New Tomorrowland @ Disneyland? Is this the year it finally gets announced? No, and that’s OK

truecoat

Wasn't the issue that the Astro Orbitor was too heavy for its original spot which is why it got placed at the entrance? I don't see Disney moving it especially if this is being considered a budget refresh. Then of course we have that TL entrance concept art with the Astro Orbitor sitting there in all its Gold glory clashing with the rest of the entrance/lands color scheme.

Yeah, it's just like the Yeti, they had to tear apart all of Tomorrowland just to move it.

truecoat

8wqis6.jpg

CaptinEO

Different walls if I'm remembering where the murals were located. What I'm talking about is the metal walls at the entrance to the land on the Buzz and ST buildings where the PM tunnels are located.

View attachment 799181

The Blair Murals are located under these star cruiser murals on each building if I'm remembering correctly, which are further inside TL not near the PM tunnels -

View attachment 799183

View attachment 799188

Not sure if this means all of it was destroyed but FYI this video shows them breaking the mural in sections.

CaptinEO

I knew where I was commenting.

I just thought I would offer a seasoned WDW veteran’s first impressions of the West Coast Tomorrowland … and why I heartily agree that upgrades and new offerings are desperately needed. 🙂
I agree with you. I think anyone who has been to both parks knows that Disney World's tomorrowland is much better. Disneyland's is very much abandoned.

WDWs is somewhat outdated but besides the stitch show not abandoned at all and has a really cool entrance. People Mover is a gem and I'm glad it wasn't removed over there. You also have carousel of progress!

I think Disneyland in some regards is worse than Magic Kingdom and Tommorowland is definitely a clear improvement in Florida.

CaptinEO

There were two murals, one on each side of TL, one on the Buzz building and one on the ST building. I'll have to dig up the information on it, but one was not destroyed as it was uncovered when they were redoing the existing murals back a few years ago.
Youre right:

It would be great if Marty Sklar’s story of undamaged murals—hidden treasures—were true. Unfortunately, evidence suggests otherwise.

A YouTube video, 1986 Disneyland Tomorrowland Mary Blair mural tile removal by AdamConlea, shows workers destroying entire rows of tiles during the construction of Star Tours. Openings were cut into the Star Tours building, destroying the bottom of the mural. The only reason any of the south mural survived is because it was easier to cover the remainder than to destroy it entirely.

The north mural has fared better. A new curved wall was built over the Mary Blair mural in 1997. Although the work was not done with preservation in mind, most of the north mural is entombed behind the wall. There was no need to cut openings because the north building was already open at the ground level, with the mural above.

Also this shows pictures of them covering the mural:

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Phroobar

How about they remove the Astro Oribiter completely. No need to build a new people mover station with the ride on top just because it used to be.
That's a good question. Do we really need an Astro Orbiter at all? Would we miss it? How about a nice fountain in the middle like Epcot used to have? The People Mover loading station could be moved anywhere. What if the Monorail went through a building for some show scenes or cool lighting effect?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
How about they remove the Astro Oribiter completely. No need to build a new people mover station with the ride on top just because it used to be.

That's a good question. Do we really need an Astro Orbiter at all? Would we miss it? How about a nice fountain in the middle like Epcot used to have? The People Mover loading station could be moved anywhere. What if the Monorail went through a building for some show scenes or cool lighting effect?
If it needs to remain in some form, then I'd prefer we'd get an updated one like the Jet Packs from SDL. And then at that point it can be moved where ever, and a fountain or maybe even a return of the World Clock and flags to the entrance.

NobodyElse

If it needs to remain in some form, then I'd prefer we'd get an updated one like the Jet Packs from SDL. And then at that point it can be moved where ever, and a fountain or maybe even a return of the World Clock and flags to the entrance.

Maybe they could dress up one of these: ;)

Whatever it takes to get Astro Orbiter out of the Tomorrowland entrance.

G

When it comes to a themed space, It has to be THEE worst land they’ve ever done. I can’t think of anything that comes close. Maybe if the Hollywood backlot was it own land? I’m guessing maybe the Studios Park in Paris has something that beats it. In other words, the only lands that can possibly be worse are the lands where they didn’t try at all and are themed to Hollywood soundstages
Definitely, and it’s sad that there’s concept art of the original plans before it got budget cut to hell. Apparently it was going to go in the Hollywood backlot area instead of bugs land. Similar to what you said, the land literally just feels like it was done cheap and lazy to sell merchandise. Especially since it’s one ride is just a spider man re skin of midway mania (minus the fun of midway mania).

All I am hoping for at the bare minimum at d23, is them to announce more about the avengers e ticket and also a construction start date. Because it’s ridiculous they announced it in 2019 yet it’s mid 2024 and construction still hasn’t started yet

Bayou

Mission BO "landed" across the street from Disneyland, CA. They even wrote it into the dialogue, but we can rarely hear it when on the ride. Its really dumb, but they did do the backbend to make Mission BO and Avengers Campus fit California.

Radiator Springs fits California, as does Pixar Pier (despite how ugly it is), San Fransokyo, Hollywood Land, and Grizzly Peak. If they add Avatar, I really hope they change the name/theme of the park as the ride doesn't fit DCA at all unless we are visiting the movie set, which doesn't work if we are supposed to be immersed into the "world of Avatar."
The name used to be Disney's California Adventure but was changed during 2009-2014 revamp to Disney California Adventure. They did this to denote not that it was theme park about California, but rather an adventure that took place in Disney's only Californian resort destination.

TheRealSkull

Definitely, and it’s sad that there’s concept art of the original plans before it got budget cut to hell. Apparently it was going to go in the Hollywood backlot area instead of bugs land. Similar to what you said, the land literally just feels like it was done cheap and lazy to sell merchandise. Especially since it’s one ride is just a spider man re skin of midway mania (minus the fun of midway mania).

All I am hoping for at the bare minimum at d23, is them to announce more about the avengers e ticket and also a construction start date. Because it’s ridiculous they announced it in 2019 yet it’s mid 2024 and construction still hasn’t started yet
To be fair, from what we were promised in 2019 to what they promised in 2022, I'm hoping that they are going back to the drawing board because the jet pack ride system seemed really fun!

Consumer

The name used to be Disney's California Adventure but was changed during 2009-2014 revamp to Disney California Adventure. They did this to denote not that it was theme park about California, but rather an adventure that took place in Disney's only Californian resort destination.
It had nothing to do with that. It was renamed from Disney's to Disney because that's how Disney brands its properties now. If Disney were to build Disney's Animal Kingdom today it would be Disney Animal Kingdom. The change from Walt Disney Studios to Disney Adventure World, rather than Disney's Adventure World, is proof of this.

DCA's 2012 remodel reinforced its California theming with every change it made. It wasn't until Tower of Terror in 2017 that DCA started to wane on its California theming, and even then Disney has gone to great lengths to try and justify their additions thematically.

DCA has always been about California and continues to be about California, even if it's not as good as it once was. The idea that "it's an adventure park that is in California" and not "a park about California" is simply incorrect.

Professortango1

The change that also included Buena Vista Street and incorporated Tower of Terror into the California lore of 1/3 of the park? And that tied Paradise Pier into being a vintage pier?

Yeah, if that was their intention, the message was seriously lost. The park is very much still a California-themed park. If they add avatar, I hope they change the name to reflect this. While I don't want "Disney Adventure World - California," it at least gets this point across.

To be fair, from what we were promised in 2019 to what they promised in 2022, I'm hoping that they are going back to the drawing board because the jet pack ride system seemed really fun!
I really hoped so too! But it seems like we are just getting an avengers version of the new Peter Pan ride that opened at fantasy springs

trainplane3

Youre right:

Also this shows pictures of them covering the mural:

Some bits of the other mural ended up with an Imagineer. Last they talked about it, they still had the pieces in a few boxes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom