New Tomorrowland @ Disneyland? Is this the year it finally gets announced? No, and that’s OK

Consumer

Some interesting rumblings from some guy. Mainly posting this for the question of: if this is what happens, how do you feel?

Not a solution, but still an improvement. I’ll be happy when they remove Astro Orbitor and move Star Tours to Galaxys Edge.

TheRealSkull

I've already given my thoughts as to what my vision for Tomorrowland would be, but here's a revision IF they were to go this route of not a complete overhaul, then at the BARE MINIMUM this needs to happen:

1. New attractions in Buzz Lightyear and Star Tours buildings.
2. Demolish Carousel theatre and put a new attraction in its place.
3. Tomorrowland theater needs something than what it is currently. Literally anything. I would vote a new counter service area and make the Pizza Planet space the new queue area for whatever they replace the Carousel theater with. Though that could cause some congestion next to Space Mountain's entrance, but then that's more reason for them to put the escalators back where they were.
4. Astro Orbiter anywhere else, but the front of the land. New entrance entirely.
5. PeopleMover. I don't know how, but we all know that fans, including us, won't be happy without a new PeopleMover. Kinetic energy is needed so badly in this land. Suppose where the new loading platform for the PeopleMover goes where the Carousel theater is today.
6. Remove all color schemes of Tomorrowland 1998. A blue, white, and silver future is always preferable.

Again, this sounds like a lot, but the only things demoed were the Carousel theatre, Pizza Planet restaurant, Astro Orbiter, and the old PeopleMover tracks. It would be perfectly easy to do these in phases, too. I doubt even Disney will do even half the things I mentioned above, but it's worth thinking about anyway.

Sneaky

PeopleMover. I don't know how, but we all know that fans, including us, won't be happy without a new PeopleMover. Kinetic energy is needed so badly in this land. Suppose where the new loading platform for the PeopleMover goes where the Carousel theater is today.
I dunno man, Idk if it happens. I want to for you guys as a Florida person, but idk man. I hope you do, you deserve something like that, but idk how that happens with all the track stuff. And the building codes and stuff.

Nland316

We’ve talked about TL to death, but I actually do think this is the smartest way to approach the remodel — more retrofitting and returning back to the way things were versus full demo.

Highly skeptical of Disney’s ability to create a NEW Tomorrowland that will match/exceed fan expectations from the ground up in terms of attraction count and original layout.

TL has good bones, just needs a LOT of work. I imagine it being similar to the Epcot remodel, but hopefully with more substance. A lot of the changes that were praised at Epcot were when they reverted back to their OG look.

Definitely see this approach getting lots of good reception too.

Sub lagoon / Autopia would still exist for future park expansion too I would assume.

TheRealSkull

We’ve talked about TL to death, but I actually do think this is the smartest way to approach the remodel — more retrofitting and returning back to the way things were versus full demo.

Highly skeptical of Disney’s ability to create a NEW Tomorrowland that will match/exceed fan expectations from the ground up in terms of attraction count and original layout.

TL has good bones, just needs a LOT of work. I imagine it being similar to the Epcot remodel, but hopefully with more substance. A lot of the changes that were praised at Epcot were when they reverted back to their OG look.

Definitely see this approach getting lots of good reception too.

Sub lagoon / Autopia would still exist for future park expansion too I would assume.
Unless they are serious about keeping Autopia and electrifying it. The question comes down to, will they actually do that by 2026, or will it close to make way for a new attraction?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I dunno man, Idk if it happens. I want to for you guys as a Florida person, but idk man. I hope you do, you deserve something like that, but idk how that happens with all the track stuff. And the building codes and stuff.
If it were to happen I imagine there are two plans depending on the budget and the current state of the existing track -

1. Completely rebuild the entire track. (most likely in my opinion)

2. Reuse sections of the existing track while rebuilding parts that need it, and I believe several large sections need it. (less likely but still possible)

As I recall several insiders over the years have said that both ideas have been kicked around for years. So we'll see what happens if they ever announce it.

Nland316

Unless they are serious about keeping Autopia and electrifying it. The question comes down to, will they actually do that by 2026, or will it close to make way for a new attraction?
Purely going off the vibe of that rumor, I’d imagine it’s more of a modest retrofit of the ride.

The subs + Autopia at some point will go, but them electrifying it definitely saves it for more years (especially with DL Forward taking front and center for the time after).

I’m sure once the main corridors and hub of TL are renovated, it would be easier to close the subs/Autopia together whenever that point comes.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Purely going off the vibe of that rumor, I’d imagine it’s more of a modest retrofit of the ride.

The subs + Autopia at some point will go, but them electrifying it definitely saves it for more years (especially with DL Forward taking front and center for the time after).

I’m sure once the main corridors and hub of TL are renovated, it would be easier to close the subs/Autopia together whenever that point comes.

Yeah with all the attention going to DL Forward and Avatar/ DCA I don’t see anything happening to the Subs/Autopia for 15+ years. Hopefully never or when we can trust WDI again.

TheRealSkull

Yeah with all the attention going to DL Forward and Avatar/ DCA I don’t see anything happening to the Subs/Autopia for 15+ years. Hopefully never or when we can trust WDI again.
I remember when everyone was saying that Frozen would be taking over that area, with the Matterhorn serving as a nice backdrop for that area. Pretty sure the last we have heard of that rumor was 2022 after Scott Trowbridge posted that video of the Motorboat Cruise area on X. Since then, everyone was talking about Avatar in that area, which I guess is still a very very slim possibility, but those rumors have died, too.

I wonder what has happened to the Motorboat Cruise area plans since. My guess is whatever they were planning got shelved. It really seems like the east side of Disneyland can't catch a break, as it has the potential to be truly great.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I remember when everyone was saying that Frozen would be taking over that area, with the Matterhorn serving as a nice backdrop for that area. Pretty sure the last we have heard of that rumor was 2022 after Scott Trowbridge posted that video of the Motorboat Cruise area on X. Since then, everyone was talking about Avatar in that area, which I guess is still a very very slim possibility, but those rumors have died, too.

I wonder what has happened to the Motorboat Cruise area plans since. My guess is whatever they were planning got shelved. It really seems like the east side of Disneyland can't catch a break, as it has the potential to be truly great.

Yeah I’d throw Motorboat cruise area in the category of not being touched for 15 + years as well. But then again it depends what they end up doing there. If it’s just a restaurant it could be much sooner. If not, I’d imagine any new ride there would come after TL which would come after DL Forward stuff which would come after Avatar/ Avengers.

It probably got shelved becasue it was going to be Frozen and Frozen probably moved to one of the DL Forward plots now. I can argue for or against Frozen going there. I’d be in favor of Frozen not going there in the hopes that something more modest goes there like the park from Mary Poppins or a nicer themed Fantasyland sit down restaurant like BOG or the Snuggly Duckling. I’d argue for it going there to preserve DL forward plots for properties that would not work inside DL proper.

Last edited:

TheRealSkull

Yeah I’d throw Motorboat cruise area in the category of not being touched for 15 + years as well. But then again it depends what they end up doing there. If it’s just a restaurant it could be much sooner. If not, I’d imagine any new ride there would come after TL which would come after DL Forward stuff which would come after Avatar/ Avengers.

It probably got shelved becasue it was going to be Frozen and Frozen probably moved to one of the DL Forward plots now. I can argue for or against Frozen going there. I’d be in favor of Frozen not going there in the hopes that something more modest goes there like the park from Mary Poppins or a nicer themed Fantasyland sit down restaurant like BOG or the Snuggly Duckling. I’d argue for it going there to preserve DL forward plots for properties that would not work inside DL proper.
I agree with both points. If we aren't talking modesty though, back to my point about Avatar, I firmly believe the Avatar expansion in that space would do much better as a nice connection between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland, as Avatar is a fantasy-styled futuristic franchise. Why put it in DCA when it could go there?

I understand the reasons for not putting it there, primarily for preserving the classic Disneyland grounds and overall aesthetic of the charm of the park, but remember that Star Wars Galaxy's Edge is also a single IP land that has worked well within Disneyland Park.

I'd say put Avatar where Disneyland Forward expansion is slated behind Critter Country and save the Motorboat Cruise/Autopia area for Fantasy Springs styled attractions and restaurants. That way, both Star Wars and Avatar, single IP lands, rest beyond the official berm of Disneyland (beyond the railroad tracks).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom