New Tomorrowland @ Disneyland? Is this the year it finally gets announced? No, and that’s OK

mickEblu

Original Poster
I believe they're talking about this version of Buzz, which I would agree should be in Tomorrowland over the Toy Story version.
View attachment 807194

Britain was perhaps talking about this version but I don’t think Professor was. He doesn’t correct me in his original response and goes on to say he hasn’t seen the movie. It’s also worth noting the version of Buzz in the movie Lightyear is based on the cartoon that Andy watched as a child so I assumed Britain was talking about Lightyear.

Another reason I assumed everyone was talking about Lightyear is that when it comes to the ride what is separating the character from the image you posted from Andy’s Buzz? They look, act and talk the same. I don’t think Buzz ever references Andy? So I’m actually more inclined to believe the ride is based on the Buzz from the image you shared.

Last edited:

Consumer

Britain was perhaps talking about this version but I don’t think Professor was. He doesn’t correct me in his original response and goes on to say he hasn’t seen the movie. It’s also worth noting the version of Buzz in the movie Lightyear is based on the cartoon that Andy watched as a child so I assumed Britain was talking about Lightyear.

Another reason I assumed everyone was talking about Lightyear is that when it comes to the ride what is separating the character from the image you posted from Andy’s Buzz? They look, act and talk the same. I don’t think Buzz ever references Andy? So I’m actually more inclined to believe the ride is based on the Buzz from the image you shared.
The queue for Buzz is full of toys.

1723057659492.png

1723057681302.jpeg

mickEblu

Original Poster

Good point. To me it seems like some sort of mash up then since none of that stuff actually happens in the Toy Story movie. Or are the events of the ride just taking place in Andy’s imagination? For me I never associated BLAB with Andy or his room full of toys. I was just in that weird little alien world with Buzz Lightyear/ Zurg/ the aliens that I’m assuming the Buzz animated series is based on. I’ve never seen it.

Professortango1

Exactly. Zurg is collecting AA batteries; everything has a toy/cardboard-like quality.

I always assumed that Buzz Lightyear was a toy based on a live action character. Just like I grew up with toys/cartoons based on Beetlejuice, Back to the Future, Batman, Ghostbusters, and even Aliens. Give me a ride based on that live action film character, not the toy. Let us join the Space Rangers Corps and protect the galaxy.

It would be like having a Star Wars ride in TL or GE that was designed to look like LEGO Star Wars. The series is cute and fun, but doesn't fit either land. Give me the version that fits the land it is in.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They must want to wait until after the 70th to announce the overhaul of TL. Makes sense especially since they'll want the land open for all of 2025. So why not wait until 2026 for the announcement.

RedGinger

They must want to wait until after the 70th to announce the overhaul of TL. Makes sense especially since they'll want the land open for all of 2025. So why not wait until 2026 for the announcement.
I won't, because I have other things to do with my life - but if one rewatched this panel, they could make a list of the handful of times where TL was specifically referenced or hinted at. Even the very opening animation, highlighting each Disney park worldwide, ended at Disneyland, and then specifically Tomorrowland. ????????

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I won't, because I have other things to do with my life - but if one rewatched this panel, they could make a list of the handful of times where TL was specifically referenced or hinted at. Even the very opening animation, highlighting each Disney park worldwide, ended at Disneyland, and then specifically Tomorrowland. ????????
You could be right, maybe I'll rewatch later.

Maybe we'll get a Parks Blog about the start of a TL redo, who knows.

TP2000

No.

Just came back to answer my original question.

You should change the title of this thread to reflect that. And do it quickly while the disappointment is still coursing through your veins, so you can be at your emotional best.

Here's a few ideas to get your creative juices flowing....

New Tomorrowland @ Disneyland? Why Josh D'Amaro Hates You And Everything You Love

New Tomorrowland @ Disneyland? Did Walt Build On An Indian Burial Ground?

New Tomorrowland @ Disneyland? I Heard It's Going To Be A Costco Now

mickEblu

Original Poster
Every year I believe there is a chance although much less this time than last D23. But it looks like TL will be on the perpetual back burner because it's full of popular rides. They kick the can down the road and probably think "next time" but by then 5 projects that actually add capacity leap frog Tomorrowland. TL is going to have to be passion project and im not sure the people running the show the now are capable or care about that. Over at MK they might be removing most or all of TSI and the ROA to put talking cars in Frontierland so lets be thankful TL isn't being touched for now.

SplashJacket

No Tomorrowland announcement is a crime. Let your fans know that you intend to fix what's broken before you add new stuff FFS.
They announced 4 rides for DCA. None that touch the Forever plots. Huge win for the resort IMHO.

Tomorrowland will have its time.

Realistically, a lot of the TLC Tomorrowland needs is more minor.

They announced Wreck it Ralph for Tokyo in a blog post, they can do the same for Disneyland in a year. Same for PeopleMover if they so choose to do so.

Tomorrowland’s footprint is small, and while it needs work, it’s not a multibillion dollar project.

captveg

Well, we know they committed to electrifying the Autopia cars by 2026, so there will probably be at least some other minor updates to go alongside that, even if it's just some overdue maintenance / spit & polish.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Every year I believe there is a chance although much less this time than last D23. But it looks like TL will be on the perpetual back burner because it's full of popular rides. They kick the can down the road and probably think "next time" but by then 5 projects that actually add capacity leap frog Tomorrowland. TL is going to have to be passion project and im not sure the people running the show the now are capable or care about that. Over at MK they might be removing most or all of TSI and the ROA to put talking cars in Frontierland so lets be thankful TL isn't being touched for now.
I haven't been over to the WDW threads, but isn't it possible that the Cars stuff goes in the plot that was rumored to be the Beyond Big Thunder area? That wouldn't require them to touch their ROA or TSI.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well, we know they committed to electrifying the Autopia cars by 2026, so there will probably be at least some other minor updates to go alongside that, even if it's just some overdue maintenance / spit & polish.
That is what I'm thinking. Just minor updates for now and a big announcement in 2026. Well that is the hope anyways.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I haven't been over to the WDW threads, but isn't it possible that the Cars stuff goes in the plot that was rumored to be the Beyond Big Thunder area? That wouldn't require them to touch their ROA or TS
Well between that and Villains the thought is that the ROA /TSI will at the very least be shrunk considerably.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom