New Tomorrowland @ Disneyland? Is this the year it finally gets announced? No, and that’s OK

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
Wow I thought that was a killer set up for a great joke to then point me the picture with you in that pose with the Tomorrowland marquee clearly behind you. LOL. I literally can’t stop laughing. Thank you. I needed a good laugh today.

Hey no offense taken. I didn’t build it.

Just so I’m clear, you’re not trying to say that TL was so lackluster in its theming that you didn’t even “realize” we had a TL? Like in your profile pic, at that moment in time you didn’t realize you were standing right in front of Tomorrowland?
I’m kind of saying both.

Astro Orbitor sort of sits in the middle of the pavement in what should be a clear path into a defined land, so I never realized I was entering Tomorrowland. Once I realized I WAS in TL, only Space Mountain felt TL-worthy. Everything else was nondescript … or closed.

Autopia > Tomorrowland Speedway.
DL Space Mountain > WDW Space Mountain.
Buzz is Buzz, but it was nice not having the shooter fix-mounted.
Astro Orbitor 15m high in the air is vastly > middle of the pavement Astro Orbitor.

What else is there to compare? Star Tours I guess, but I avoid that. No MILF. No CoP. No People Mover. Felt like there were fewer shops and food venues. And as I already said, Nemo was closed. Forgot to mention that the Monorail was also closed in Feb/22. There really was not much going on when I was there.

Both TL’s need help, but DL’s much more so. IMO.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’m kind of saying both.

Astro Orbitor sort of sits in the middle of the pavement in what should be a clear path into a defined land, so I never realized I was entering Tomorrowland. Once I realized I WAS in TL, only Space Mountain felt TL-worthy. Everything else was nondescript … or closed.

Autopia > Tomorrowland Speedway.
DL Space Mountain > WDW Space Mountain.
Buzz is Buzz, but it was nice not having the shooter fix-mounted.
Astro Orbitor 15m high in the air is vastly > middle of the pavement Astro Orbitor.

What else is there to compare? Star Tours I guess, but I avoid that. No MILF. No CoP. No People Mover. Felt like there were fewer shops and food venues. And as I already said, Nemo was closed. Forgot to mention that the Monorail was also closed in Feb/22. There really was not much going on when I was there.

Both TL’s need help, but DL’s much more so. IMO.
While I agree some of your assessments are sound, you really didn't see it when everything was fully operating. Having Nemo and Monorail running for example helps give the land more life.

Anyways this is why many of us are hoping for a complete land overhaul, which hopefully includes bringing PM back.

TheRealSkull

I would also think they would want to move the load/unload for Peoplemover to a new location so they can also put in a switch track to accommodate guests who can't load into a moving vehicle. Haunted Mansion has to pause the entire ride to do this, but other rides with that station (like, for example, Grizzly River Run) have a separate load/unload off to the side to accommodate those guests. That's why I would guess at either the top floor of the Carousel building or second floor of Starcade becoming the new loading platform.

Bonus: you could then move the Astro Orbiter to its original spot and just reroute the line to use that building.
I don't think the Carousel building will be able to house it. Rumors were circulating that the building is in worse shape than it looks. As in the ceiling falling apart. Again, that's just a rumor, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Nirya

I don't think the Carousel building will be able to house it. Rumors were circulating that the building is in worse shape than it looks. As in the ceiling falling apart. Again, that's just a rumor, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I mean, they would have to build a whole new station in that spot to begin with, no reason they could not fix the building in the process.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You think that's necessary? We're in the DL forum and as far as I'm aware there are no rumors to update TL at MK.
Yeah, remember this site is WDW focused for the most part. So when posters look at the list of recent threads from the main forum you don't know this is specifically about DL TL. And so pop in here looking to read and comment on WDW TL still not realizing its in the DL forum.

Brer Oswald

Isn't that the TBA guy?

I think we all thought that because we thought the TL redo was going to be a bit more ambitious and include Autopia/ Subs as well. If this is just a shortened People Mover and paint (and or BLAB retheme), it would make sense why the timeline would be reshuffled. You could get away with putting construction walls up in little areas at a time. I'm not even sure you'd need to close the land at all.
Yeah. I think he’s still a front of the like cast member so take that as you will.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
You think that's necessary? We're in the DL forum and as far as I'm aware there are no rumors to update TL at MK.
I knew where I was commenting.

I just thought I would offer a seasoned WDW veteran’s first impressions of the West Coast Tomorrowland … and why I heartily agree that upgrades and new offerings are desperately needed. 🙂

mickEblu

Original Poster

I just thought I would offer a seasoned WDW veteran’s first impressions of the West Coast Tomorrowland … and why I heartily agree that upgrades and new offerings are desperately needed. 🙂

I know you did. I don't think that's what Irish was getting at. Yeah, TL has been needing love for years. For someone like me who doesn't trust WDI/ Disney right now with the task of doing major work to a land inside Disneyland proper a low budget TL refresh with the PeopleMover returning might be a best case scenario.

TheRealSkull

I mean, they would have to build a whole new station in that spot to begin with, no reason they could not fix the building in the process.
If it involves relocating the Astro Orbiter to the top of the new PeopleMover platform, then they'd have to demolish the building. No way they can just plop the ride on top of the Carousel theater.

But I do like your idea of just putting the Astro Orbiter in its original spot and relocating the PeopleMover to the Carousel theater. Then you wouldn't have the congestion of both queues in a singular spot. It does get a little confusing at WDW for first time guests, since it's done that way.

mickEblu

Original Poster
If it involves relocating the Astro Orbiter to the top of the new PeopleMover platform, then they'd have to demolish the building. No way they can just plop the ride on top of the Carousel theater.

But I do like your idea of just putting the Astro Orbiter in its original spot and relocating the PeopleMover to the Carousel theater. Then you wouldn't have the congestion of both queues in a singular spot. It does get a little confusing at WDW for first time guests, since it's done that way.

Wasn't the issue that the Astro Orbitor was too heavy for its original spot which is why it got placed at the entrance? I don't see Disney moving it especially if this is being considered a budget refresh. Then of course we have that TL entrance concept art with the Astro Orbitor sitting there in all its Gold glory clashing with the rest of the entrance/lands color scheme.

TheRealSkull

I'd imagine they would tear down the building completely rather than try to repair/reuse the existing building.
Yes, to be fair, it's a very old building, despite it looking alright on the outside. Also, tearing it down would give the new loading station plenty of queue space, as we all know this would be one popular attraction upon reopening. Gonna make Rise of the Resistance look like a wait for the Teacups lol

TheRealSkull

Wasn't the issue that the Astro Orbitor was too heavy for its original spot which is why it got placed at the entrance? I don't see Disney moving it especially if this is being considered a budget refresh. Then of course we have that TL entrance concept art with the Astro Orbitor sitting there in all its Gold glory clashing with the rest of the entrance/lands color scheme.
I think this is the likely scenario too. However, they could just build a new platform right where the current one is today to accommodate the ride, however, I don't see it lasting with a New Tomorrowland even with a low budget. Regardless what they do, we can safely assume that platform will not exist whenever the refresh happens.

Also the concept art for the new entrance was actually a piece of old 1998 Tomorrowland refresh concept art and they just slapped the new entrance on top. It's obvious cuz the Rocket Rods are in the background of the concept art zooming along.

Brer Oswald

They both need help, but I think Magic Kingdom's could get by with the addition of a solid dark ride. Disneyland's needs a top to bottom rebuild IMO. I don't even think Space is worth keeping in its current form.

Avastindy

Tomorrowland desperately needs help. It hasn’t been at its peak in quite some time.

All this talk about PeopleMover’s queue got me thinking. Looked back at some old footage of PeopleMover and Rocket Rods (and my hazy memory of riding RR once in 1998.)

Apart from how original PM queue work, didn’t RR queue start where Buzz enters currently, and snake into an underground tunnel to PM tower?? So hypothetically there’s still a tunnel underneath?? That sounds like a big issue if they were to redo that whole area. Just my two cents.

Tomorrowland desperately needs help. It hasn’t been at its peak in quite some time.

All this talk about PeopleMover’s queue got me thinking. Looked back at some old footage of PeopleMover and Rocket Rods (and my hazy memory of riding RR once in 1998.)

Apart from how original PM queue work, didn’t RR queue start where Buzz enters currently, and snake into an underground tunnel to PM tower?? So hypothetically there’s still a tunnel underneath?? That sounds like a big issue if they were to redo that whole area. Just my two cents.
I really hope they fix Tomorrowland but they also really need to fix California adventure too. I don’t understand why they decided to tack on cheap lazy re themes instead of adding new amazing additions.

Speaking of that, I mainly want them to finally announce a lot more and actually start construction on that avengers e ticket ride. Because avengers campus is probably one of the worst lands Disney has ever made.

mickEblu

Original Poster
G
I really hope they fix Tomorrowland but they also really need to fix California adventure too. I don’t understand why they decided to tack on cheap lazy re themes instead of adding new amazing additions.

Speaking of that, I mainly want them to finally announce a lot more and actually start construction on that avengers e ticket ride. Because avengers campus is probably one of the worst lands Disney has ever made.

When it comes to a themed space, It has to be THEE worst land they’ve ever done. I can’t think of anything that comes close. Maybe if the Hollywood backlot was it own land? I’m guessing maybe the Studios Park in Paris has something that beats it. In other words, the only lands that can possibly be worse are the lands where they didn’t try at all and are themed to Hollywood soundstages

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom