News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

lazyboy97o

Fair enough. I never claimed to know about sinkholes though and was just assuming and throwing out my thoughts and ideas on the subject lol I was asking and assuming Disney usually does a lot of thorough investigation of the land and nearby area when they plan a project or building to avoid such a thing from happening - assuming that is what even stopped construction in this case.
Geotechnical surveys are going to tell your design team about the existing conditions. They occur before design so they don’t tell you how a design is going to impact the area.

brb1006

The 2000 guests per hour capacity needs to be emphasized that it would have been 2000 guests for about an hour. Swallowing a giant group like that for a long period is exactly what MK needs.
Now that I think about it, what is the closest attraction at Walt Disney World that can match that.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I think a new theater is needed at MK though. MK needs something to swallow crowds.
I thought this was perfect for MK as it seemed to be a new thing that could swallow lots of people for a long time, but, crucially, would not be likely to draw new crowds itself. Tron will swallow a lot of people for an hour or so (with queue), but will bring a lot of new people to the park who will then be there the rest of the day as well, and therefore won't relieve crowds at all. This theater could have swallowed up 2,000 at a time for most of the afternoon, and wouldn't have drawn a ton of extra visitors to the park.

LukeS7

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm slow on the take here...

But unless all the discussion for 10 years has been way off...there have been significant cancellations/alterations/or budget reductions to the following projects over the last decade:

1. New fantasyland
2. Avatar
3. Toy story land
4. Disney springs

...that may not be a "pattern" per se...but it's also not a "series of unfortunate events"

I would expect something similar in the grand scheme at Epcot in the next year as well.

Perhaps the problem is D23...and what it actually is?

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

But unless all the discussion for 10 years has been way off...there have been significant cancellations/alterations/or budget reductions to the following projects over the last decade:

1. New fantasyland
2. Avatar
3. Toy story land
4. Disney springs

...that may not be a "pattern" per se...but it's also not a "series of unfortunate events"

I would expect something similar in the grand scheme at Epcot in the next year as well.

I think the shock is that construction was were up, then taken down. Cuts typically happen before ground clearing stages.

lazyboy97o

1. New fantasyland
2. Avatar
3. Toy story land
4. Disney springs

Changes in scope, many of which occurred before moving into schematic design, are not the same as out right cancellation after approval, announcement and even some permit applications. New Fantasyland is really the only example of major, post-announcement changes. Hyperion Wharf was cancelled but vague and Disney Springs’ big post-approval cut was the Highline access.

TrojanUSC

The placement for this was really poor. The Magic Kingdom is a tricky park because compared to the other parks, there is very very little room for support areas and parking. That backstage lot is used for so many things, for so many purposes, that losing it would really make a difference in the business operation.

I always thought they should have looked at completely rebuilding the Tony's/Expo Hall building into a much larger theater.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom