New water-side restaurant 'Spice Road Table' coming to Epcot's Morocco Pavilion?

michmousefan

I see nothing in the announcement or photos of construction walls that threaten either Restaurant Marrakesh or the Mo'Rockin stage.

-Rob
Based on where the construction walls are, it seems to indicate the restaurant will be positioned to the west of the Mo'Rockin stage... although of course, this could just be the start of walls, there will likely be more to come. Still, it does sort of make sense to place the new restaurant in that position... if it was to the East it would be too close to the Friendship boat launch, right?

Rob562

Based on where the construction walls are, it seems to indicate the restaurant will be positioned to the west of the Mo'Rockin stage... although of course, this could just be the start of walls, there will likely be more to come. Still, it does sort of make sense to place the new restaurant in that position... if it was to the East it would be too close to the Friendship boat launch, right?

The walls are on the east (Japan) side of the water-side store. The Mo'rockin stage, waterwheel, garden and boat dock are all to the west (France) of the store.

I think the only thing that seems up in the air is the future of the interior of the store.

EDIT: Here's an aerial marked with the location of the walls.

Morocco_zpsa8399316.jpg

-Rob

michmousefan

The walls are on the east (Japan) side of the water-side store. The Mo'rockin stage, waterwheel, garden and boat dock are all to the west (France) of the store.

I think the only thing that seems up in the air is the future of the interior of the store.

-Rob
Oops. Yep, got my east and west mixed up. Dyslexic, I guess...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Interestingly the seating area for the counter service dining that is directly opposite the waterside kiosk is now full of merchandise and is not available for dining seating.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Interestingly the seating area for the counter service dining that is directly opposite the waterside kiosk is now full of merchandise and is not available for dining seating.

Seems to suggest that after the new eatery takes over the little shop on the waterfront, the existing counter-service will be closed and turn over to merchandise. Makes sense if it does. You wind up with an upgraded quick-service eatery with more room, more seating and a bigger menu; merch ends up with the same amount of space but contiguous with the other shops, making the space more flexible to use.

prfctlyximprct

Spice Road Table Restaurant

Please note that these are exclusive details from the operator of Disney World’s Morocco pavilion restaurants about the restaurant!
Breaking ground this year, the Spice Road Table Restaurant will join Restaurant Marrakesh and Tangierine Cafe to offer authentic Moroccan and Mediterranean cuisine in one of Epcot’s most exotic pavilions.
The new restaurant will combine 120 outdoor terrace seats with 60 indoor seats to offer guests a new option for dining in the World Showcase (and another amazing view of Epcot’s Illuminations fireworks show).

from the disney food blog

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013/...ll-open-in-epcots-morocco-in-2013/#more-79642

wdwfan4ver

I honestly think Disney should be concern with improving the food at DHS than increasing food options at World showcase. I am sure that there are people that go to DHS after eating dinner outside of DHS like I do. ABC Commissary and Hollywood & vine have bad reputations. 50's prime time cafe isn't for everyone if you don't want to deal with the banter over there.

I think World Showcase is getting very close to the point of having too many counter service/table service restaurants. if Canada or Germany gets another food place like WDW1974 is starting based on concepts, I think it would be a the point, they really need to stop with food places.

World Showcase having more food places is a problem from a demand stand point at some point if Disney continues to add food places to World Showcase.

That means some food places would be closed or the amount of customers would be going down.

WDW1974

^ It's the fact people spend their hard earned money and expect to see more thats part of the problem I think. World Showcase has 20+ places to pay a pretty extra penny for food, not including kiosks, but only 7 attractions for nearly $100 admission.

More importantly, Food and Beverage has become the No. 1 purpose for EPCOT's existence. Not only is the World Showcase Promenade beccoming crowded year-round with booths and ODV carts, but look at how much of FW is a ghost town. When WoL reopens with new attractions (new theme not required), when Energy and Imagination get some love, when there are better attractions in Innoventions ... then, I'll have no issue with new places to dine on overpriced cuisine that's been dumbed down for the typical American's tastes.

WDW1974

Oh, but now there are tapas now.... well, how long did Spoodles last (which was great when it first opened - had a great veal shank w/ Israeli couscous once) before they decided 'hey, Italy is on the Mediterranean, let's load up the menu with stuff like Chicken Parm'...

Spoodles lasted quite a while before being dumbed down ... and it was still good after that. It was one of my favorite lunch locations before Disney decided the labor costs were simply too high (control all the LOLing) and the prices were too reasonable.

But, understand, Disney is going for LCD with its food offerings, no matter how Pam Brandon and Co will spin otherwise. That's why every location must have a steak on the menu, a chicken dish, a salmon dish, a pasta dish (that can be vegan or not) and a ceasar salad.

Seeing a Chinese chicken salad on the menu at Nine Dragons is beyond laughable. It is so Cheesecake Factory circa 1996.

luv

I still am a little in shock over the fact that Disney is going to ruin the WS...and keep thinking something will happen to make them realize how bad an idea it is to clutter it up.

Of all the things they've done that have irked me, even the DVC around the lagoon...this is the worst for me. I just want to sit them down and say, "Now you see here..." ;)

This is my big one.

J03Y

that sounds nice. while Morocco was very well depicted the way it is imo, i think some more open space would be nice theme-wise.

They can call it "Burqas and Bikinis."

i can think of a few good reasons to why that's not okay. o_O

dreamfinder

I honestly think Disney should be concern with improving the food at DHS than increasing food options at World showcase. I am sure that there are people that go to DHS after eating dinner outside of DHS like I do. ABC Commissary and Hollywood & vine have bad reputations. 50's prime time cafe isn't for everyone if you don't want to deal with the banter over there.

Except that large swaths of the WS dining is run by 3rd parties. That I assume take on a large chunk of the cash outlay involved in any new construction/renovations as part of their deal. Morocco happens to be one such area run by a 3rd party I believe. I don't know the corporate name, but see here -> http://restaurantmarrakesh.com/mar/about_us.asp
If you look at the major restaurant renovations/change in Epcot dining in the last few years, they all seem to be focused on the 3rd party owned/operated venues. New restaurant in Mexico? 3rd party (Palmas Services LLC). Changes to France dining? 3rd party (JBI LLC) Refurb of Yakitori House? 3rd Party (Mitsukoshi USA) If you look at the Disney O/O locations, it's been mostly maybe a small menu change, or the addition of a new beer cart nearby.

Judging from WDWs current perceived lack of care about the overall quality of food, I'm not terribly surprised that DHS lingers. But as you said, people eat dinner outside of DHS. If you spend the time going to another on property restaurant, that is time spent not on a ride or in line, helping them to not need to add capacity, and they get your money anyway. Leaving them minimal reasons to change. The 3 non sig TS locations are usually booked solid, they seem to be content with Brown Derby lingering near the bottom of the sig food chain, and they need a buffet in park for character meals, so H&V won't change much as it still does solid business w/characters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom