New York City, Characters in the Wild, and Canadians - Eh!

It’s time for another cruise trip report! I just finished my Disneyland trip report, and finally had time to work on this report! It was a great trip where we met some new friends, saw characters galore and some beautiful sights! Here’s a sneak peak of our view on the last morning:

Canada2688timelinebtestbnew.jpg

And here’s my plug of the trip report! I’m going to plug the Unofficial Wdwmagic Girls Cruise! If you haven’t heard, we are planning a 4 night Bahamian Disney cruise on September 8, 2013. There are already almost 30 us signed up! We are going to have so much fun! If you've wanted to try cruising, or wanted to meet some of your Wdwmagic friends - here's your chance! It's not too late! :)

What:

A five night Canadian cruise on the Disney Magic.

A military rate for the New York to Canada cruises came out, it was too good to pass up! Not to mention we didn’t have to fly anywhere!

We live in DC right now and New York is a quick bus/train ride/drive away.

Who:

Adults only this time!

We decided against taking the kids for this one since school just started and DS is a senior (sniff), so we asked several friends. It was pretty last minute, but one other couple from church could get away so there were four of us.

Here we are - Dh (Stephen), Myself, Steve “Buddha” and Misty –

Canada2155.jpg

We had a Steve and a Stephen. Luckily the other Steve has gone by his old call sign from his military days for years. Yes, we call him Buddha. :D

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Loving this report already! I have yet to read your last report, but I am getting to it slowly but surely! Now I have to start writing my trip report from last week! (and study for my Fundamentals of Engineering exam to become an "Engineer in Training" at the end of the month, which I haven't studied for yet...oh no!)

Definitely different seeing a cruise go out of NYC! I just love the characters in their cruise outfits!!! They are so darn cute! I can't wait til our girls cruise!!!! 340 days!!!!! :D

Thanks, Jess! I'll have to watch for your report! But maybe the engineering exam is more important right now! :)

340 days!! Woo hoo!!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Thursday, September 12 – Day at Sea

I slept until about 7:30 and Stephen woke up about 6:30 or so. He went running while I slept. He saw a pod of dolphins while he was running! Jealous!! I guess the early bird gets the worm! Or the dolphins?

It was absolutely gorgeous out. We left the verandah open most of the morning.

Canada1231.jpg

Canada1234.jpg

Canada1236.jpg

We ordered room service, so we just ate that in the room. Stephen was silly and started to get some before I took a picture. He was reprimanded.

Canada1239.jpg

Verandah toes!

Canada1243.jpg

At 9:00 we planned on going to the DVC member reception if we were up, and we were. It was packed since there was a DVC discount on the cruise.

Canada1246.jpg

Canada1247.jpg

Canada1253.jpg

When we left, I was feeling a little nauseated. The seas weren’t rough, but we seemed to be rolling a bit. So we headed back to the room to get some Dramamine.

Canada1258.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
We passed Buddha and Misty in the princess line! They’re so fun. :) We made plans to meet for lunch and said goodbye for now.

When we stopped by the room we finally met our stateroom host, Suresh. He was super nice, but his voice reminded me of someone. It nagged me all week until I finally figured it out! He sounded exactly like the lead alien on Galaxy Quest!! Lol! I can’t even describe it if you haven’t seen it, but I could have closed my eyes and thought I was watching the movie, that’s how close it was. I love that movie!

Here’s our DVC swag:

Canada1297.jpg

Canada1298.jpg

We went up top so I could get a Coke and something to eat to make me feel better. Those did the trick. I felt much better.

Canada1260.jpg

Canada1264.jpg

Canada1265.jpg

Canada1267.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Kiddie pool:

Canada1295.jpg

We walked for a while, and then it was time for the gold and platinum Castaway Club reception.
It was packed as well. They brought around drinks and yummy snacks. Peter welcomed us all and pointed out a couple that was on their 46th Disney cruise! Wow!!

Captain Mickey was there!

Canada1299.jpg

Here were some finger foods that I didn’t really care for:

Canada1304.jpg

I had this yummy non-alcoholic concoction. Two of them actually!

Canada1306.jpg

I have to say, even with all of the platters of food working the room, you know what was the most popular? These little beauties:

Canada1309.jpg

They sent the chefs out who really worked the room. One of them talked to us and asked how our food had been so far, and wanted details of what we liked and didn’t like.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
After we finished we went to use the internet café to get some prices on rebooking onboard. In case you didn’t know, you can use access to DCL’s site is free onboard. I was torn between rebooking our Thanksgiving cruise and booking a dummy date, so we played around with prices for a few minutes.

We were meeing at Lumieres for lunch and started walking that way. We heard Jack Jack’s Diaper Dash going on in the lobby and stopped by there first.

Oh. My. Word.

That was one of the funniest things I have ever seen on a cruise. I will never miss one again.
It started off with an introduction of all the competitors, including an interview on the microphone. They were lined up on the racing mat and asked questions like – “What kind of breakfast did you have this morning to prepare for the big race?” and “Do you do any special exercises in your everyday life to stay in shape?”

After the baby tried to eat the microphone or something else hilarious, the interviewee would answer for them.

Everyone was laughing before the race even began.

Canada1313.jpg

When they finally released the babes, this little boy took off towards his mommy.

Canada1315.jpg

As soon as he took off the whole atrium cheered!!

And scared him half to death. He stopped dead in his tracks.

Canada1318.jpg

The parents on the other side were given stuffed Jack Jacks to encourage their kids to come. By the end, most parents dumped Jack Jack and were holding up their cell phones. :D

Finally he was back on track.

Canada1319.jpg

At the end however, he refused to cross the finish line. He stopped and sat right there. Then he went backwards! I cannot tell you how much we laughed. Next time I will video!

There was another equally hysterical race after that, but we couldn’t stay for the finals. It was lunch time!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Lunch was at Lumieres.

Canada1322.jpg

I have no earthly idea what this was. I didn’t get an appetizer. This must have been Stephen's:

Canada1323.jpg

Misty got the famed chilled strawberry soup. Cold soup doesn’t sound good to me at all, but I’ve heard so many good things about this one, and Misty liked it so much, I think I’m going to have to try it next time.

Canada1324.jpg

I had a good old fashioned hamburger.

Canada1326.jpg

With Mickey ketchup of course!

Canada1330.jpg

Stephen had some kind of kabobs and couscous that looked really good:

Canada1327.jpg

Misty had salmon I believe:

Canada1328.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
After lunch Misty and I went to a cooking demonstration. The chef was making the mushroom risotto appetizer that I had the night before. He was actually pretty funny. He was leaving for vacation after our cruise and he was practically giddy. He was very amused with himself.

Canada1333.jpg

We had to leave before we got our appetizers because we were meeting the guys and going to see The Odd Life of Timothy Green. Somehow we managed to pass the guys during the 15 seconds they popped their heads into a store and we missed each other. :(

Misty and I saw the movie which I enjoyed a lot more than I thought I would. We were both crying at the end though.

We said goodbye and went to find our husbands after that.

I found Stephen in the room, and it took me all of about 10 minutes before I was sound asleep. It was a glorious nap.

After I woke up, we got ready for dinner, as evidenced by the fact that I have no pictures until dinner!

We ate in Parrot Cay tonight and it was dress up night.

Here’s my salad:
Canada1334.jpg

I had an absolutely ginormous piece of steak, as did Misty.

Canada1337.jpg

As you see, it came with corn on the cob. That could have been a problem to eat on dress up night, but not with Oliver around! He came and cut the corn off the cob for Misty. How nice was that?

I had a smores concoction of some sort for dessert:

Canada1339.jpg

Misty had a trio:

Canada1340.jpg

Stephen had a sundae:

Canada1341.jpg

Oliver brought us an extra key lime pie just because that's what he does. He makes people happy.:

Canada1343.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
After dinner there was a gorgeous sunset. This is not photoshop, this was the sky!

Canada1345.jpg

Next was a family cabaret. We made our way to Rockin Bar D. We saw Daisy on the main level, as well as Aurora in the wild!!

Canada1351.jpg

Canada1348.jpg

We try to never miss the cabaret shows and tonight was Magic Dave. He was incredibly funny. He called himself David Copperblaineangel. Lol.

Next was the show which was Twice Charmed! It was packed again. I’ve seen it before and love it.
We had another exciting night after the show and went back to our rooms for bed. I know, we were party animals. :D I think we did stay up and watch part of a movie at least.

Dog?

Canada1352.jpg

We had to move our clocks ahead an hour tonight. Yuck. We did remember to put out our room service order before we went to bed though!

Up next - St. John! No, not that St. John. We're in Canada remember? St. John, New Brunswick!

NewfieFan

Up next - St. John! No, not that St. John. We're in Canada remember? St. John, New Brunswick!

But not St. John's, Newfoundland! :( (And I believe Saint John is spelled with the "Saint" written out not abbreviated "St." ;))

Another amazing cruise TR. This time I have children leaning over my shoulder, asking a million questions about every picture, and wondering when we will take them on a cruise.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
But not St. John's, Newfoundland! :( (And I believe Saint John is spelled with the "Saint" written out not abbreviated "St." ;))

Another amazing cruise TR. This time I have children leaning over my shoulder, asking a million questions about every picture, and wondering when we will take them on a cruise.

Thank you, Sarah! I think you are right about the St. vs Saint! I seemed to remember that when I was typing, but I forgot to go look it up! :)

I like the way the children think!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Friday, September 14th – Saint John and Stephen’s birthday!

Good morning to the birthday boy!! Today was Stephen’s birthday. Is there a better way to spend your birthday? I shouldn’t tell you how old he is, but I will tell you he is halfway to 90! :D

We were awake by 7 and Stephen went running again. Yes, even on his birthday! It was crazy foggy out.

Canada1356.jpg

Peter came on the speakers and told us the fog would burn off in a few hours, but he could have not been more wrong.

The birthday boy had chosen a speed boat excursion on the Reversing Falls today. We were going to get wet!

We ate our room service and then left the room without any cash or credit cards. A few flights down, we realized we should bring credit cards just in case so Stephen ran back and grabbed one.

Didn’t even think about cash to tip the tour operator at that point. It’s like we’ve never done this before. :rolleyes:

When we got to Diversions where we were meeting the tour group, everyone had obviously been told it was Stephen’s birthday and we were greeted by choruses of Happy Birthday! The whole room even sang!

Canada1358.jpg

Canada1360.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
We didn’t have the Pocahontas Paddle of Power to follow, Chuck. We had the Timon Token of Terrificness, which I thought I took a picture of, but maybe not?

Here we are walking though:

Canada1363.jpg

When we got off, there were local greeters who gave the women roses and the men pins.

Canada1368.jpg

Canada1369.jpg

See? Timon? :D

Canada1371.jpg

Our tour guide was dressed in Colonial garb which he explained. During the American Revolutionary War, 15000 loyal colonialists moved to Saint John to stay loyal to the crown. It was Saint John’s coming of age as a city, so to speak. He gave us a very informative tour of the city as we drove through.

Canada1372.jpg

Canada1375.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
We went to the Reversing Falls first. When we got off and were given our rain gear, our guide and all the workers were quite amused by how wet we were about to get.

We had brought a change of clothes, so we were prepared. I had my water proof camera so I was double prepared!

Here are the changing rooms:

Canada1376.jpg

I was very excited when they told us we didn’t have to wear shoes. I’d brought more, but it nice not to have to deal with wet sneakers the rest of the week.

Here’s the launch:

Canada1381.jpg

Happy birthday!

Water036.jpg

Buddha and Misty:

Water037.jpg

I know. We look good:

Water038.jpg

Down the steps!

Water039.jpg

Water040.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Loading up:

Water041.jpg

Our boat driver was hilarious! He found great joy in going full speed towards a wall of rocks and then turning around and talking to us like he’d forgotten the sure death we were headed towards.

Water042.jpg

Water044.jpg

At one point he drove the boat down into a huge wave so that we were seemingly completely submerged. Then the driver jumped up and turned around with an eel between his teeth. He tormented the front row with the eel for a few seconds.

Water045.jpg

Water047.jpg

We saw an eagle!

Water050.jpg

Water051.jpg

Water052.jpg

Water053.jpg

Water054.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom