Next Generation Fastpass?

What do you think about remote/advanced fast pass options?

• Love it, sounds great, about time!

Votes: 47 21.6%
  • Sounds okay, I'll wait and see.

Votes: 84 38.5%
  • Hate it, dumb idea, see lots of problems!

Votes: 75 34.4%
  • Not sure, don't care

Votes: 12 5.5%

• Total voters

devoy1701

But if a guest didn't use their FP during their hour then the standby line went that much faster so the actual number of standby guests isn't impacted.

The return time is posted, but many times you only have a single opportunity to get a FP. If you have to wait you can miss getting one altogether. That doesn't seem fair if the TSMM FP return time happens to be during the time you booked an ADR six months prior, and if you leave and come back they'll probably be gone.

I also believe in passing off FP's. On the occasions I have left for the day with a valid pass I've always given them to a kid, but sometimes those passes are past their return time, wouldn't be sad if the CM told that kid no?

If it is just a matter of the rules are the rules, would you stop caring if Disney stopped printing a window and only had a return time?

Because effectively the rule is anytime after the return time. The second time is to prevent miscommunication and abuse. If Disney didn't have an expiration people would try and use passes days later claiming it was after the return time or horde them and try and ride multiple times at the end of the night. As absurd as these ideas are they would happen and this is what they are guarding against. They're not trying to corral people into specific time frames.

It is like when McDonald's puts and expiration date on a coupon. It is company policy to take an expired coupon unless it just isn't possible. The expiration is only there to keep people from coming in ten years later and demanding a sandwich isn't even on the menu, even then the manager will give the customer the option of a discounted current menu item.

while in theory is seems like it would all even out... you're going to find times where it does impact a guests experiences...such as after a 3 oclock parade, after a firework show, after the normal dinner rush, etc. I going to go out on a limb and say that those are the times when most people would use FPs that are past their original windows the most, so you're definitely going to be impacting those people who do have FPs posted for during that window when everyone is returning with their expired passes because of some schedule inconvienance.

edit: missed something in your first post. The most inconvenience isn't happening to the Stand-by line, but actually those in the FP line.

stlbobby

I should really do my research before I post things... It is now my understanding that this program was for DisneyLAND, and has since expired.

Thank you for serving.

Oh well poo. Now I'm never going back. :lol:

I think Disney does a great job for the military.

I have heard Universal has even better deals. They don't have the details readily available on-line and I haven't taken the time to track down the current deals. But, one of my buddies went in 2006 just before we deployed and he got in free and his family members were less than half price or something. I remember him being extremely pleased and surprised with how generous the deal was. I always mean to check it out, but with the AP I find it hard to leave Mouse World.

stlbobby

while in theory is seems like it would all even out... you're going to find times where it does impact a guests experiences...such as after a 3 oclock parade, after a firework show, after the normal dinner rush, etc. I going to go out on a limb and say that those are the times when most people would use FPs that are past their original windows the most, so you're definitely going to be impacting those people who do have FPs posted for during that window when everyone is returning with their expired passes because of some schedule inconvienance.

edit: missed something in your first post. The most inconvenience isn't happening to the Stand-by line, but actually those in the FP line.

If your contention is that the back-up occurs in the FP line, and most specifically after big events, then that makes sense, but is it a big enough problem to force a guest to chose between a parade of fireworks and a FP? The FP lines move so quickly anyway a short burst of guests really doesn't seem that big of a deal.

I stick by my contention that the standby line is unaffected because it is moving faster during the event while the FP's aren't being used so when it slows down it is just balancing back out.

wizards8507

If your contention is that the back-up occurs in the FP line, and most specifically after big events, then that makes sense, but is it a big enough problem to force a guest to chose between a parade of fireworks and a FP? The FP lines move so quickly anyway a short burst of guests really doesn't seem that big of a deal.

I stick by my contention that the standby line is unaffected because it is moving faster during the event while the FP's aren't being used so when it slows down it is just balancing back out.

Yeah but just because the end of the day "average" works out to a zero-sum game, the people who are IN line during the "balancing out" period aren't too pleased.

stlbobby

Yeah but just because the end of the day "average" works out to a zero-sum game, the people who are IN line during the "balancing out" period aren't too pleased.

It's not an end of the day balance. It's pretty immediate. If the argument is the parades and other events cause a bump in FP use after they conclude then it holds that there must be fewer being used during the event. So for approximately an hour the standby line moves more quickly and then for about a half an hour after the event it slows down. The whole process takes about an hour and a half maybe two hours to work itself back out.

That unlucky person at the merge point when the FP burst gets there wouldn't have been that far along had there not been a dearth of FP's during the event. So that unlucky soul's wait time overall isn't really affected.

Yes, that is a lot of semantics and isn't much comfort to that guy standing waiting for the FPers, but really is it that much of a problem to make guests chose between ADR's, parades, and fireworks to make FP times?

mrbghd

I have some questions for the posters that are irritated that people use their FP's after the appointed time.

Why is this such an issue?
What should a guest do if their FP return time falls during an ADR?
Or while they are back in the room for their necessary midday rest?
Or during a parade?
Should they have to give-up their chance to ride because the luck of the draw put their FP at an inconvenient time?

I personally have no problem with using the FP's late and would like to better understand the argument for limiting to the window.

My sole issue is one of personal responsibility. The return time is clearly posted for everyone to see. The person getting the fastpass can make that decision whether or not they can make it back during that window. Disney has no problem with the use of "expired" fp's because theoretically the person is not in line they are out spending money. But the my question is this: Doesn't a CM letting a person in with an "expired" FP also foster bad will? I have seen people throw fits and get irate when this happens. Isn't that the same reaction as tiered FP's?

stlbobby

My sole issue is one of personal responsibility. The return time is clearly posted for everyone to see. The person getting the fastpass can make that decision whether or not they can make it back during that window. Disney has no problem with the use of "expired" fp's because theoretically the person is not in line they are out spending money. But the my question is this: Doesn't a CM letting a person in with an "expired" FP also foster bad will? I have seen people throw fits and get irate when this happens. Isn't that the same reaction as tiered FP's?

My two reasons for wondering why it would be a problem are:

1. If the rule is applied evenly to everyone, i.e. anyone can use an expired pass, and not just to certain people why would that be a problem?

2. How do other guests know when your pass expires? How do they know if someone is entering on an expired pass?

Just because you know when a FP is scheduled when you get it doesn't really give you control over the time, you can't ask for a later time when you get the FP. If you leave you have to waste precious time returning and that is hit or miss at best; all the passes could be gone, or you could be into another undesirable block by the time you return. You could sit and wait for the clock to change but that could take quite a bit of time at some rides, especially if your talking about ADR's where you may need over an hour or more delay on the FP.

And if the rule was strictly enforced no one would want FP's during the parades and then the clock would never move forward essentially killing the FP for the ride. And often times being late isn't the guest's fault, a ride can get stuck or a waiter takes forever, sometimes just judging how long it will take to get across a park can be a challenge.

Wouldn't it suck if you missed your FP to Space Mountain because you were stuck on Splash, or just caught behind a tour group? How would you make the choice between letting a four-year-old use the potty and getting to Pooh to use an expiring FP? How would you explain it to the kid?

I personally think the amount of passes that get used late is minimal and it doesn't really hold up the process enough to warrant such concerns.

I will pose this question again, if they just didn't print an expiration time on the pass would you care?

mrbghd

I will pose this question again, if they just didn't print an expiration time on the pass would you care?

Fair question. I don't know, is the honest answer. I think the system truly would overload at certain times by eliminating the return time. I think you are correct that the number of people using expired fp's is minimal it is probably less than 10-15%.

Mickey is King

Fair question. I don't know, is the honest answer. I think the system truly would overload at certain times by eliminating the return time. I think you are correct that the number of people using expired fp's is minimal it is probably less than 10-15%.

I agree with this, it is probably minimal. No easy answers on this one, we will all have to wait and see I guess.

FYI : I NEVER said I COULDN'T afford it.:wave:
Just thought it might give an unfair advantage to some. Actually I do o.k.- money- wise that is. I wasn't whining, just standing up for the little guy- they need it sometimes. I like to call it being nice and not self-serving.

Mickey is King

The quote this post came from was in response to the "it is not fair that some people can afford deluxe hotels" argument. My point is this, if we want it to be "fair, lets make it where everyone can go. Make all the resorts the no frills types such as Motel 6 so they can be inexpensive for everyone. It is not about how I feel about others at all, it is about the fairness argument. You are the one that associated Motel 6 with scumbags not me.

Nice to know you feel that way about everyone else in the world, you are aware that only about 15% of the people in this country make $100,000 yr. . or more.
Never said it wasn't fair that some people coun't afford more, just the unfair advantage to FP of attactions thing.

Thanks for calling me a scumbag dude. By the way , I have stayed on Maui at the FourSeasons & the Maui Prince(VERY PRICEY). Rent cottages on the cape in July, and hit WDW every other yr. or so. I have dropped 5 figures on a vacation before dude. I try to be a LITTLE BIT modest in my posts.

Scumbag is a attitude or disposition, not a financial situation. You should know the difference.

For lack of a better term, on first impression, you are a snob. I don't dislike anyone but your attitide is very ,well, snobby. You attract more bears with honey than vinegar my friend.

wizards8507

I believe someone had lauded this thread for it's meainingful posts being made in late pages of the conversation (this may have been a different thread, but I'm pretty sure it was this one). Unfortunately, this is no longer the case, and this thread seems destined to fizzle out into the bowels of jibery and jabery.

RIP.

devoy1701

I believe someone had lauded this thread for it's meainingful posts being made in late pages of the conversation (this may have been a different thread, but I'm pretty sure it was this one). Unfortunately, this is no longer the case, and this thread seems destined to fizzle out into the bowels of jibery and jabery.

RIP.

agreed. This thread has died. :dazzle:

mrbghd

Nice to know you feel that way about everyone else in the world, you are aware that only about 15% of the people in this country make $100,000 yr. . or more.
Never said it wasn't fair that some people coun't afford more, just the unfair advantage to FP of attactions thing.

Thanks for calling me a scumbag dude. By the way , I have stayed on Maui at the FourSeasons & the Maui Prince(VERY PRICEY). Rent cottages on the cape in July, and hit WDW every other yr. or so. I have dropped 5 figures on a vacation before dude. I try to be a LITTLE BIT modest in my posts.

Scumbag is a attitude or disposition, not a financial situation. You should know the difference.

For lack of a better term, on first impression, you are a snob. I don't dislike anyone but your attitide is very ,well, snobby. You attract more bears with honey than vinegar my friend.

I never once called you a scumbag, as I know nothing about you in order to make that type of asessment. What I said was that you were the one that associated the word scumbag with the Motel 6 chain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom