Next Gen Busses

The Mom

Premium Member
I'm not saying it's better........
"When the word bus was new, the two plurals were in competition, but busesovertook busses in frequency in the 1930s, and today is the overwhelming choice of writers and editors. Busses was the preferred form in Merriam-Webster dictionaries until 1961."

Merriam-Webster dictionaries prefer it.

This may be hard to believe, but some of us learned to read and write prior to 1961. ;)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Oxford says that "busses" is the US pluralization.

Collins says that the plural is "buses" but as a verb, 3rd person singular is "busses."

American Heritage lists both forms as OK.

So... they're all over the place.
You ask your wife
And I'll ask my missus
If she kisses a bus
Or busses a kisses.

Tom Morrow

If it were just the bussses, it wouldn't be a big deal. But it's also the restaurants - more and more are being converted to character dining. It's the parks - more and more classic attractions are getting the IP-ification treatment and we will not see another original creation at WDW for the foreseeable future. Every recent and upcoming attraction is IP-based, even though most of the classic WDW attractions were NOT IP-based. It's the shows - again, everything original being swapped out for IP content. It's the parking lot names (DHS recently renamed them to characters just like MK). It's the gondolas. And so on. Chapek's soulless stuffed shirt is trying it's hardest to cynically shoehorn in characters in every possible spot he can.

And IP is fine if 1. It's done right - I love Pandora and Galaxy's Edge, and 2. It's balanced with original creations. These bus wraps are not a good implementation of IP, they're just tacky branding, like slapping Pixar movies on carnival rides. It's weird how at odds these and the gondola wraps are with WDW's other recent high end environments like Pandora, Galaxy's Edge, Disney Springs, which are all anything but tacky.

G00fyDad

As a side note.... it seems the busses are being wrapped to go with the Skyliner opening. While I would personally prefer a more character free design on both, if the idea is to change over the busses to match the skyliner that makes way more sense then just a few random character busses roaming around.

I saw some of the gondolas testing and realized the design was similar and it was one of those “ah-ha” moments.

Just so long as they do not try to put a wrap on the ferry boats or make the wraps on the monorail permanent. Although I do not put it past the current TDO leadership.

Marc Davis Fan

Chapek's soulless stuffed shirt is trying it's hardest to cynically shoehorn in characters in every possible spot he can.

Cynical is they key word. I’ve been thinking about why this is so troubling, and I believe a major reason is this: Disney has historically thought highly of its guests, and *sincerely* sought to offer them quality, with the understanding that such quality would be appreciated (even if not always consciously). These new developments come across as cynically looking down upon guests (“throw more characters at them, they’ll eat it up”)... but that’s not what made Disney successful, and indeed, not doing things like that is precisely what set Disney apart. It’s another case of focusing on short-term gains to the detriment of long-term holistic impacts.

gustaftp

I'm not a huge fan of the wraps, but they aren't terrible. I would've liked to see a design that was understated and sublime rather than "in your face".

However, they certainly are better than the wraps this terrible grocery store has been putting on local buses and trains:
HyVee-Full-Wrap.jpg

ToTBellHop

I don’t mind them. I personally hate the WDW bus situation. It’s the least pleasant part of my vacation. The characters make my kids happy. When waiting for who-knows-how-long-cuz-the-time-keeps-changing, happier kids makes my vacation better.

I’m not for overuse of IP either. But the buses already sucked.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'm not a huge fan of the wraps, but they aren't terrible. I would've liked to see a design that was understated and sublime rather than "in your face".

However, they certainly are better than the wraps this terrible grocery store has been putting on local buses and trains:
HyVee-Full-Wrap.jpg

Somewhere in Minneapolis? Can't see the bus route number to know for sure. :)

Chapek and his henchmen see the rubes customers guests as one thing - walking ATMs to extract money from. Whatever they can do to get more $$$ from them, it will be done (as long as it doesn't cost much).

Tom Morrow

Cynical is they key word. I’ve been thinking about why this is so troubling, and I believe a major reason is this: Disney has historically thought highly of its guests, and *sincerely* sought to offer them quality, with the understanding that such quality would be appreciated (even if not always consciously). These new developments come across as cynically looking down upon guests (“throw more characters at them, they’ll eat it up”)... but that’s not what made Disney successful, and indeed, not doing things like that is precisely what set Disney apart. It’s another case of focusing on short-term gains to the detriment of long-term holistic impacts.
Absolutely. It's 100% cynical and they're barely attempting to hide it. I imagine that the responsible teams had to fight tooth and nail for Epcot's upcoming new lands to maintain the Epcot mission statement when Chapek probably wanted "Moana Land", "Guardians Outpost", etc.

Disney? Cartoony?

Perish the thought.
WDW would not be the most popular destination in the world if all along it was nothing but tacky stuff like this.

I think it's cool. I like it. Having them at the bus stops would ALSO be fabulous, I like it.
And pshaw, the wrap is fine, good heavens everyone. Kids will love it. Non-kids will stop seeing it after .5 seconds.
WDW would not be the most popular destination in the world if all along it only catered to what makes children happy.

I'm not "foaming at the mouth" over these bus wraps, but they demonstrate and are a slice of a big problem with Iger and Chapek's approach to the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom