New UPC Codes on Refillable Mugs

I Heart Figment

Original Poster
This was posted on several other boards and Mouseplanet.com

"In an effort to rein in costs and increase income, the Walt Disney World Resort hotels are making some drastic changes to the extremely popular refillable mug program that may affect many repeat visitors to the resort.
[If you are unfamiliar with the program, you can read about it in MousePlanet's WDW Resorts from A to Z page under "Refillable Mugs."]
According to an article in the Orlando Sentinel entitled "32 ounces of soda not enough? Disney tries out self-serve refills," Walt Disney World is making large 32-ounce soft drink mugs available for free self-serve refills in Typhoon Lagoon. That's the good news. The bad news is that you can only refill your mug on the day of purchase. If you return to Typhoon Lagoon the next day, you can no longer refill your mug for free.
Disney has added a new UPC bar coding system to the self-serve refill stations that, for the first time, controls a previously unenforced policy. Although the refillable mug program has always been advertised as available during an actual length of stay that allows guests to refill their mugs during their trip, in reality, guests often brought their mugs back on subsequent trips to refill them free of charge. With the UPC code tied to a guest's hotel reservation, this new system closes this loophole altogether. That is, once your stay has ended, your mug is no longer refillable. Those mugs you bought on previous visits won't work next time you vacation at WDW.
Another loophole that may close with this new system is that you might not be able to use your mug at any other resort except at the one you are staying. For example, if you stay at one of the resorts for a few days and purchase a mug there, and then you move over to another resort for the balance of your vacation, the mug might not be refillable at the second resort.
How will this new system be enforced? Once the UPC code system is fully activated, they can devise a system by which the fountains work only if an "active" UPC code is on the mug.
WDW visitors are already complaining that the new system is yet another line to stand in and just "more time-consuming nonsense cutting into [one's] vacation time."
Did you recently visit WDW and see this change in practice? If you have any first-hand knowledge or experience, please email me or Brian Bennett at brian@mouseplanet.com to provide us with more details."

http://www.mouseplanet.com/mike/refillable_mugs_policy_changes.htm

kennygman

We just returned from the Poly / Beach / Boardwalk and never saw this in effect except in the water parks.

We received a total of 15 mugs from the 3 stays and NONE of the mugs have a UPC code on them.

Cap10_Mickey

Well, I am leaving for WDW Friday, I'll be looking to see if this tidbit is calling from the distant past, or if the idea is being applied anywhere other than the water parks.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I was about ready to :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy: until I saw the 2002 date on it.

Oh well, it'll come eventually...

MKCP 1985

I was about ready to :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy: until I saw the 2002 date on it.

Oh well, it'll come eventually...

you are jumping happy over this why? when that day does come it will only mean longer lines to get drinks as tighter controls are in place to ensure drinks are properly accounted for AND the drink costs on a Disney vacation are even higher.

seriously . . . :zipit:

disney4life2008

LOL, 2002! This would not work at the resorts. I think it will be more problematic than a help. The reason: take the value resorts for example, way too many people and if the UPC computer breaks down - that means no one can get pop? Yea right. I can see this at the water parks, but at the resorts, NO. However, it did bother me in May when I saw A LOT of families with their old mugs (one family had the OLD ONES from circa 1994). Everyone I saw with an old mug, I gave them a dirty look because they really could mess it up for everyone else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom