News New security measures

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
There is a thread in one of the other subforums where someone claims white females are being profiled. When they decide to do half measures instead everyone or no one, everybody thinks they are their race/gender is being unfairly picked out if they get chosen.

As a middle aged white female who was routinely requested to sample the metal detector, my thought was that folks like me were pulled in order to counter the claims of profiling other races, nationalities, ethnicities. Unless CSC thinks a slightly overweight white woman is a potential threat. I'm a threat only to that Mickey ice cream I'm eyeing.....

AEfx

It does make for an unmagical morning when it is 42 degrees outside and you have to strip down to your Tshirt to go through the metal detectors.... Brrrrrr.....

That's shorts weather for me. Man, you just made me wish I was at WDW. Love WDW when you have to put a sweatshirt on. :)

FigmentsFangirl

Now then, I will say this, I got selected {by Disney Security, CSC was nowhere near} on friday morning, asked simply "Could you be so kind as to step over here ?" I said "sure, I'm curious of how the metal detectors are set anyhow and would like to try them out" Turns out its simpler then people think or fear. Simply put your PHONE AND CAMERA {or just phone if the camera is the phone too} in the bowl, step through when instructed, pick up your stuff, and go. Simple as that!

But its weird; after friday morning to go through the new metal detectors I was never selected since then ? Beeen so far to DHS, Epcot, and DAK so far. Only at DHS the first time before lunch at Boardwalk was I selected. Disney Security are also quite nice folks... Memo to Self: they're not like Olaf, no hugs allowed... drats

Disone

Now then, I will say this, I got selected {by Disney Security, CSC was nowhere near} on friday morning, asked simply "Could you be so kind as to step over here ?" I said "sure, I'm curious of how the metal detectors are set anyhow and would like to try them out" Turns out its simpler then people think or fear. Simply put your PHONE AND CAMERA {or just phone if the camera is the phone too} in the bowl, step through when instructed, pick up your stuff, and go. Simple as that!

But its weird; after friday morning to go through the new metal detectors I was never selected since then ? Beeen so far to DHS, Epcot, and DAK so far. Only at DHS the first time before lunch at Boardwalk was I selected. Disney Security are also quite nice folks... Memo to Self: they're not like Olaf, no hugs allowed... drats

Lucky you, I get selected almost 100% of the time. Yes, its getting annoying. I have grown tired of being greeting with "hello, you have been randomly selected to go through.... " Honestly, it would be less annoying to be told "Sir, you know the drill, step on over" but to be told upon almost EVERY entry to the park that I have been randomly selected. Also, the CSC presence is horrible. I have not been selected two or three times, most recently was yesturday, but I walked up to the metal detector and went through it anyway. They did not seem to notice I was not sent over. For me, I was just trying to hate it less and make doing so at a theme park just as routine to as doing so at the airport.

HDS

At WDW all week, I note no moms with kid or kids get selected. Guess they don't know terrorist love children?

Maerj

Lucky you, I get selected almost 100% of the time. Yes, its getting annoying. I have grown tired of being greeting with "hello, you have been randomly selected to go through.... " Honestly, it would be less annoying to be told "Sir, you know the drill, step on over" but to be told upon almost EVERY entry to the park that I have been randomly selected. Also, the CSC presence is horrible. I have not been selected two or three times, most recently was yesturday, but I walked up to the metal detector and went through it anyway. They did not seem to notice I was not sent over. For me, I was just trying to hate it less and make doing so at a theme park just as routine to as doing so at the airport.

I'm not looking forward to this at all. I was just about accused of trying to kidnap my own daughter while at the grocery store by the deli lady. I'd just put some food in the cart, was talking with my wife, then my daughter. Then Deli Lady asked if "I was with them" and I said yes, thinking that she thought that I was looking to buy some cheese or something. Then she asked my wife if she knew me. I hope getting into Disney isn't like that because I really need to relax.

durhay

I'm not looking forward to this at all. I was just about accused of trying to kidnap my own daughter while at the grocery store by the deli lady. I'd just put some food in the cart, was talking with my wife, then my daughter. Then Deli Lady asked if "I was with them" and I said yes, thinking that she thought that I was looking to buy some cheese or something. Then she asked my wife if she knew me. I hope getting into Disney isn't like that because I really need to relax.

You muenster!

lobelia

You muenster!
While I think the show of security isn't merited due to the fact that it only dissuades terrorists from coming in the front door and terror can come from anywhere, I think I would prefer that my bag is x-rayed as opposed to having someone opening my bag and going through my tampons. Putting is on a belt and walking through seems less intrusive.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I said "sure, I'm curious of how the metal detectors are set anyhow and would like to try them out" Turns out its simpler then people think or fear.
I think most adults are completely aware of how metal detectors work and do not "fear" them. I think people are more fearful of the Orwellian nightmare we seem to be rapidly approaching and even more scary is the common persons complete acceptance of the loss of a free society while dismissing it with a simple, "this is the world we live in", as if fear and terror have not been around since the dawn of civilization. These new security measures are more about pacifying the scared masses and have very little effect on actually preventing a premeditated tragedy.

Im not saying Disney should do nothing. But when people, (not saying you) say the feel safer because of this, I have to laugh. My issue is not with the metal detectors, its with those who:

1. justify their own personal capitulation unto others with an emotional appeal,

2. honestly believe that exposed security measures such as these are anything more than a mild deterrent to a criminal with true intent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom