News New security measures

AEfx

Yes agreed, other than the metal detectors I haven't heard anything mentioned that wasn't already present. It's interesting however as people seem to be noticing what was already there as if it's something new. It's funny how we sometimes notice things only when we're thinking of them.

Or when they are shoved in our faces, which is pretty much what has happened here.

PhotoDave219

Held accountable by WHO? Oh yeah... The people that hired them and set the standard of the product to be delivered... Disney. Csc fulfills a requirement. The consequences come from Disney if csc doesn't deliver. And yet, no one can point out things done that Disney hasn't shown acceptance of.

That requirement seems to be budgetary & liability, IMO. CSC's lack of professionalism and their hiring practices dont make me feel safe.

Now is that CSC's fault? Well it is how they choose to run their business.

Is that Disney's fault? They're the one's who choose to go with the cheapest people available.

The people who do the security at the Citrus Bowl and the Amway Arena, they're probably the best I've seen in Orlando. They are their own entity and would have been a far better choice than CSC.

Either way, this is a moot issue until Marathon Weekend when we see if this continues.

PhotoDave219

FWIW - I just returned yesterday from an 11 night stay. I was there just before and just after the metal detector announcement. I may be rehashing some of what was already said, but if you want to read what another pair of eyes saw....

• Immediately noticed increased security even before any announcement. Increase in Disney security, and always saw an OC car at every bus drop off area. Deduced Paris + Holiday season = increased visible presence to make sure they were 'seen'.
  • If anything, security INCREASED after the announcements. Didn't see them pulling too many people out of line, although walking into AK through the 'without bags' entrance a gentleman who must have been just a few feet behind me was asked aside.
  • No discernible increase of security at resort entrances. Nothing additional (beyond the usual MB scan and/or license check), although occasionally I would see extra Disney security at the entrance booth. Could have been coincidence.
  • Tuesday morning, 7 AM driving to MK toll booth (golfing at Palm), saw 3 OC cruisers spaced out in the median from about 3/4 mile out, lights going. Was really starting to wonder if something was afoot and Disney wanted anyone to know they knew or if they were just being reeeaaallllly cautious.
  • As to the CSC folks, I do know them from event screening, and have not seen any prior negative instances at other places. That said, I did wonder why they were using them and not their own people (unless they do not have metal detector training). I also did take note that the people manning the detectors were young people but they seemed to be acting pretty professional to me.

OCSO has run radar in that stretch since at least 2004. Thats nothing new.

Visibility seems to be the big thing these days. Everything you've mentioned (except metal detectors) occurred previously, just much more discreetly. Not so much anymore.

s8film40

That requirement seems to be budgetary & liability, IMO. CSC's lack of professionalism and their hiring practices dont make me feel safe.

Now is that CSC's fault? Well it is how they choose to run their business.

Is that Disney's fault? They're the one's who choose to go with the cheapest people available.

The people who do the security at the Citrus Bowl and the Amway Arena, they're probably the best I've seen in Orlando. They are their own entity and would have been a far better choice than CSC.

Either way, this is a moot issue until Marathon Weekend when we see if this continues.
I don't really fault CSC at all. They simply provide a product (cheap security) that is in high demand. I don't doubt for a moment that they would jump at the chance to provide a more premium product.

s8film40

That's the point I think folks are missing.

Disney went and hired the McDonalds of security.

That doesn't show much of a commitment to this, whatsoever, if it's really some big necessary thing.
This is the reason I think this could all be temporary. If your only going to have it for a few weeks you don't really want to spend money on purchasing metal detectors and hiring more staff that you won't have a position for later.

PhotoDave219

OMG I almost tagged you and said @PhotoDave219 would probably be able to shed some light on knowing exactly where all the speed traps are. ;) I knew it!

Actually.... Last time I got pulled over was Four years ago by OCSO on 535 after a CP cut me off. I got a warning.

Since then? I drive the speed limit. Reduces the chances of imperial Entaglements.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
As I posted earlier, I've interacted with employees of CSC over the past several years while attending home football games. While none of them exhibited the behavior @ford91exploder says he witnessed, I must say these young adults were not the best selection of employees to provide bag security checks for a college football game. They barely paid attention to what they were doing, constantly talking to each other, which resulted in slowing down some lines and a cursory check of bags (Disney at bag check did a better job than some of these kids..and I mean the guy that look at my unzipped backpack and told me I was okay. Note I said he looked at, not in.). I had one of them tell me I couldn't bring in my backpack because of the straps. Which puzzled me to no end. All backpacks have straps. Telling a college student they cannot carry in a backpack is only exceeded by telling them you are confiscating their iPhone. A backpack is part of the college student uniform. And I wasn't a college student and all that was in my backpack was some ponchos, candy, sunscreen, hand wipes and a few other harmless things. A university police officer overheard our conversation and told the young man I was okay, after giving him one of those "do you know what the **** you're doing" looks. And smiled at me with a "I'm so sorry he's been hassling you for the last five minutes" glance. And backpacks weren't a restricted item. However, if one of the CSC employees conducting the bag search during home football games made the remark @ford91exploder said he overheard, there would be one heck of a fight next. Advice, don't make disrespectful remarks to drunk, excited college students attending a big rival football game. The outcome will not be pleasant. I cannot remember the exact number of fights that broke out during our biggest home game this year with our instate rival, but I believe the paper said there were about 2 dozen. And at least that many arrests.

I'm not familiar with all of @ford91exploder's posts, so I'm going to refrain from questioning his veracity.

For the record the guys at DHS were three teenaged white guys trying to act 'Gangsta' and show how badass they were, Personally I don't think they realized anyone heard them above the noise. Wish I had my digtal recorder with me though.

Phroobar

This is the reason I think this could all be temporary. If your only going to have it for a few weeks you don't really want to spend money on purchasing metal detectors and hiring more staff that you won't have a position for later.
Disneyland has been in a state of temporary since 2001 with their cheap bag check tents.

Victor Kelly

Coming from a security field, good security costs money, a lot of it. Hate to be a buzz kill but.........there are weapons that will not be detected my wands or metal detectors. There are weapons so benign looking, the normal person does not register them, and neither do most security people.

draybook

Coming from a security field, good security costs money, a lot of it. Hate to be a buzz kill but.........there are weapons that will not be detected my wands or metal detectors. There are weapons so benign looking, the normal person does not register them, and neither do most security people.

I tried telling the knuckleheads over at the DIS boards this and they just don't get it.

manolo8

Some good security measures but it's going to get crazy going in the theme park during the high season. If they think the scanner from the airports can do the trick. What is Disney going to do, make us take off our shoes, our belts? I also don't know about buzz lightyear guns not been sold.

manolo8

If I were to be a gun toting terrorist.... Why would I walk through the front gate.... When there are hundreds of entry points where I can pose as almost anything and get onsite?

I think this is yet another 'show them something...'

Does anyone think it would be that hard for someone to simply get hired to work there and do something after simply getting backstage?

This kind of stuff isn't going to do anything to stop the determined... Only the irrational stupid ones. I bet they fear ex employees more than isis

Great point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom