New Tomorrowland @ Disneyland? Is this the year it finally gets announced? No, and that’s OK

mickEblu

Original Poster
My predictions for TL refresh:

People Mover returns with either Stitch show scenes going into BLAB show building

OR

Stitch retheme of BLAB

Astro Orbitor (sadly) stays where it is

Electric Autopia

Nemo stays

Star Tours stays

Space Mountain stays (obviously)

Dark horse: Space 220 or sit down restaurant to Launch Bay building

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
I agree with both points. If we aren't talking modesty though, back to my point about Avatar, I firmly believe the Avatar expansion in that space would do much better as a nice connection between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland, as Avatar is a fantasy-styled futuristic franchise. Why put it in DCA when it could go there?

I understand the reasons for not putting it there, primarily for preserving the classic Disneyland grounds and overall aesthetic of the charm of the park, but remember that Star Wars Galaxy's Edge is also a single IP land that has worked well within Disneyland Park.

I'd say put Avatar where Disneyland Forward expansion is slated behind Critter Country and save the Motorboat Cruise/Autopia area for Fantasy Springs styled attractions and restaurants. That way, both Star Wars and Avatar, single IP lands, rest beyond the official berm of Disneyland (beyond the railroad tracks).

Thematically I’d agree but I don’t want to even think about something big and expansive going into that area of DL. Don’t trust them to do it right and make it feel natural. Galaxies Edge is hidden from the rest of the park. That’s not the case here. DCA really needs the big draw now so I like the boat ride going there. The Peter Pan Avengers ride won’t cut it.

Yeah I agree either a Fantasyland expansion in the motorboat area or something modest like a nice restaurant. Or nothing at all. That works for me

TheRealSkull

Thematically I’d agree but I don’t want to even think about something big and expansive going into that area of DL. Don’t trust them to do it right and make it feel natural. Galaxies Edge is hidden from the rest of the park. That’s not the case here. DCA really needs the big draw now so I like the boat ride going there. The Peter Pan Avengers ride won’t cut it.

Yeah I agree either a Fantasyland expansion in the motorboat area or something modest like a nice restaurant. Or nothing at all. That works for me
Agree completely. That boat ride would be the perfect draw, but man I still struggle to see the connection between Avatar and DCA unless there's a name change. But something tells me they would have done it by now, right?

mickEblu

Original Poster
Agree completely. That boat ride would be the perfect draw, but man I still struggle to see the connection between Avatar and DCA unless there's a name change. But something tells me they would have done it by now, right?

But why is Mission Breakout ok? The only things that have a connection to California at the park at this point are BVS, Grizzly Peak and Hollywoodland (which is most likely on borrowed time). Everything else we have to hop on one leg, squint and do mental gymnastics to make a connection.

Professortango1

But why is Mission Breakout ok? The only things that have a connection to California at the park at this point are BVS, Grizzly Peak and Hollywoodland (which is most likely on borrowed time). Everything else we have to hop on one leg, squint and do mental gymnastics to make a connection.
Mission BO "landed" across the street from Disneyland, CA. They even wrote it into the dialogue, but we can rarely hear it when on the ride. Its really dumb, but they did do the backbend to make Mission BO and Avengers Campus fit California.

Radiator Springs fits California, as does Pixar Pier (despite how ugly it is), San Fransokyo, Hollywood Land, and Grizzly Peak. If they add Avatar, I really hope they change the name/theme of the park as the ride doesn't fit DCA at all unless we are visiting the movie set, which doesn't work if we are supposed to be immersed into the "world of Avatar."

mickEblu

Original Poster
Mission BO "landed" across the street from Disneyland, CA. They even wrote it into the dialogue, but we can rarely hear it when on the ride. Its really dumb, but they did do the backbend to make Mission BO and Avengers Campus fit California.

Radiator Springs fits California, as does Pixar Pier (despite how ugly it is), San Fransokyo, Hollywood Land, and Grizzly Peak. If they add Avatar, I really hope they change the name/theme of the park as the ride doesn't fit DCA at all unless we are visiting the movie set, which doesn't work if we are supposed to be immersed into the "world of Avatar."

Hence why I said hop on one leg, squint and do mental gymnastics. Haha

britain

It seems likely that the best thing we can hope for at this time in DL history is not a bold, ambitious new Tomorrowland. But at least it’s an acknowledgment that embarrassingly broken things can’t stay like that forever.

And mild refurbishments like new pavers, light fixtures, adjusted placement of planters, new background music, and new paint can go a long way.

Hopefully this means bringing back the Peoplemover. Worst case scenario, it at least means dismantling the Peoplemover track.

Sneaky

It seems likely that the best thing we can hope for at this time in DL history is not a bold, ambitious new Tomorrowland. But at least it’s an acknowledgment that embarrassingly broken things can’t stay like that forever.

And mild refurbishments like new pavers, light fixtures, adjusted placement of planters, new background music, and new paint can go a long way.

Hopefully this means bringing back the Peoplemover. Worst case scenario, it at least means dismantling the Peoplemover track.
Man, I know the peoplemover thing has been kicked around for so long, but is it even possible at a reasonable budget? What’s even been proposed? Also idk what happens to carousel theatre, demolition?

mickEblu

Original Poster
Man, I know the peoplemover thing has been kicked around for so long, but is it even possible at a reasonable budget? What’s even been proposed? Also idk what happens to carousel theatre, demolition?

I don’t think you can market a “new” Tomorrowland without one new ride. And if there is going to be a “new” ride then my bet would be on the Peoplemover returning. A Buzz retheme could also be a contender. Or perhaps intertwined with the PeopleMovers return due to its location and history.

Sneaky

I don’t think you can market a “new” Tomorrowland without one new ride. And if there is going to be a “new” ride then my bet would be on the Peoplemover returning. A Buzz retheme could also be a contender. Or perhaps intertwined with the PeopleMovers return due to its location and history.
I hope that’s possibly but the only thing I worry about is budget.

britain

I agree, and I hope that’s the case. However, it’s very possible they simply rip out the dead stuff, broken track, carousel building, freshen up everything else, call the electric Autopia and relocated Orbitor the “new rides” and call it a day.

Yes, it would leave an empty spot where the carousel used to be, but it would be better to have that spot clear as they wait for the right attraction to replace it than to continue to live with dead bones.

And honestly, a pleasant open space is more tantalizing to look at. It would be like DL Paris when it opened and there was just a circular field where Space Mountain would be built a few years later.

TheRealSkull

Also, a closure of Autopia to revamp for the new electric cars is also a great excuse to tear down the PeopleMover tracks in that area, too. Might also result in the closure of the Monorail for a bit, but they also might be tying in that closure too, whenever they need to close down the Monorail for Disneyland Forward construction.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Monorail is supposed to close at some point to accommodate for Disneyland Forward right? If so, that's a reason the Disneyland Forward expansion and New Tomorrowland construction could happen simultaneously.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I agree, and I hope that’s the case. However, it’s very possible they simply rip out the dead stuff, broken track, carousel building, freshen up everything else, call the electric Autopia and relocated Orbitor the “new rides” and call it a day.

Yes, it would leave an empty spot where the carousel used to be, but it would be better to have that spot clear as they wait for the right attraction to replace it than to continue to live with dead bones.

And honestly, a pleasant open space is more tantalizing to look at. It would be like DL Paris when it opened and there was just a circular field where Space Mountain would be built a few years later.

I don’t see them ripping out the carousel building if it’s just a refresh where they are being budget conscious. Those two things are conflicting to me. What would be the purpose of spending the money to demo it just to leave an open space? Right now they actually use it for DVC lounge, Vader meet n greets, firework up sales etc.

I also see a People Mover returning before I see them relocating the Astro Orbitor. One would be a new ride they can market and one would be an old ride in a better location for the sole purpose of showmanship. This current Disney wouldn’t spend the money to do the latter.

Last edited:

Sneaky

I don’t see them ripping out the carousel building if it’s just a refresh where they are being budget conscious. Those two things are conflicting to me. What would be the purpose of spending the money to demo it just to leave an open space? I also see a People Mover returning before I see them relocating an Astro Orbitor. One would be a new ride they can market and would be an old ride in a better location for the sole purpose of showmanship. This current Disney wouldn’t do the latter.
Has there been anything pointing towards a peoplemover return though? Where would the track even go too? Just around the Main Street area? That’d be kinda short in disneylands case. What about the theatre too?

britain

It’s possible that whatever plans they have for the carousel theater are just too darn expensive to swallow. And it might be more palatable to separate the destruction of the carousel theater from the construction of a new attraction. The new attraction could begin construction two or three years down the line after New Tomorrowland opens.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Has there been anything pointing towards a peoplemover return though? Where would the track even go too? Just around the Main Street area? That’d be kinda short in disneylands case.

The rumors from a couple years ago were saying it would be shortened and only go around TL proper and not over subs/ Autopia anymore. That sounds believable* to me which is why I think they would need to beef up the ride time by adding show scenes in one of the buildings most likely BLAB. I also don’t think it would ever come back without an IP attached which is why I say Stitch. He had no presence at DLR and sells a ton of merch and is pretty popular with young millennials and young Gen Z’ers.

* They get to have their cake and eat it too. Demo all the outdoor track that’s not in TL proper, keep budget in check and still market a “new” ride which is really the meat of what the People Mover experience was. We just want to sit in that vehicle for 10 minutes and see/ feel the kinetic energy of them going around TL proper. Seeing them from the TL entrance/ hub going into those buildings would be a sight to see.

Sneaky

The rumors from a couple years ago were saying it would be shortened and only go around TL proper and not over subs/ Autopia anymore. That sounds believable* to me which is why I think they would need to beef up the ride time by adding show scenes in one of the buildings most likely BLAB. I also don’t think it would ever come back without an IP attached which is why I say Stitch. He had no presence at DLR and sells a ton of merch and is pretty popular with young millennials and young Gen
was that rumor even credible? It was mainly a rumor from what I remember which makes me kidna wary, I didn’t use this site back then tho. So would the layout be more like the first image or the second one? I traced over an old layout sheet.

Attachments

• Untitled20_20240709123841.png
    Untitled20_20240709123841.png
    513.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Untitled20_20240709123850.png
    Untitled20_20240709123850.png
    502.4 KB · Views: 65

mickEblu

Original Poster
It’s possible that whatever plans they have for the carousel theater are just too darn expensive to swallow. And it might be more palatable to separate the destruction of the carousel theater from the construction of a new attraction. The new attraction could begin construction two or three years down the line after New Tomorrowland opens.

So just demo it now since they have that part of the land closed anyway? I guess it’s possible but they would need to close down that part of the land when they build whatever is going there anyway so why not wait til then? So people have some more open space to walk around? I think I’d rather see the Carrosuel building. Actually since they got rid of all the old AAs at at TBA can we just get America Sings back?

Sneaky

So hypothetically, peoplemover would have views inside space mountain, star tours, star traders, and we would have something above buzz? And general views of the subs and stuff?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom