New Tomorrowland @ Disneyland? Is this the year it finally gets announced? No, and that’s OK

Phroobar

If they did the Jet Pack from SDL, I'd add the ability to spin upside down. Maybe put in an Air Race ride like Epic Universe is getting for How to Train Your Dragon.

bshah365

Was in Tomorrowland the other day and noticed this barricade in the middle of the track on the PM. I've never ever noticed this before and am unsure if it's new or not. It's located right before the track enters the outdoor portion past Space Mountain. My optimistic brain wants to think that this has been placed in the middle of the track for safety as contractors/imagineers walk the track for potential planning. Anybody have any ideas?

Attachments

• 89807C3B-A5B9-4B26-AE17-EA4662EC0734.jpg
    89807C3B-A5B9-4B26-AE17-EA4662EC0734.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1813.jpg
    IMG_1813.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 34

AZDLR

One could only hope that they announce it this year! My ideal announcement would include a massive redo and include Avatar ( I know the rumors are this is headed for DCA, but I think Tomorrowland is the best spot)

New TL:
Avatar Way of Water ride (using rumored boat ride system from China POTC)
Extended Tron coaster (great ride but too short at other parks - this would help differentiate it from WDW)
Re-theme Astro blasters to either Mando/Boba Fett or Wreck it Ralph.
Get rid of Astro orbiter for larger and more futuristic entry to land.
Bring back People Mover in some fashion.

Getting rid of Nemo and Autopia as well as the large arena style wasted building would free up a ton of space for these additions. The monorail would have to be shortened a bunch and only circle around the perimeter of the new attractions, but I can't think of an area that needs updated more and has two attractions that no one really cares about anymore taking up so much space. This would add 3 E Ticket attractions and dramatically alter the capacity/crowd distribution in the park.

Professortango1

One could only hope that they announce it this year! My ideal announcement would include a massive redo and include Avatar ( I know the rumors are this is headed for DCA, but I think Tomorrowland is the best spot)

New TL:
Avatar Way of Water ride (using rumored boat ride system from China POTC)
Extended Tron coaster (great ride but too short at other parks - this would help differentiate it from WDW)
Re-theme Astro blasters to either Mando/Boba Fett or Wreck it Ralph.
Get rid of Astro orbiter for larger and more futuristic entry to land.
Bring back People Mover in some fashion.

Getting rid of Nemo and Autopia as well as the large arena style wasted building would free up a ton of space for these additions. The monorail would have to be shortened a bunch and only circle around the perimeter of the new attractions, but I can't think of an area that needs updated more and has two attractions that no one really cares about anymore taking up so much space. This would add 3 E Ticket attractions and dramatically alter the capacity/crowd distribution in the park.
I can't see them putting Star Wars into TL moreso now that they have Galaxy's Edge. And Wreck it Ralph...I remember that was a rumor awhile back, but I'd hope that the fact it doesn't fit the land AND has kind of died as an IP would lead them somewhere better.

AZDLR

I can't see them putting Star Wars into TL moreso now that they have Galaxy's Edge. And Wreck it Ralph...I remember that was a rumor awhile back, but I'd hope that the fact it doesn't fit the land AND has kind of died as an IP would lead them somewhere better.
the problem is Toy Story doesn't really fit there either anymore with Pixar Pier. I kind of agree about Wreck it Ralph, was just kind of basing it off that rumor. While a bounty hunter theme around Mando and Boba Fett would be more star wars it fits being right across from Star Tours and when they have the Hyperspace mountain overlay for Space. But that is a lot of Star Wars in one park. This of course is the change I care the least about so they could leave it for all I care if they did some of the other changes.

J4546

DL needs a major TL overhaul for sure, but all the other parks are way behind what DL has to offer and they should get the most work next imo

Professortango1

the problem is Toy Story doesn't really fit there either anymore with Pixar Pier. I kind of agree about Wreck it Ralph, was just kind of basing it off that rumor. While a bounty hunter theme around Mando and Boba Fett would be more star wars it fits being right across from Star Tours and when they have the Hyperspace mountain overlay for Space. But that is a lot of Star Wars in one park. This of course is the change I care the least about so they could leave it for all I care if they did some of the other changes.
I wish they would retheme it to Buzz Lightyear the character, not Buzz Lightyear the toy. They can give us a more gritty and realistic space adventure attraction with Buzz as a "real" person fighting aliens and such rather than having robots stealing batteries.

AZDLR

I wish they would retheme it to Buzz Lightyear the character, not Buzz Lightyear the toy. They can give us a more gritty and realistic space adventure attraction with Buzz as a "real" person fighting aliens and such rather than having robots stealing batteries.
I think that may have been something they would consider if the movie hadn't flopped so bad. But who knows maybe they will still do it someday. It's not like all the other IP in the parks has always been huge hits.

AZDLR

DL needs a major TL overhaul for sure, but all the other parks are way behind what DL has to offer and they should get the most work next imo
You are not wrong but hopefully they are in the mindset to make sure Walt's original dream is still the flagship when the 75th anniversary comes around in 2030. But yes after taking my family to WDW for the 1st time after ten plus trips to DLR, I can say without a doubt that those parks need some love. So little to do at each park in comparison and all of the DLR copies are crappier versions, especially POTC.

britain

I would have preferred Buzz ANDY’s toy, not generic Saturday morning cartoon Buzz.

mickEblu

Original Poster
A Space Ranger having adventures fits Tomorrowland. A child's toy thinking he's a Space Ranger doesn't.

Like the version of the character from Lightyear? My man if there is anything I love it's consistency and you my friend are a staunch advocate for thematic integrity. This example is obviously extreme but I feel like you would rather have something bland, boring and ugly v. whimsical, fun and aesthetically pleasant as long as the former is more thematically appropriate. That's how much weight you give thematic integrity... in my mind at least.

Professortango1

Like the version of the character from Lightyear? My man if there is anything I love it's consistency and you my friend are a staunch advocate for thematic integrity. This example is obviously extreme but I feel like you would rather have something bland, boring and ugly v. whimsical, fun and aesthetically pleasant as long as the former is more thematically appropriate. That's how much weight you give thematic integrity... in my mind at least.
Thematic integrity is what set Disney apart from other parks for me. They didn't plop an attraction wherever they wanted, they put it where it fit thematically. I'm also a big believer in the idea that constraints build better ideas. Splash and Country Bears gives us two whimsical attractions which could easily be in a Fantasyland and makes it work. Realistic natural inspiration for the facades and queues that transition us to a more cartoonish and whimsical world.

Disney prides itself on details telling more stories. But lately these details tell a story which contradicts the other story. Mission BO is a perfect example of this. They bragged that we can see the vent where Rocket broke out. We can see that he stole the letter off the marquee to form "Mission" and then painted "Breakout" and we see his painted paw prints. But then we enter the queue and he's still imprisoned. There's no dialogue about him escaping and being recaptured. Then, we enter the old library and he's escaped. If they just didn't have the live footage of him in the cage, it would be a better story, but the clash of ideas makes me go "wait, huh??" Same with having baby Groot in the ride while regular Groot is right in front as we walk in.

Details matter. They don't have to be always released and talked about in length like TBA's botched publicity campaign, but telling a story or building a world through collective details is what Disney rise to the top. They don't have the most thrilling rides or the most affordable tickets; they have a commitment to storytelling and design.

I never saw Lightyear, like most of the world, so I can't speak to that film, but I've thought that long before Lightyear was a soulless twinkle in someone's eye. Make a ride based on the idea of Space Rangers as a real thing. It shouldn't be bland and boring and ugly but could be vibrant and fun. While the Zootopia attraction has a few too many screens for me, its not bland and boring and ugly. Its "Cops" in slightly alien landscapes. That's what I always envisioned for a Buzz attraction.

Suspended pivoting ride vehicles that feel like jetpacks where we fly around different locales to save the day. MIB is set in a realistic environment and its my favourite shooter attraction because just how well everything is done.

I was a fan of the concept and art for Plactu's, which is anything but bland and boring.

For me, bland and boring is 67 Tomorrowland with the white stucco. But even I would take that now over what we have.

Personally, I wish we could clear that corner of the park and rebuild TL with the concept of Discovery Bay. Give me a vintage land that is using science to build a better world. Let it inspire us while also entertaining us and giving us a realized world to explore.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Thematic integrity is what set Disney apart from other parks for me. They didn't plop an attraction wherever they wanted, they put it where it fit thematically. I'm also a big believer in the idea that constraints build better ideas. Splash and Country Bears gives us two whimsical attractions which could easily be in a Fantasyland and makes it work. Realistic natural inspiration for the facades and queues that transition us to a more cartoonish and whimsical world.

Disney prides itself on details telling more stories. But lately these details tell a story which contradicts the other story. Mission BO is a perfect example of this. They bragged that we can see the vent where Rocket broke out. We can see that he stole the letter off the marquee to form "Mission" and then painted "Breakout" and we see his painted paw prints. But then we enter the queue and he's still imprisoned. There's no dialogue about him escaping and being recaptured. Then, we enter the old library and he's escaped. If they just didn't have the live footage of him in the cage, it would be a better story, but the clash of ideas makes me go "wait, huh??" Same with having baby Groot in the ride while regular Groot is right in front as we walk in.

Details matter. They don't have to be always released and talked about in length like TBA's botched publicity campaign, but telling a story or building a world through collective details is what Disney rise to the top. They don't have the most thrilling rides or the most affordable tickets; they have a commitment to storytelling and design.

I never saw Lightyear, like most of the world, so I can't speak to that film, but I've thought that long before Lightyear was a soulless twinkle in someone's eye. Make a ride based on the idea of Space Rangers as a real thing. It shouldn't be bland and boring and ugly but could be vibrant and fun. While the Zootopia attraction has a few too many screens for me, its not bland and boring and ugly. Its "Cops" in slightly alien landscapes. That's what I always envisioned for a Buzz attraction.

Suspended pivoting ride vehicles that feel like jetpacks where we fly around different locales to save the day. MIB is set in a realistic environment and its my favourite shooter attraction because just how well everything is done.

I was a fan of the concept and art for Plactu's, which is anything but bland and boring.

For me, bland and boring is 67 Tomorrowland with the white stucco. But even I would take that now over what we have.

Personally, I wish we could clear that corner of the park and rebuild TL with the concept of Discovery Bay. Give me a vintage land that is using science to build a better world. Let it inspire us while also entertaining us and giving us a realized world to explore.

I agree with the sentiment expressed above. I just think you prioritize thematic integrity to a fault and it give it so much weight that your view of the bigger picture and experience as a whole might be a little distorted. Even if you swapped out the the Buzz Lightyear everyone loves for the crappy version from the new movie he'd still be in a white stucco building for that adventure.

Wow TL 67 looked boring to you? Id kill to have that back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Professortango1

I agree with the sentiment expressed above. I just think you prioritize thematic integrity to a fault and it give it so much weight that your view of the bigger picture and experience as a whole might be a little distorted. Even if you swapped out the the Buzz Lightyear everyone loves for the crappy version from the new movie he'd still be in a white stucco building for that adventure. Except now you lost all the whimsy and replaced it a bland, ugly, boring world, soulless characters ands a DEI fest everyone wants to forget.

Wow TL 67 looked boring to you? Id kill to have that back.
I don't think I have ever said I wanted an attraction based on Lightyear. I haven't seen Lightyear. I've never argued for a bland, boring, soulless attraction or land and have constantly argued for the opposite.

And I also said I would like to have 67 look back over what we have now, but yes, it always felt old and sterile when visiting as a kid in the 80's and 90's and I was excited for TL 98. Of course, we know how TL 98 turned out.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I don't think I have ever said I wanted an attraction based on Lightyear. I haven't seen Lightyear. I've never argued for a bland, boring, soulless attraction or land and have constantly argued for the opposite.

And I also said I would like to have 67 look back over what we have now, but yes, it always felt old and sterile when visiting as a kid in the 80's and 90's and I was excited for TL 98. Of course, we know how TL 98 turned out.

I know you didn’t argue for that but isn’t the post/ your response to Britain below insinuating that you’d prefer the Lightyear version of the character in Tomorrowland over Toy Story Buzz because he fits in better thematically?

I would have preferred Buzz ANDY’s toy, not generic Saturday morning cartoon Buzz.

A Space Ranger having adventures fits Tomorrowland. A child's toy thinking he's a Space Ranger doesn't.

Consumer

I know you didn’t argue for that but isn’t the post/ your response to Britain below insinuating that you’d prefer the Lightyear version of the character in Tomorrowland over Toy Story Buzz because he fits in better thematically?
I believe they're talking about this version of Buzz, which I would agree should be in Tomorrowland over the Toy Story version.
1723055429741.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom