Next generation FASTPASS system to begin guest testing this week

DrummerAlly

Hi all,

I was in the World from may 1st to the 7th, just got back.

Briefly read through this thread, and decided I had to post, since everyone is full of opinions without having actually used it.

I was "one of the chosen", which is basically everyone who was coming into the world using the Magical Express. I was asked if I wanted to participate in the testing of the NEW Fastpast system ( those might not have been the exact words, but that is the gist of it ), so I say who would say no to getting some fastpasses :p
I was asked for my email, which I gave to them, but I explained that I could not or had no way to access my email, at which point I was told that I could not participate. to which I said "what?", to which another Staff member said you can go to guest services at the park and they might be able to help you. So I said OK, and chose Pooh, Pan, Haunted Mansion, and Splash, for that day ( may 1st ).
I get to the park, go to guest services, explain about the Email to which I am told, do not worry you do not need an Email to get the fastpass ( for those of you who were wondering, there's your answer ) cool. They say for when do I want it, I say right now this afternoon. they read me out a schedule, and ask if it is OK. As it happens I had no reservations or anything planned for that afternoon, as I usually just wing it on arrival day. So I say that's fine. So Off I go to Pooh, had exactly 5 minutes till the start of my window, so an hour ( plus whatever extra time they would allow ) to get to the ride. So I bolt over to pooh. I was the first official guest to use the new system there at the Winnie the Pooh ride, they made a big deal out of it.
Basically the system works like the reg. Fast pass except that you have them all before hand, I did not have to go and get my PAN FP at the start of my Pooh window, I already had it. and you have the same 1 hr window in which to use the FP, but now you know that you have them, and do not need to plan on going and get the next one, and will they be available, or will the next window work with my day. They, give you a list with all your FPs on it, and every member of your party gets a FastPass card, which you scan at each attraction.

My opinion, this is great. Far superior to the FP system that they have now. Not needing to run and get the the FP and then going back to ride the attraction was great, and the windows were all within 20 mins of each other, meaning, the end of the first window, was 5 to 20 minutes apart from the start of the next window. I got lots done in between, by knowing when and where I was going to be next in my "FP schedule", I did rides that fit within the allotted time. In between FPs I did stand by, or meet and greets ... did not try to get a regular FP while within my FP+ schedule, did not think to try it. but I think it would work, since it is not tied into your KTTW card. it's a separate card.

This could be a great addition to the parks, they ( the CMs ) were visible still figuring it out themselves, but if implemented throughout the world, this could become something really great. At least that was my experience with it.

Just got back, can't wait to go back...:wave:

The FPP as you describe would be an enhancement to my trip. Can you comment on how flexible they were with letting you choose your windows for each ride? What choices did you have for rides - was it a "pick one from this list, pick two from this list" type thing... or could you have picked FPs for all the mountains?

You're still missing my original point. You are saying that your entire day is going to have to be planned out. Why the entire day? That is the same "either/or" attitude that is baffling here. :shrug:

No, I'm not. In none of my posts have I said that anyone will definitely have to plan out their ENTIRE day. I keep repeating that I hope not. You are assuming that you will always be able to schedule the exact times you want. No doubt there will be a finite number of x-passes available for each time slot. What if by the time you use the system, all the "morning slots" are unavailable? What if they spread them out more? There are a lot of potential variables. Am I saying that you will HAVE to have your entire day planned out? No, I'm saying I hope it doesn't get to that point. You're going on the assumption that you will be able to make the system work the way you want or plan it to. Ideally, that's what we'd all want, right? To do exactly what we want, when we want to? But if you're from out of town, and you've planned your week-long visit, and you've made all your reservations months in advance ... and then here comes the local, who decides to make a visit on the weekend--who's at the advantage with guest satisfaction if I only get to do half the number of attractions due to longer stand-by times or reduced regular fast passes because of x-pass? We're all talking hypotheticals here, not facts.

I'm going on the assumption and the hope that Disney has spent part of that $2 billion on already considering all these variables. While it's true that some attractions almost require a fast pass in order to avoid waiting hours in line (Soar'n, Toy Story MM, etc) at least locals and tourists alike have an equal chance of securing a fast pass for the day, and then being able to plan accordingly. But like how it's become with dining, I really have to schedule a specific day to dine where I want to in advance if I want a hope of eating there. That has become annoying, and I make sure to let guest relations know whenever I've had a struggle with it. So, all I can do is hope for the best--since there is nothing I can change at this time--and make sure to voice my opinion directly to Disney if I experience otherwise. Likely it wouldn't change a thing, but it'd be noted.

RSoxNo1

This shouldn't be too difficult to figure out. We have attendance numbers, so we can determine how many Fastpasses will need to be available on average.

The Magic Kingdom had 16,972,000 guests in 2010, or approximately 46,500 guests per day. The proposal for Fastpass+ per guest per day at the Magic Kingdom was 3 or 4 per guest depending on attendance.

I've started making a spreadsheet so if I get any of these numbers wrong, please let me know.

The current attractions with Fastpass, and hourly capacities are:
  • Jungle Cruise: 1200 guests per hour (although they regularly hit 1350-1450)
  • Splash Mountain: Unknown, but I'll guess 1400 per hour
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad: Unknown but, I'll guess 1400 per hour
  • Peter Pan's Flight: 1200 per hour
  • Winnie the Pooh: 700 per hour
  • Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin: Unknown but, I'll guess 1850 per hour
  • Space Mountain: Unknown but, I'll guess 1500 per hour

These 7 attractions accommodate 9250 people per hour, or 111,000 guests per 12 hour day.

A 12 hour day has 136 different Fastpass intervals (12 hours*12 five minute intervals per hour less 8 intervals at the beginning of the day)

The widely understood % for Fastpasses distributed per interval is 6% of capacity, or 68% of total capacity in a 12 hour day. With the 7 rides listed above the maximum number of distributed Fastpasses is 75480 per day.

Now if you add in the following attractions (with hourly estimates):
  • Pirates of the Caribbean 2000
  • The Haunted Mansion 2000
  • It's A Small World 2000
  • Mickey's PhilharMagic 1750
  • Stitch's Great Escape 1200
  • Monster's Inc Laugh Floor 1200
  • Tomorrowland Speedway 800
  • Dumbo the Flying Elephant 1200
  • Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid 1850
  • The Seven Dwarf's Mine Train 1300
  • Mad Tea Party 950
  • Prince Charming Regal Carrousel 850
That brings the total capacity per hour to 26,350 and 316,200 per day.

If each of the 46,500 guests acquired 4 Fastpass+ per day, that would be 186,000 Fastpass+ per day, which is higher than the original Fastpass distribution amount (111,000), however the new total Fastpasses available with everything gaining eligibility is 215,016 per day. This would mean 86.51% of Fastpasses would be distributed using Fastpass+

While I understand that not every guest will use Fastpass+, it's also safe to understand that attendance will be higher than 46,500 on some days as well. There are also other potential offerings like Parade and Fireworks viewing that can change the numbers, but this is a decent starting point.

I think the best way for this to work is that the plans can only be made day of. To maximize efficiency, Disney will want to ensure that a guest is at the very least on or near property, if not already "checked" into that park. Otherwise there will be wasted reservations that will limit the Fastpass availability of day guests.

I put a spreadsheet together with all this data so if people have more accurate information I can manipulate the numbers to one that's more accurate.

G00fyDad

With Toy Story Mania, your plans for the ENTIRE day is on the table if you want a FastPass (and as we know, avoiding FP is a "choice" but a stupid one). You can't just decide to get it done with in the morning--the system decides when you get to ride.

I very much suspect that quickly FPP will result in people not being able to schedule "only" the morning time for their reservations. It will be like Toy Story Mania on steroids--everyone wants in, and you have to play along and hope for the best.

If that truly is the case then I'll be skipping xPass as well. That would suck having to plan out the whole day. I have read several places that say (of course it is all speculation for now) that you can schedule your times. I take that to mean that I can choose my times. If it were the other way around and Disney chose them then it would have read Disney can schedule your times.

Guppy_121

The FPP as you describe would be an enhancement to my trip. Can you comment on how flexible they were with letting you choose your windows for each ride? What choices did you have for rides - was it a "pick one from this list, pick two from this list" type thing... or could you have picked FPs for all the mountains?

Hi,

the way it was set up for this test run, they made you pick 2 rides from a choice of 4, and then another 2 from another choice of four. To be honest I did not notice if there was 2 "mountains" on the same side, or on either side. ( Big Thunder was down, so I am sure it was not on the lists ) I THINK, that there was Space mtn on one side and Spalsh one the other ( i know splash was there since I chose that one, can not be sure about space, since my kids are too young / fearful of that one, so I would not have picked it. )
But you could take any 2 form one side, and any 2 from the other.

as for the times, they let you pick from 3 or 4 options.. something along the lines of from A: noon - 6, B: 3 - 9, C: 4 - 10 ... or something like that, and then when they finally give you your list of choices, they ask if those times are okay for you, if not they will move them around to accommodate your schedule ( Dining res. or whatever else ).

My schedule was as follows: Pooh 2:25pm to 3:25pm, Peter Pan 3:35pm to 4:35pm, Haunted Mansion 4:45pm to 5:45pm, Splash 6:25pm to 7:25pm

You could also chose which day of your trip you wanted it for, I chose the same day since that worked best for me.

Hope this helps :wave:

Buried20KLeague

Hi,

the way it was set up for this test run, they made you pick 2 rides from a choice of 4, and then another 2 from another choice of four. To be honest I did not notice if there was 2 "mountains" on the same side, or on either side. ( Big Thunder was down, so I am sure it was not on the lists ) I THINK, that there was Space mtn on one side and Spalsh one the other ( i know splash was there since I chose that one, can not be sure about space, since my kids are too young / fearful of that one, so I would not have picked it. )
But you could take any 2 form one side, and any 2 from the other.

as for the times, they let you pick from 3 or 4 options.. something along the lines of from A: noon - 6, B: 3 - 9, C: 4 - 10 ... or something like that, and then when they finally give you your list of choices, they ask if those times are okay for you, if not they will move them around to accommodate your schedule ( Dining res. or whatever else ).

My schedule was as follows: Pooh 2:25pm to 3:25pm, Peter Pan 3:35pm to 4:35pm, Haunted Mansion 4:45pm to 5:45pm, Splash 6:25pm to 7:25pm

You could also chose which day of your trip you wanted it for, I chose the same day since that worked best for me.

Hope this helps :wave:

My guess is that this first test was more about testing the SYSTEM, as opposed to testing the scheduling aspect. With so few people testing (rumored to be maybe a dozen per hour at each attraction), they're not putting any load at all on FP times.

While the time windows you describe could well be similar to what they have planned long term, I'm sure they were being overly flexible with people during this first test. Add tens of thousands of people to the mix and it will get more limited, either in time windows or available attractions.

Witchy Chick

I would also like to know if the ability to park-hop-with-FP+ was available. Has anyone during this test period been able to schedule a couple of FP+ in one park for the morning, while scheduling the other two FP+ in a different park for the evening?

Thanks!!

Witchy

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I would also like to know if the ability to park-hop-with-FP+ was available. Has anyone during this test period been able to schedule a couple of FP+ in one park for the morning, while scheduling the other two FP+ in a different park for the evening?

Thanks!!

Witchy
Right now it will not be as MK is the only park where testing is taking place.

Sigmundooze

I know this is just part of the billion dollar nextgen but how in sam hill did this get approved. How will this recoup the investment spent? They are fixing things that aren't broken. I just dont get it. You have eye sores on property that deperately need attention and you choose this. How are people not fired for this?

WDWFREAK53

I know this is just part of the billion dollar nextgen but how in sam hill did this get approved. How will this recoup the investment spent? They are fixing things that aren't broken. I just dont get it. You have eye sores on property that deperately need attention and you choose this. How are people not fired for this?

How will they recoup their investment?

Let's see...

Ok, well all of those people that normally wouldn't use FastPass decide to use it...that means they're waiting in line a lot less. If people have the opportunity to choose 4 FP's per day...they will use 4 per day rather than the average "1" now. People again, are waiting a lot less time in line.

Now...if they're not waiting in line, what are they doing? They are more likely spending money. You're not spending money if you're waiting in a queue.

If you fix the Yeti...how do you recoup your investment? Sure, it's good show...but the average guest doesn't even really notice the problems. The people that REALLY notice them are us...the people who know the place inside and out (and let's face it...we're always going to go.).

fosse76

If that truly is the case then I'll be skipping xPass as well. That would suck having to plan out the whole day. I have read several places that say (of course it is all speculation for now) that you can schedule your times. I take that to mean that I can choose my times. If it were the other way around and Disney chose them then it would have read Disney can schedule your times.

This is essentially an ADR for attractions. You can only pick times that are available. Otherwise, what would be the point? FP lines would be just as long as standby. I imagine that the fact the system isn't running anywhere near full capacity makes it easier for those participating to get the time of their choice. If this were available ONLY day of, I would be a lot more supportive of the system. But we'll see. The only true way to combt wait times is to build more attractions. And not just headline attractions, but attractions that won't necessarily bring in any significant number of people, but rather exist to spread out the crowds.

Mawg

I'm betting they will be availble earlier than the day of. I would like to see them only be available the day of too, but I think part of this next generation is to track guests and plan for crowds. If they open the reservation system up a month ahead and it gets good use, they'll have a better idea of how many guests will be at each park each day and what time frames. Right now predicting park crowds is more of an art than a science. They'll also be able to recomend and strongly suggest going to a different park that day if all the FastPass+'s are gone, more evenly distributing the crowds between parks.

Buried20KLeague

This is essentially an ADR for attractions. You can only pick times that are available. Otherwise, what would be the point? FP lines would be just as long as standby. I imagine that the fact the system isn't running anywhere near full capacity makes it easier for those participating to get the time of their choice. If this were available ONLY day of, I would be a lot more supportive of the system. But we'll see. The only true way to combt wait times is to build more attractions. And not just headline attractions, but attractions that won't necessarily bring in any significant number of people, but rather exist to spread out the crowds.

This. A lot.

Buried20KLeague

Another thought...

The point of this whole thing is so people aren't standing in ques and instead are out and about, spending money.

Think about how crowded the walkways currently are, largely due to the current FP system. Rather than being in standby lines, those people are somewhere else in the park, largely in the walkways.

It seems to me a logical result of a far expanded FP program would mean even MORE crowded walkways, since the point is to get people out of standby lines.

Is it even possible to make the walkways more crowded??? It's INSANE right now as it is! Disneyland is even worse, as it was built with smaller walkways in general.

I just think once this whole system is implemented, there are going to be far-reaching "kinks" it causes that they're not planning for.

njDizFan

Just wondering how the FP+ and regular FP will coexist. If you have scheduled FP+s will that block you from getting regular FPs?

Mawg

Just wondering how the FP+ and regular FP will coexist. If you have scheduled FP+s will that block you from getting regular FPs?

I'd like to know if they plan on doing this as well, can you get a FastPass+ and a FastPass for the same attraction at the same time and ride it twice with no standby line? Can you not get fastpasses for any attractions if you have some FastPass+'s that day already. I think in the end though they will not coexist, they are just giving us that line of bull for the moment, the ratio will change every year and eventually no more FastPass they'll be phased out.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Another thought...

The point of this whole thing is so people aren't standing in ques and instead are out and about, spending money.

Think about how crowded the walkways currently are, largely due to the current FP system. Rather than being in standby lines, those people are somewhere else in the park, largely in the walkways.

It seems to me a logical result of a far expanded FP program would mean even MORE crowded walkways, since the point is to get people out of standby lines.

Is it even possible to make the walkways more crowded??? It's INSANE right now as it is! Disneyland is even worse, as it was built with smaller walkways in general.

I just think once this whole system is implemented, there are going to be far-reaching "kinks" it causes that they're not planning for.

There is no reason to think that it will be any different than it is now. So far, nothing we have heard has indicated that there will be more or less fast passes then there are now, they will simply be distributed differently.

Buried20KLeague

There is no reason to think that it will be any different than it is now. So far, nothing we have heard has indicated that there will be more or less fast passes then there are now, they will simply be distributed differently.

I disagree... They are adding FP+ to a multitude of attractions that currently don't have FP.

That tells me that those people won't in a standby line for those attractions... Hence, they're have to be somewhere else.

We don't know if they're changing the number of FP's for rides that currently have FP... But they've obviously adding capacity to the system by adding a number of attractions to the roster.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom