New Tomorrowland @ Disneyland? Is this the year it finally gets announced? No, and that’s OK

mickEblu

Original Poster
Agreed. She’s great and all, but I think Small World is enough of a shrine to her. Design-wise, there would be no sense in restoring her murals for a new Tomorrowland.

…unless they go hard-core Retro 60’s with the theme. Which I’m not against.

I think the old Blair murals did much more for placemaking than “look here’s two murals of planets and spaceships because you are in Tomorrowland.” I agree if they go full hardcore TL 67 bring them back. If they re not I’m not sure they’ll work. Although they’d still probably be better than what’s there now

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think the old Blair murals did much more for placemaking than “look here’s two murals of planets and spaceships because you are in Tomorrowland.” I agree if they go full hardcore TL 67 bring them back. If they re not I’m not sure they’ll work. Although they’d still probably be better than what’s there now
I wouldn't mind a retro futuristic themed homage to TL67, but I don't think the Blair murals fits that in my opinion. However if they just want to bring them back to restore a piece of DL history, that I'm fine with.

captveg

Anyone else believe they might be getting to this now because Disneyland Forward is going to be taking up all of their energy for a long while? A reliable source, Frederick Chambers, who commented on the Five Fires post suggested this:
View attachment 798748
It's weird because originally we all thought they were just gonna kick it down the road for maybe another 10-20 years because of Disneyland Forward.
This actually lines up with their electrified Autopia timeline, so it makes sense.

With Disneyland Forward approved there's less incentive to maximize the area currently occupied by Autopia/Monorail/Peoplemover/Carousel building. While they could still demolish the Carousel building as part of bringing back the Peoplemover (it would make sense to make that space the footprint for the loading/line area of a new Peoplemover and a moved Astro-Orbitor up a level or two again), they could also leave all the buildings as-is.

If I'm redoing Tomorrowland in a retro-future sense and bringing back the Peoplemover, one of the challenges is indeed where the load/offload and line goes. They really cannot use its former location anymore. The Innoventions footprint is an obvious solution, and if one doubles up the space to have the spinner relocated there it would actually increase walkway space significantly in the land, both freeing up the entrance and opening up the middle between Space Mountain/Autopia and the restaurants (aside from any raised tracks).

Phroobar

This actually lines up with their electrified Autopia timeline, so it makes sense.

With Disneyland Forward approved there's less incentive to maximize the area currently occupied by Autopia/Monorail/Peoplemover/Carousel building. While they could still demolish the Carousel building as part of bringing back the Peoplemover (it would make sense to make that space the footprint for the loading/line area of a new Peoplemover and a moved Astro-Orbitor up a level or two again), they could also leave all the buildings as-is.

If I'm redoing Tomorrowland in a retro-future sense and bringing back the Peoplemover, one of the challenges is indeed where the load/offload and line goes. They really cannot use its former location anymore. The Innoventions footprint is an obvious solution, and if one doubles up the space to have the spinner relocated there it would actually increase walkway space significantly in the land, both freeing up the entrance and opening up the middle between Space Mountain/Autopia and the restaurants (aside from any raised tracks).
Why wouldn't use the load/unload Peoplemover location? The PM never has a line because it is constantly loading. The Astro-Orbitor has the line issue due to the use of the elevator. But then again, it's not an issue in Florida.

iu

iu

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Why wouldn't use the load/unload Peoplemover location? The PM never has a line because it is constantly loading. The Astro-Orbitor has the line issue due to the use of the elevator. But then again, it's not an issue in Florida.

iu

iu
I think the idea is that if you get it out of the middle of the land and put it in footprint of the Launch Bay building that it would open up the walkway more. And wouldn't clog the walkways with queues for either attraction if combined again.

Phroobar

Why would moving 150ft to the east prevent them from doing that? It doesn't have to be in the middle of the walkway just because that is where it was originally.
The People Mover has no queue since it is continuously loading. The Astro Orbitor will have a line because of the elevator.

britain

The People Mover has no queue since it is continuously loading. The Astro Orbitor will have a line because of the elevator.
I like this idea of rebuilding the peoplemover and orbiter platform in the place of the carousel theater. But have a nice sloping ramp (kind of like the one on the carousel now, but I recommend a new build) take people up to the orbiter, rather than use an elevator.

I also like the notion that DisneylandForward has decreased the pressure on making every square foot of existing Disneyland count. This could even mean keeping the extended peoplemover tracks over the subs.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Stating the same thing over again doesn't help your case here. The issue is not the PM queue, its the Astro Orbitor queue, which would have to snake through the middle of the lands walkway, something Disney wants to prevent.

So if the idea is to get any queue out of the middle of the walkway then either A. Astro Orbitor won't go back on top of PM or B. they will need to move the whole PM load/unload/Astro Orbitor plot to another location that can handle the queue so its not in the middle of the walkway.

mickEblu

Original Poster

Good points and they don't lose any existing attractions by using the BLAB building. I guess they could also have a show scene or two inside the carrousel building. I'd love to know what IP or IP's they are planning on bringing the PeopleMover back with because you know its coming.

mickEblu

Original Poster
View attachment 799509

The project would’ve also rerouted the monorail around it, and added a Star Wars coaster behind it.

If the Astro Orbitor isn't going back up on a platform as the lands wienie it would be nice if they gave us a new icon or wienie using the Carrousel Building and or a new structure like the one above. Although would that really work if you still have the Astro Orbitor in the front of the land?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom