New unload projection effect at the Haunted Mansion

ChrisFL

Premium Member
what a waste of time, money.... Disney needs some serious help. All they really care about these days is the bottom line, not an enjoyable experience. It's really sad, I know they are trying to better things with the whole FLE but it looks like a war zone...

Sorry, but I really don't understand your logic on this one

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
what a waste of time, money.... Disney needs some serious help. All they really care about these days is the bottom line, not an enjoyable experience. It's really sad, I know they are trying to better things with the whole FLE but it looks like a war zone...
flame-bait-david-april.jpg

mousefan1972

I just told DH about the new effect, and the reason it was installed.

His reply: "Are people really that stupid?"

Yes. Yes, they are. :lol:

tecowdw

First, goes to show that lots of people are directionally challenged. In general, people are like heards of animals - either follow as guided or stand and do nothing/go the wrong way.
:brick:

Second, I always thought a pointing index finger was considered an insult in come cultures. I believe I read that was why cast members were trained to point with two fingers instead of one.
:shrug: Of course, the "traditions" standard has been severely reduced over the years at Disney.

Rob562

Good idea! Wasn't expecting it to sweep from top right to bottom left, I was expecting it to just light up infront of you stationary... Does anyone know how they get this device to work anyway? Obviously its a projector (Small), but are they fitted on each buggy at the top?

Just like most effects in the Mansion it's nowhere as complicated as that. It's simply two stationary lights/projectors positioned above and behind the Doombuggies in that stretch of track, pointing forward into the ride path of the Buggies. As the buggies roll along, they pass through the field of the projection, and the hand shines on the back of each Buggy as it goes by. (Think of your car driving past a streetlight)

A more elaborate system could've used an array of 3 or 4 video projectors that could project images that would follow each Buggy and give an animated hand pointing the way.

As for the hand vs. skeleton, perhaps they could take a cue from the changing portrait in the foyer, and have the first hand be normal, the second hand be decaying, and the 3rd hand (if there is one) be a skeleton...

-Rob

Phonedave

Good idea! Wasn't expecting it to sweep from top right to bottom left, I was expecting it to just light up infront of you stationary... Does anyone know how they get this device to work anyway? Obviously its a projector (Small), but are they fitted on each buggy at the top?

It is a static lamp. The doom buggy is moving, so that is why it seems to sweep.

It is a single lamp, some green gel, and a gobo (a cut out pattern of metal that 'goes between'.

-dave

Phonedave

Just like most effects in the Mansion it's nowhere as complicated as that. It's simply two stationary lights/projectors positioned above and behind the Doombuggies in that stretch of track, pointing forward into the ride path of the Buggies. As the buggies roll along, they pass through the field of the projection, and the hand shines on the back of each Buggy as it goes by. (Think of your car driving past a streetlight)

A more elaborate system could've used an array of 3 or 4 video projectors that could project images that would follow each Buggy and give an animated hand pointing the way.

As for the hand vs. skeleton, perhaps they could take a cue from the changing portrait in the foyer, and have the first hand be normal, the second hand be decaying, and the 3rd hand (if there is one) be a skeleton...

-Rob

You are right. It projects twice. It is two lamps, not one.

And if it is just a gobo on a lamp, they can change it to two fingers, an arrow, a decaying hand, or a smiley face in about 20 minutes with a piece of tin and an X-Acto knife. OR if they want it to last, stainless steel and a cutter.

Or they could poach and modify another existing one from Lee Filters - Pointing Hand #1 GB 541 008

http://www.leefilters.com/downloads/assets/LF_Gobo_Posters_4.pdf

In all reality, my guess would be they made their own. They have the in-house talent to do so.

-dave

redshoesrock

First, goes to show that lots of people are directionally challenged. In general, people are like heards of animals - either follow as guided or stand and do nothing/go the wrong way.
:brick:

QFT.

I can't tell you how many time working at Unload at Space Mountain guests would exit the rocket on the wrong side. Mind you, there were people milling about on the correct side, people walking away on the correct side, and you have to hop down about two feet if you exit the wrong way - and yet at least once a week someone would hop out the wrong side and look around all confused asking us, "Um...where do I go?"

(Incidentally, if you do get out on the wrong size, it's nothing life-threatening, but you do have to climb back up into the rocket - which isn't the easiest - and then exit the correct way. And then you get to be the face-palming story of the day in the Mountain among the CMs.)

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.” - Albert Einstein

TREVON 2.0

Anybody see the new Haunted Mansion finger effect in person? It's pretty weird...I mean, were they having problems with people getting out on the wrong side? You'd have to be pretty dumb to do that...I've seen it...it actually makes the experience worse...

CaptainJackNO

I think it's kinda cheesy. Not a big fan. It's pathetic that people can be that stupid...lol....Gotta love Carlin. Has anyone else captured the American public better than Good ole Carlin? lol.......I hate the effect. Hate it.

cabihler

W-h-y????????

I mean geezzzzz people how dumb..... can you really not find the right way out of the dune buggy? i have been riding this for 34 years and i never once was confused about which side to get out of. :shrug:

OH HEY I've got it. a great way to finally shorten the WDW lines. give a test to the prospective riders and if they cannot figure out the way to get on and off of the rides without guidance then they cannot ride it. :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom