New Tomorrowland @ Disneyland? Is this the year it finally gets announced? No, and that’s OK

mickEblu

Original Poster
Anyone else believe they might be getting to this now because Disneyland Forward is going to be taking up all of their energy for a long while? A reliable source, Frederick Chambers, who commented on the Five Fires post suggested this:
View attachment 798748
It's weird because originally we all thought they were just gonna kick it down the road for maybe another 10-20 years because of Disneyland Forward.

Isn't that the TBA guy?

I think we all thought that because we thought the TL redo was going to be a bit more ambitious and include Autopia/ Subs as well. If this is just a shortened People Mover and paint (and or BLAB retheme), it would make sense why the timeline would be reshuffled. You could get away with putting construction walls up in little areas at a time. I'm not even sure you'd need to close the land at all.

TheRealSkull

Isn't that the TBA guy?

I think we all thought that because we thought the TL redo was going to be a bit more ambitious and include Autopia/ Subs as well. If this is just a shortened People Mover and paint (and or BLAB retheme), it would make sense why the timeline would be reshuffled. You could get away with putting construction walls up in little areas at a time. I'm not even sure you'd need to close the land at all.
I don't know. First I've heard of him, but OrangeGrove55 called him a reliable source. I think he's a friend of Five Fires.

You might be right, and considering if it's just that, then no, they wouldn't have to close down the entire land. However, if the PeopleMover comes back, and they do need to replace the old tracks, then I could see them closing the land from the old PeopleMover platform to the main entrance of the land to remove the platform and tracks. And if they are replacing Buzz with a new attraction, all the more reason to work on demoing the old PeopleMover tracks and replace Buzz at the same time, while repainting/restructuring the exterior walls. This here, allows for Space Mountain, Astro Orbiter, Autopia, and the Subs to still remain open.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I don't know. First I've heard of him, but OrangeGrove55 called him a reliable source. I think he's a friend of Five Fires.

You might be right, and considering if it's just that, then no, they wouldn't have to close down the entire land. However, if the PeopleMover comes back, and they do need to replace the old tracks, then I could see them closing the land from the old PeopleMover platform to the main entrance of the land to remove the platform and tracks. And if they are replacing Buzz with a new attraction, all the more reason to work on demoing the old PeopleMover tracks and replace Buzz at the same time, while repainting/restructuring the exterior walls. This here, allows for Space Mountain, Astro Orbiter, Autopia, and the Subs to still remain open.

I feel like they just put walls around the tracks and people mover platform but yeah there probably would be a period where the whole section was blocked off from the PeopleMover platform to Astro Orbit. They'd probably find a way to keep Star Tours open.

TheRealSkull

I feel like they just put walls around the tracks and people mover platform but yeah there probably would be a period where the whole section was blocked off from the PeopleMover platform to Astro Orbit. They'd probably find a way to keep Star Tours open.
The reason I said that was specifically because dismantling the old PeopleMover tracks high above guests could be a safety hazard. Once demolition gets a little closer to the ground, then they could open up the pathways again.

Phroobar

hahah speaking of skunks. I've only see one my entire life and I lived in the hills in Tarzana for 20 years where I saw rabbits, possums, racoons and coyote all the time. Occasionally deer too. We moved to the other side of the valley and at least once a week someone runs over one and the smell just travels for blocks right into our bedroom. I saw a whole family of them in broad daylight too.
It's worst when the dog gets skunked in the middle of the night and then jumps in bed with you. True story.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The reason I said that was specifically because dismantling the old PeopleMover tracks high above guests could be a safety hazard. Once demolition gets a little closer to the ground, then they could open up the pathways again.
Honestly if Disney wanted to they could demolish large sections overnight where its not a safety hazard. Its just a matter of cost and the will.

Gusey

It was rumored when they were redoing the TL entrance as they redid the exterior walls for ST and Buzz a few years back.
I know that last year, Kim Irvine was talking at the Walt Disney Family Museum about Adventureland Treeehouse and the host of Connecting with Walt podcast asked her about Tomorrowland. She mentioned they had wonderful plans for Tomorrowland and she mentioned it would be wonderful if the one remaining Mary Blair mural was uncovered
It's episode "Walt Disney Family Talks" from November 2023 at the 1:06:56 mark

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I know that last year, Kim Irvine was talking at the Walt Disney Family Museum about Adventureland Treeehouse and the host of Connecting with Walt podcast asked her about Tomorrowland. She mentioned they had wonderful plans for Tomorrowland and she mentioned it would be wonderful if the one remaining Mary Blair mural was uncovered
It's episode "Walt Disney Family Talks" from November 2023 at the 1:06:56 mark
That is interesting, not sure the connection to the PM track removal that I mentioned was rumored back when they redid the TL entrance, but it is interesting.

Gusey

That is interesting, not sure the connection to the PM track removal that I mentioned was rumored back when they redid the TL entrance, but it is interesting.
Were't the Mary Blair murals on the walls of the Star Tours and Buzz buildings? If they were bringing back a Mary Blair mural to one of those walls, it would include the PeopleMover tunnel entrances?

britain

Controversial, but I've never cared for the Mary Blair murals in Tomorrowland.
Agreed. She’s great and all, but I think Small World is enough of a shrine to her. Design-wise, there would be no sense in restoring her murals for a new Tomorrowland.

…unless they go hard-core Retro 60’s with the theme. Which I’m not against.

Last edited:

TheRealSkull

Agreed. She’s great and all, but I think Small World is enough of a shrine to her. Design-wise, there would be no sense in recovering her murals for a new Tomorrowland.

…unless they go hard-core Retro 60’s with the theme. Which I’m not against.
I've always said if they are going to go that route, officially re-name it "Walt Disney's Tomorrowland."

People would still call it Tomorrowland for short, but the official name-change would justify the existence.

NobodyElse

I agree with those of you that consider the murals lost art, that doesn't necessarily have a proper place in a
"New Tomorrowland".

(And don't make me quote Indiana Jones.)

Perhaps it could be disassembled and shipped up to Sacramento to join its younger friend from DCA? (Or even put on the side of one of the buildings at the fairgrounds in Costa Mesa to keep it local?)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Were't the Mary Blair murals on the walls of the Star Tours and Buzz buildings? If they were bringing back a Mary Blair mural to one of those walls, it would include the PeopleMover tunnel entrances?
Different walls if I'm remembering where the murals were located. What I'm talking about is the metal walls at the entrance to the land on the Buzz and ST buildings where the PM tunnels are located.

1720628806718.png

The Blair Murals are located under these star cruiser murals on each building if I'm remembering correctly, which are further inside TL not near the PM tunnels -

1720628908541.png

1720629549151.png

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think I'd rather have those Mary Blair murals put in a museum. They are pretty destroyed right now.
When they redid the murals that are on top of the Blair murals a few years back (same time they redid the entrance) they didn't appear to be destroyed. As the "new" murals just lay on top of the Blair murals, as the new ones are just panels. So they can restore them if they wanted to, which I believe is what Kim Irvine is talking about in that interview.

TheRealSkull

When they redid the murals that are on top of the Blair murals a few years back (same time they redid the entrance) they didn't appear to be destroyed. As the "new" murals just lay on top of the Blair murals, as the new ones are just panels. So they can restore them if they wanted to, which I believe is what Kim Irvine is talking about in that interview.
Very possible considering they appear to want to go in the retro-future route for Tomorrowland. I'm only saying this based off of the old new entrance concept art plus the improvements they have made at WDW Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland, but again things may have changed.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Very possible considering they appear to want to go in the retro-future route for Tomorrowland. I'm only saying this based off of the old new entrance concept art plus the improvements they have made at WDW Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland, but again things may have changed.
I have no idea what their plans are, but if the Blair murals being restored are part of it they aren't destroyed, at least not all of them, which was my point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom