News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

Step 1. Disney Plans Theater
Step 2. Disney finds sink hole where theater was planned
Step 3. Disney cancels theater
Step 4. Disney Announces new attraction where you freefall below ground level... "Mr. Toad's Even Wilder Rider" (this time, the ride really does end in hell.. or at least a little bit closer to it)

Getting Mr. Toad back is a win for me. Though I would like the theater too.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Club Cooloholic

This just in, Disney announced sophisticated new restaurant and lounge to open near Main street. They say it should beat the opening of the Starwars and Toy story areas by at least a month.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Changes in scope, many of which occurred before moving into schematic design, are not the same as out right cancellation after approval, announcement and even some permit applications. New Fantasyland is really the only example of major, post-announcement changes. Hyperion Wharf was cancelled but vague and Disney Springs’ big post-approval cut was the Highline access.

And washing all those things through the computer...what's the common denominator?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The placement for this was really poor. The Magic Kingdom is a tricky park because compared to the other parks, there is very very little room for support areas and parking. That backstage lot is used for so many things, for so many purposes, that losing it would really make a difference in the business operation.

I always thought they should have looked at completely rebuilding the Tony's/Expo Hall building into a much larger theater.

I agree with you here...that placement was bad.

The biggest mistake they've made in the last 30 years was actually be our guest...that's prime attraction space...and putting a glorified cafeteria there...next to a bad cafeteria in pinnochios...is too big of a block for that space.

MK does have expansion space problems...jungle cruise and Tom Sawyer island being too big for what they provide.

brb1006

The placement for this was really poor. The Magic Kingdom is a tricky park because compared to the other parks, there is very very little room for support areas and parking. That backstage lot is used for so many things, for so many purposes, that losing it would really make a difference in the business operation.

I always thought they should have looked at completely rebuilding the Tony's/Expo Hall building into a much larger theater.
What about the blessing of size?

CJR

If they were far into planning the show, I wonder if it might get bumped to DHS or some place else.

po1998

- An attraction that an entire family can enjoy...check

- At a park bursting at the seams...check

- Can eat thousands of guests per day depending on frequency...check

Oops...Somebody at TDO just realized the labor costs for putting on a broadway style production 3-4 times a day x 365 days a year, and put the kibosh on this project.

Really really really disappointing. :(

PS Have no fear, I'm sure that there will be an announcement down the road of a screen based 2 minute piece of crap attraction that can be manned by 4 CP CM's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom