New Star Wars live stage show coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios this Spring

FigmentForver96

To me the center doesn't look or feel dead. But I understand people will have different opinions. And I understand that large trees in the center of the hub wouldn't make sense if they want to continue to do projection shows. I like those shows and would take them over a few trees in the center of the hub. However, I do get that people would take trees over projection shows.
I can't speak for others but for myself the trees just gave the area a more park like feel. I like the projextions but I think we can have both. Those who see it with the unobstructed view get to watch and those who don't might have to come back to get the perfect view.

Donaldfan1934

These trees:
View attachment 134448
Were replaced with these trees in mid-February:
View attachment 134449

The trees infront of the Chinese Theater are still there and will probably remain. They are present the the concept art for the fireworks show.
View attachment 134450
Ok, I get it now. When @MansionButler84 said that they removed the trees in front the Chinese Theater, I thought it meant the trees just reinstated behind Center Stage. This isn't ideal, but its nowhere near as bad as I thought. It actually looks like they'll be adding more trees to the hub based on that concept art, but we'll have to wait and see the final product to judge.

Donaldfan1934

I can't speak for others but for myself the trees just gave the area a more park like feel. I like the projextions but I think we can have both. Those who see it with the unobstructed view get to watch and those who don't might have to come back to get the perfect view.
You hit it right on the nose. I would rather take minor obstruction for a half hour a night than have a completely dead and ugly space all day and most of the night. The tourist appeasing ruins everything and this is one of the most prime examples of it. I still haven't lost all hope that the trees will never ever return, especially since they got rid of the BAH at DHS.

Donaldfan1934

intentions change as the hub serves a different purpose today. Based on the shows they currently do most likely continue to do, there was no chance of them ever putting trees back into the center of the hub. None. Zero.

The original intention of the hub is no longer the current intention. And based on the new intentions, the hub has been adapted accordingly.
Well then, why is it still able to serve both purposes at Disneyland with no problems? And why was it ever able to serve both purposes at WDW? The logic behind the removal all those years ago was poor and sad.

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Well then, why is it still able to serve purposes both at Disneyland with no problems? And why was it ever able to serve both purposes at WDW? The logic behind the removal all those years ago was poor and sad.

We can go back and forth on this forever...I have seen this debate play out 100 times on this forum and it leads to nothing new...so it is probably better that you stick to feeling your way about it, and I stick to feeling my way.

Donaldfan1934

We can go back and forth on this forever...I have seen this debate play out 100 times on this forum and it leads to nothing new...so it is probably better that you stick to feeling your way about it, and I stick to feeling my way.
that's fair. I think that its fine that you have yor preference and I have mine. I just wanted to get across the point that it can and has served both purposes. Not trying to convince you to want trees, just saying that the using the night time shows as the main reason is flawed. Like @FigmentForver96 said, both sides can be pleased to an extent.

yensid67

Looks that way. It's all Star Wars now :)

So much for building up all the Frozen hype...only to be replaced by Star Wars...wonder if they will scrap Frozen theme from Maelstrom and replace it with Star Wars theme!!?? I was always wondering WHY they were making everything Frozen themed...ya knew in a year or two, there would be something else that would be popular and they will want to retheme something else! Wonder how long Summerhaus meet and greet area will be around!!?? Seems like a waste of money...but hopefully they built it so it can be repurposed as something else.

But all in all, I think Star Wars theme is the way to go...since there are soo many sci-fi fans! I think DHS should be renamed to something that reflects it as a stand alone park for their franchises like Star Wars and Toy Story...maybe Disney's Hollywoodland?

yensid67

intentions change as the hub serves a different purpose today. Based on the shows they currently do most likely continue to do, there was no chance of them ever putting trees back into the center of the hub. None. Zero.

The original intention of the hub is no longer the current intention. And based on the new intentions, the hub has been adapted accordingly.
Does anyone remember the original MGM-Disney park hub? The one where it actually made a Mickey face if viewed from above? Wonder if the face is still there? I doubt it since they even took their houses away...now the gang doesn't have a place to live and has to spend forever at a circus...kinda like a groundhog circus...reference to groundhog day movie! LOL

Jon81uk

So much for building up all the Frozen hype...only to be replaced by Star Wars...wonder if they will scrap Frozen theme from Maelstrom and replace it with Star Wars theme!!?? I was always wondering WHY they were making everything Frozen themed...ya knew in a year or two, there would be something else that would be popular and they will want to retheme something else! Wonder how long Summerhaus meet and greet area will be around!!?? Seems like a waste of money...but hopefully they built it so it can be repurposed as something else.

But all in all, I think Star Wars theme is the way to go...since there are soo many sci-fi fans! I think DHS should be renamed to something that reflects it as a stand alone park for their franchises like Star Wars and Toy Story...maybe Disney's Hollywoodland?

Ummm, Frozen Summer Fun was nothing more than temporary parades to bring new life in to a park that has never seen enough new attractions. Then before anyone could get bored, they replaced it with Star Wars Season of the Force. I don't expect that to last more than two or three years either. Then shortly after we will get Star Wars land instead of the temporary stages shows and films. Similarly instead of the temporary Frozen Summer Fun we are getting a permanent Frozen ride and Princess meet and greet.

BrerJon

I really like it, amazed they didn't block it with rigging or a backgrop. Surely someone at Imagineering suggested a giant Darth Vader helmet might look real nice blocking the view of the theatre? No?

But it's great to see they seem to have finally figured out that not blocking the theatre looks better than blocking it, good work.

FigmentFan3

Does anyone remember the original MGM-Disney park hub? The one where it actually made a Mickey face if viewed from above? Wonder if the face is still there? I doubt it since they even took their houses away...now the gang doesn't have a place to live and has to spend forever at a circus...kinda like a groundhog circus...reference to groundhog day movie! LOL
Check out google earth, maps, etc on satellite view. It's still there minus the ear on the roof of brown derby.

yensid67

I really like it, amazed they didn't block it with rigging or a backgrop. Surely someone at Imagineering suggested a giant Darth Vader helmet might look real nice blocking the view of the theatre? No?

But it's great to see they seem to have finally figured out that not blocking the theatre looks better than blocking it, good work.

But don't ya think having ANY stage blocking the theatre is a bad idea? Why not put the show stage in front of the archway opening as a backdrop? It seems it could be much easier to attach rigging and props to/around archway!?

Biff215

Imagineering probably wouldn't suggest that, but someone in TDO certainly would! Similar to Siemens at SSE, we likely have TCM to thank here.

dstrawn9889

black roof in orlando?? it was sealcoated over, most likely, because the buildings had a higher than average A/C bill per sqft... white roofs are the norm there, esp because of the amount of intense sunlight those areas receive

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom