News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I feel like the only way they could put a positive spin on this and not look pathetic would be to announce a new attraction in its place. Things could get interesting.

Step 1. Disney Plans Theater
Step 2. Disney finds sink hole where theater was planned
Step 3. Disney cancels theater
Step 4. Disney Announces new attraction where you freefall below ground level... "Mr. Toad's Even Wilder Rider" (this time, the ride really does end in hell.. or at least a little bit closer to it)

lazyboy97o

This one is interesting because construction was about to be underway. it seems we usually see things get cancelled well before.
Site construction was imminent but I’m not sure building construction was as imminent.

Like a few others have mentioned already, I really think this might have been an unforeseen issue with the ground/water table in that area or those dreaded sinkholes perhaps? Just seems odd they were starting construction and then suddenly stopped it.

The only thing I am wondering is don't they usually do complex engineering studies/surveys and gather data for the land and water table before they would even announce such a project or start construction? So maybe it wasn't an issue with the land in that spot?
Sinkholes aren’t really something you know about. The project site is well above the water table, being above the utilidor level. Geotechnical surveys are undertaken but that does not mean that the foundations have been fully designed.

Last edited:

JohnD

Like a few others have mentioned already, I really think this might have been an unforeseen issue with the ground/water table in that area or those dreaded sinkholes perhaps? Just seems odd they were starting construction and then suddenly stopped it.

The only thing I am wondering is don't they usually do complex engineering studies/surveys and gather data for the land and water table before they would even announce such a project or start construction? So maybe it wasn't an issue with the land in that spot?

Except, in this case, construction isn't exactly on top of terra firma. It's on the 2nd floor of the Magic Kingdom on dirt dredged out for the SSL. Who knows what the structural issues are with the utilidors already directly underneath?

LukeS7

On the bright side, perhaps they decided to build something that can handle 2000 an hour, every hour.
So 2,000/hr every hour would indicate a dark ride most likely. If this is still an MK project that's replacing it but something going into a different area, would it be possible we'd be getting the trackless Beauty & the Beast dark ride that Tokyo is getting? (total speculation obviously)

donsullivan

Premium Member
Except, in this case, construction isn't exactly on top of terra firma. It's on the 2nd floor of the Magic Kingdom on dirt dredged out for the SSL. Who knows what the structural issues are with the utilidors already directly underneath?

I don't believe the utilidoors are under the area this was slated to go. It does however have all the hallmarks of them discovering the site was unsuitable for construction once site prep got started.

MrHappy

Like most of us, I was concerned that the budget was being reallocated to cover other overages or unforeseen maintenance issues. But Martin's latest gives us hope, certainly. The tear down of the walls at the proposed theater location makes me think of famous bulldozer scenes in movies, the first that comes to mind is the classic "Electric Boogaloo" to save "Miracles" - you know, when the construction equipment is all there and the jerky foreman. In this case, the rally was to save a parking lot. But still.

lazyboy97o

The theater was not situated directly above the utilidors and was possibly so far back to avoid being directly over them. That doesn’t mean that sub grade work could not have affected the nearby tunnels.

crxbrett

Site construction was imminent but I’m not sure building construction was as imminent.

Sinkholes aren’t really something you know about. The project site is well above the water table, being above the utilidor level. Geotechnical surveys are undertaken but that does not mean that the foundations have been fully designed.

Fair enough. I never claimed to know about sinkholes though and was just assuming and throwing out my thoughts and ideas on the subject lol I was asking and assuming Disney usually does a lot of thorough investigation of the land and nearby area when they plan a project or building to avoid such a thing from happening - assuming that is what even stopped construction in this case.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom