Next Generation Fastpass?

What do you think about remote/advanced fast pass options?

• Love it, sounds great, about time!

Votes: 47 21.6%
  • Sounds okay, I'll wait and see.

Votes: 84 38.5%
  • Hate it, dumb idea, see lots of problems!

Votes: 75 34.4%
  • Not sure, don't care

Votes: 12 5.5%

• Total voters

tirian

If they could make it work they should imo the deluxe amenities aren't that great right now. Even charge for the Unlimited FP if you charge that would limit the number of people who get it.

You're right about how the deluxe amenities need to be improved.

A paid Unlimited FP would work under two conditions: 1) a VERY high price, and 2) a limited number. The limited number is the more important thing. The Dream Fastpasses given away during the neverending YOAMD didn't hurt the system because they were carefully distributed. As long as Disney controlled the number of Unlimited FPs being sold, they wouldn't hurt the system.

But an Unlimited FP would probably be available to everybody (lots of wealthy people stay off site), and would probably not be limited to just Deluxe Resort guests, making our entire discussion moot.

stlbobby

I don't like it but they should be an upper level FP offered. Keep FP the way it is but if you are staying in a deluxe resort you should get an upper level FP that it unlimited.

Quite serious. I have been to US exactly one time since they eliminated the free express pass (been there many times before that). I was in town at a convention so I had no reason to stay at one of their resorts. I spent the majority of my day in line watching resort guests pass me over and over again in the express pass line. My only option would have been to shell out and additional $30-$40 for the pay express pass. If a theme park requires me to stay in one of their resorts or shell out almost as much as an extra 50% of the ticket price for a pass to be able actually enjoy the attractions then they will not see a dime of my money. I have not been back since and don't plan on going back any time soon.

These two posts do a good job of summing up the arguments here. The problem with implementing a system that favors a certain class of people inside the parks is you run the risk of alienating another class of people.

Disney obviously wants to appeal to those willing to spend for a premium experience, but they cannot do so at the expense of the regular visitor.

Why FP's are a bigger issue that other perks is they are a limited resource. They are essentially access to the attractions and unlike dinning, pools, or rooms, they cannot be increased for one group without victimizing another.

When Disney opens a new signature dinning venue they are offering a new choice to higher end guests, but they aren't depriving the regular guests of anything. That cannot be done with FP's it is a limited resource.

Even Extra Magic hours do not deprive non-resort guests of anything. They don't get less hours than they normally would, they just don't get the extra hours.

And to those that say no one would skip a WDW vacation due to the loss of FP. They are wrong. There would be a small contingent that would quit attending as a protest, but in the long term, as people kept watching preferred guests continually passing them in line, they would lose attendance.

I maintain Disney has found a great compromise, the resort guests and non-resort guest system, and will continue using this system in the parks in the foreseeable future. It offers special perks to those willing to give Disney a greater portion of their vacation dollar, while setting up a top tier everyone can buy into and feel part of the magic, striking a balance between privilege and egalitarianism.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

A paid Unlimited FP would work under two conditions: 1) a VERY high price, and 2) a limited number. The limited number is the more important thing. The Dream Fastpasses given away during the neverending YOAMD didn't hurt the system because they were carefully distributed. As long as Disney controlled the number of Unlimited FPs being sold, they wouldn't hurt the system.

But an Unlimited FP would probably be available to everybody (lots of wealthy people stay off site), and would probably not be limited to just Deluxe Resort guests, making our entire discussion moot.
I often thought that the dream passes were a real world test for a pay for fast pass idea. Given that it has been almost 3 years and there is such system in place I am guessing that it did not go over all that well.

Mr. Morrow

I would make it exclusive deluxe resort guest (that limits the ammount) then charge for it ( This will further reduce the ammount of people who get it). I think thins could work.

DisneyJoe

because right now they basically pay out the nose for a better bed and proximity to one theme park.

Deluxe Resorts also have:

Extensive food service: a signature restaurant or two, a non-signature restaurant, and a quick service location as well as in-room dining

Health Club Facilities - which are free to deluxe resort guests

Inside hallways - you are usually protected from the elements (except at the GF, Poly and Contemporary, depending on your room location)

Coffee maker in your room, newspaper delivery to your door each morning

More recreational opportunities - tennis courts, marina

Child care facilities at most deluxe resorts

Nightly turndown service

Most have barber and beauty shops

Most have business centers

SoccerMickey

Extensive food service: a signature restaurant or two, a non-signature restaurant, and a quick service location as well as in-room dining
Inside hallways - you are usually protected from the elements (except at the Coffee maker in your room, newspaper delivery to your door each morning
Child care facilities
Nightly turndown service

most Comfort inns and Courtyard by Marriot offer those same amenities plus offer free continental breakfasts and nightly manager's receptions which none of the Disney resorts offer and Disney is usually three times the price of the other hotels too. As been stated before Disney really needs to up the ante on the perks for their deluxe resort guests if they want to give those folks the premium disney experience that they offer.
On a side note I can imagine how ticked I would be if i was staying st grand, poly, or contemp and had to share a bus with all three resorts, especially after shelling out the dough to stay in one of three of disney's most expensive resorts while pop century gets it's own bus

devoy1701

Inside hallways - you are usually protected from the elements (except at the GF, Poly and Contemporary, depending on your room location)

Coffee maker in your room, newspaper delivery to your door each morning

Child care facilities at most deluxe resorts

Nightly turndown service

most of these, while convenient to being at the Deluxe resorts, are not exclusively for the use of those guests. Child care, marina, restaurants to name a few. The moderate resorts also have coffee makers, fridges, and marinas, health clubs, and some fine dining.

So i think those examples do not qualify.

I agree that the "perks" for deluxe accomodations could be made better. A nice one would be access to a theme park after hours for 3 hours on a night that is NOT EMH.

MCC1

Not like the person in front of me at the FP machine at Kali River Rapids yersterday? He had a stack of park tickets the size of a deck of cards to get FP's for. :brick:Wish they had another way of doing this. Possibly the CM in that area could get them what they need without feeding them through the machines.

...if there's one thing that elevates my blood pressure...it's those tour groups sending the solo guide with the stack to print out a billion FP's...get in the shortest line, think you're all set & bingo...some clown's clogging up the works for 20 minutes...:fork:

devoy1701

Only Coronado Springs has a health club....

What moderate resort has fine dining???

i mispoke with using the word "fine". but you still are missing the point that most of those amenities are open to all WDW guests, not just Deluxe guests, so how should they be considered a Perk for staying at a Deluxe resort?

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
most of these, while convenient to being at the Deluxe resorts, are not exclusively for the use of those guests. Child care, marina, restaurants to name a few. The moderate resorts also have coffee makers, fridges, and marinas, health clubs, and some fine dining.

So i think those examples do not qualify.

I find it odd that you don't consider them as qualifications. While the amenities are available for anybody to use, the fact that the resort has them on its property makes it very convenient to those staying there which is a perk in my book. Not to mention that most deluxe also have nicer pools.

OneMansDream

I don't think this will work. The current FastPass system is fine. It works out pretty well for me and I assume it does for most people. They only want a new way to get more people to stay in deluxe hotels and spend more money. Walt would not be happy.

tirian

I find it odd that you don't consider them as qualifications. While the amenities are available for anybody to use, the fact that the resort has them on its property makes it very convenient to those staying there which is a perk in my book. Not to mention that most deluxe also have nicer pools.

You don't get any special rights to dine there just because you're in the hotel, and the DDP has made it impossible for even concierge to squeeze you in to the restaurant in your hotel. :( And some of the restaurants, especially at the Grand Floridian, are obviously set up and priced to feed tourists, not hotel guests. That's why the counter service restaurants have to keep being expanded for the people who are actually staying at the hotels (examples: Captain Cook's at the Poly and the Contempo Grill at the Contemporary).

tirian

I maintain Disney has found a great compromise, the resort guests and non-resort guest system, and will continue using this system in the parks in the foreseeable future. It offers special perks to those willing to give Disney a greater portion of their vacation dollar, while setting up a top tier everyone can buy into and feel part of the magic, striking a balance between privilege and egalitarianism.

I agree.

Mr. Morrow

You don't get any special rights to dine there just because you're in the hotel, and the DDP has made it impossible for even concierge to squeeze you in to the restaurant in your hotel. :( And some of the restaurants, especially at the Grand Floridian, are obviously set up and priced to feed tourists, not hotel guests. That's why the counter service restaurants have to keep being expanded for the people who are actually staying at the hotels (examples: Captain Cook's at the Poly and the Contempo Grill at the Contemporary).

Why not make resevation!

Disney15

I think it is a horrible idea. You can sit at your hotel and get fastpasses for a ride when you are not even in the park. It makes absolutely no sense
at all. Where is the fun in that?

devoy1701

I think it is a horrible idea. You can sit at your hotel and get fastpasses for a ride when you are not even in the park. It makes absolutely no sense
at all. Where is the fun in that?

i don't find anything about the system for acquiring FPs fun? :shrug:

Biff215

Any FP's based on which resort you're in sounds like a bad idea to me. I already feel like I get dirty looks from people in the standby line as I move past them, and they had the same access to it as I did!

And this is coming from someone who typically stays at the deluxe resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom