New Tomorrowland @ Disneyland? Is this the year it finally gets announced? No, and that’s OK

Disney Irish

Premium Member
All those bars and glass would look pretty dated today, and I think it was misguided to enclose the rocket jets. If there’s one thing DCA’s orange spinner taught us it’s that you want open air and open views!
Not to mention that an all glass and steel bar enclosed structure would bake in the SoCal sun requiring multiple huge chillers just to cool it down. Better to have an open air structure just for that reason if you're trying to have it visible from the outside.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
I've been to WDW many, many times, but (so far) have only been to DL once, in February 2022.

We were there for five days, which I've been given to understand is quite a lengthy trip for DL. Don't get me wrong, I loved, loved, loved DL and DCA; but I wasn't even aware that your park had a Tomorrowland until the third or fourth day in.
In all fairness, quite a bit was closed (some of it apparently still is!), but there was absolutely nothing to indicate that we had entered a new land. It was the only underwhelming land in DL for me.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I've been to WDW many, many times, but (so far) have only been to DL once, in February 2022.

We were there for five days, which I've been given to understand is quite a lengthy trip for DL. Don't get me wrong, I loved, loved, loved DL and DCA; but I wasn't even aware that your park had a Tomorrowland until the third or fourth day in.
In all fairness, quite a bit was closed (some of it apparently still is!), but there was absolutely nothing to indicate that we had entered a new land. It was the only underwhelming land in DL for me.

You must have walked into the land from the back/ side entrance next to the Matterhorn and Finding Nemo Subs which feels more like an extension of Fantasyland or just default Disneyland if you will. I never thought about it before but if you don't walk into the land from the main entrance and you are just a lay person you might not even know its a Sci Fi land set in the future until you get to Alien Pizza planet and you are staring at the Space Mountain facade.

But you didn't walk into Tomorrowland through its main entrance once in your 4 day trip?

TheRealSkull

I think if what you all are saying is true, to remove the Carousel theater and replace it with the new PeopleMover platform and Astro Oribitet attraction, it would certainly create a wider space for potential new interactive walkways. If they were to also move the platform back, then it's safe to say that the PeopleMover wouldn't run down the center between the Buzz and Star Tours buildings. They would probably try to make it to where the tracks are closer to the sides of the current buildings, again, freeing up the space of the main walkway.

Phroobar

I'd rather have the Carousel theater be used for something new and not stick the Astro-Orbiter on it. It isn't like it takes up a lot of queue space right now.

If it must, the People Mover could be integrated into a multi-attraction building or even better into the Starcade's second floor. The Astro-Orbiter could sit on the roof of the 3D theater in from of Space Mountain but that would be tacky.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think if what you all are saying is true, to remove the Carousel theater and replace it with the new PeopleMover platform and Astro Oribitet attraction, it would certainly create a wider space for potential new interactive walkways. If they were to also move the platform back, then it's safe to say that the PeopleMover wouldn't run down the center between the Buzz and Star Tours buildings. They would probably try to make it to where the tracks are closer to the sides of the current buildings, again, freeing up the space of the main walkway.
I don't see why the track can't still run down the center of the land if the PM/Astro Oribitor platform was moved to the Carousel theater/Launch Bay plot of land. The columns don't take up that much space, its the platform and any required queue itself that takes up the most space.

JenniferS

Premium Member
You must have walked into the land from the back/ side entrance next to the Matterhorn and Finding Nemo Subs which feels more like an extension of Fantasyland or just default Disneyland if you will. I never thought about it before but if you don't walk into the land from the main entrance and you are just a lay person you might not even know its a Sci Fi land set in the future until you get to Alien Pizza planet and you are staring at the Space Mountain facade.

But you didn't walk into Tomorrowland through its main entrance once in your 4 day trip?
I don’t know. We mostly entered near to where Buzz is. See profile pic.

There was nothing that screamed TOMORROWland. Subs were still closed and fenced off at the time. All theatres were still closed post-COVID. The indoor mask mandate was lifted the week before we arrived. (Lucky me though, I still had to pass a PCR test to get back into Canada, so I continued to wear one indoors.)

As disappointing as WDW’s TL is, at least you know it’s TL. (I found DL superior in almost every other aspect, notwithstanding the teeny tiny castle.)

mickEblu

Original Poster

There was nothing that screamed TOMORROWland. Subs were still closed and fenced off at the time. All theatres were still closed post-COVID. The indoor mask mandate was lifted the week before we arrived. (Lucky me though, I still had to pass a PCR test to get back into Canada, so I continued to wear one indoors.)

As disappointing as WDW’s TL is, at least you know it’s TL. (I found DL superior in almost every other aspect, notwithstanding the teeny tiny castle.)

I can’t tell if you re joking but I’m dying over here. 🤣

F9B5AD12-D82F-4185-86BF-2AD7D0EE1A8E.jpeg

Disney Irish

Premium Member

The two big Tomorrowland signs on either side of the Orbitor didn't indicate to you that you were in Tomorrowland?

1720733916587.png

JenniferS

Premium Member
I can’t tell if you re joking but I’m dying over here. 🤣

View attachment 799607
Two little signs. No arch. No rocks and waterway signifying a clear transition. No PeopleMover moving overhead. Just a couple of rides, and a bunch of empty stuff.

Hey, I’m not knocking your park. I found it vastly superior. It’s just that your TL stinks.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Two little signs. No arch. No rocks and waterway signifying a clear transition. No PeopleMover moving overhead. Just a couple of rides, and a bunch of empty stuff.

Hey, I’m not knocking your park. I found it vastly superior. It’s just that your TL stinks.

Apparently not.

Wow I thought that was a killer set up for a great joke to then point me to your picture with you in that pose with the Tomorrowland marquee clearly behind you. LOL. I literally can’t stop laughing. Thank you. I needed a good laugh today.

Hey no offense taken. I didn’t build it.

Just so I’m clear, you’re not trying to say that TL was so lackluster in its theming that you didn’t even “realize” we had a TL? Like in your profile pic, at that moment in time you didn’t realize you were standing right in front of Tomorrowland?

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Two little signs that are ~10ft wide and ~4ft high, take up almost the entire entrance walkway and are pretty hard to miss.

The entrance used to have rocks, what was affectionately called the French Fry rocks, but they were removed starting in 2019 when they redid the entrance to the applause of all DL locals.

britain

I don't see why the track can't still run down the center of the land if the PM/Astro Oribitor platform was moved to the Carousel theater/Launch Bay plot of land. The columns don't take up that much space, its the platform and any required queue itself that takes up the most space.
They “could” still run down the center, but I suspect if they moved it to the carousel spot, they’re only going to do that to get as much clear space as possible running through the land, and that includes the main entry drag of TL, not just the old central tower.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They “could” still run down the center, but I suspect if they moved it to the carousel spot, they’re only going to do that to get as much clear space as possible running through the land, and that includes the main entry drag of TL, not just the old central tower.
I guess the determining factor will be the need for emergency exit stairs along the track, if they can be put down the middle track easily without taking up too much space then it stays. Otherwise it would have to move the track to the outer portion of the main drag to accommodate them.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I guess the determining factor will be the need for emergency exit stairs along the track, if they can be put down the middle track easily without taking up too much space then it stays. Otherwise it would have to move the track to the outer portion of the main drag to accommodate them.

Oh God forgot about that. That’ll be really ugly. I’m sure there is a way to make it less ugly though. Maybe shiny silver or sparkling white spiral staircases going around the support columns? Do spiral staircases qualify for emergency exits? Or just placing them in strategically less visually irritating areas? Definitely don’t want to see one coming down from the track that runs right between Buzz and Star Tours. How about small bridges from the track to stairwells that go down right along the building walls?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Oh God forgot about that. That’ll be really ugly. I’m sure there is a way to make it less ugly though. Maybe shiny silver or sparkling white spiral staircases? Do spiral staircases qualify for emergency exits?
Dunno if those qualify or not. But maybe they could have wing like platform walking paths running from the track to each of the buildings at various locations down the main drag and have the stairs in the buildings instead. From the ground it would look like they are just additional track paths but just never used until an emergency.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Dunno if those qualify or not. But maybe they could have wing like platform walking paths running from the track to each of the buildings at various locations down the main drag and have the stairs in the buildings instead. From the ground it would look like they are just additional track paths but just never used until an emergency.

Yeah having a bridge lead to the staircase on the inside of the building would be much more aesthetically appealing if possible. Unless of course they really make this look like a futuristic city then staircases don't even have to really be ugly depending on the execution.

Nirya

I would also think they would want to move the load/unload for Peoplemover to a new location so they can also put in a switch track to accommodate guests who can't load into a moving vehicle. Haunted Mansion has to pause the entire ride to do this, but other rides with that station (like, for example, Grizzly River Run) have a separate load/unload off to the side to accommodate those guests. That's why I would guess at either the top floor of the Carousel building or second floor of Starcade becoming the new loading platform.

Bonus: you could then move the Astro Orbiter to its original spot and just reroute the line to use that building.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom