News New security measures

friendofafriend

If I were to be a gun toting terrorist.... Why would I walk through the front gate.... When there are hundreds of entry points where I can pose as almost anything and get onsite?

I think this is yet another 'show them something...'

Does anyone think it would be that hard for someone to simply get hired to work there and do something after simply getting backstage?

This kind of stuff isn't going to do anything to stop the determined... Only the irrational stupid ones. I bet they fear ex employees more than isis
I agree, I think we are at a far greater risk of a current or ex cast member going "postal" than we are of being targeted by a large terrorist organization. Cast morale is low and the company show us more and more how little they value us. Logic would tell you that its only a matter of time before someone snaps and potentially in a big way. I'm actually kind of surprised there hasn't been a cast related incident before.

s8film40

I agree, I think we are at a far greater risk of a current or ex cast member going "postal" than we are of being targeted by a large terrorist organization. Cast morale is low and the company show us more and more how little they value us. Logic would tell you that its only a matter of time before someone snaps and potentially in a big way. I'm actually kind of surprised there hasn't been a cast related incident before.
Wasn't that trash can explosive incident at Disneyland Cast related?

AEfx

Disneyland has been in a state of temporary since 2001 with their cheap bag check tents.

I'll be honest though - total double standard I completely admit up front - it doesn't seem nearly as obtrusive at Disneyland as it does at WDW. Disneyland is much more of a standard amusement/theme park when it comes to the entrance experience. In most cases, you are pretty much walking in through the real world (the middle of a city), so it seems like less of an intrusion.

At WDW, when I've already been there for five days, getting pulled aside and some rent-a-cop from a Mickey Mouse outfit asking me to "show them the inside of my cargo shorts" better be asking me out on a date, not impeding me from enjoying the very expensive vacation I am on.

Victor Kelly

What exactly happens if they say no to emptying their pockets? Police ask? Turned away from the parks? They are risking a huge amount on liability. Nowadays you only need to be offended to win millions.

ItlngrlBella

Seriously, it's that bad? I am so sorry. The CM's either really love what they do or they are very good actors - I'm so sad to hear it's that bad. We are always impressed by the amazing CM's. You all deserve so much more.

draybook

Has anyone received a clear cut response about the Halloween parties yet? My wife got this response today:

Dear Amy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about recent policy changes at the Walt Disney World Resort.

Nothing is more important to us than the safety of our Guests and Cast members. Keeping this priority in mind, we have a comprehensive approach to security designed to keep our properties safe. The change to our costume policy for Guests ages 14 and older further strengthens our existing practices. The new costume policy update allows our security personnel to more effectively visually screen Guests at the Theme Parks.

We understand that many of our Guests appreciate becoming part of our stories, and apologize for any disappointment the costume policy change may have on your experience at our properties. Remember that while full costumes are not permitted, you are welcome to dress in the spirit of your favorite characters within policy. Please visit https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/ for more information on our park rules and regulations.

We remain committed to providing you with a safe and memorable visit and look forward to hosting you at one of our properties very soon.

Sincerely,

Justin Harkin

Guest Experience Services

Walt Disney World Resort

Typical canned response, but it's very vague. To me it says that they are standing on the old policy of no costumes on regular days while leaving it open for their future discretion for the party nights. I sent them an email asking for clarification, because some people are like me and have to plan our vacation time before the new year even starts.

draybook

A friend of mine with two prosthetic legs was pulled aside to go through the metal detectors. He was wearing shorts and they asked him, "do you have any metal on your body"?

face_zpsykr8nry6.gif

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Seriously, it's that bad? I am so sorry. The CM's either really love what they do or they are very good actors - I'm so sad to hear it's that bad. We are always impressed by the amazing CM's. You all deserve so much more.

We KNOW that 'Today's Disney' craps on the average CM and managment views them as subhuman, Once again we have the 'Nobles and Serfs' mentality which originates from the top. I'm also surprised there have been no public incidents of CM's 'Going Postal'

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
A friend of mine with two prosthetic legs was pulled aside to go through the metal detectors. He was wearing shorts and they asked him, "do you have any metal on your body"?

Once again that speaks to the low level of professionalism and the simple joy of abusing people one finds in the high testosterone/low IQ strata. "I'm da man U will respect my authoritay'

JUST SIMPLY DISGUSTING - Nice job Disney.

note2001

I hope he's contacted news outlets. That's the only way to fight things like this - embarrassment.
The only way to fight ignorance is with education. If Disney refuses to educate and enforce all CMs and contractors to use that knowledge, then there's a significant problem.

AEfx

The only way to fight ignorance is with education. If Disney refuses to educate and enforce all CMs and contractors to use that knowledge, then there's a significant problem.

This isn't about fighting ignorance, but a really stupid, haphazard, reactionary security program that should have never made it to a public testing phase.

note2001

This isn't about fighting ignorance, but a really stupid, haphazard, reactionary security program that should have never made it to a public testing phase.
I disagree. Every new policy and procedure has a testing phase out in the public. While I have to agree questioning a person wearing any kind of brace or prosthetic was a very ignorant thing to do, obviously they had no idea how to handle the situation other than sticking to their script. They need to teach these folk how to assess and respond appropriately.

So many folk here are biased against these folk who deserve employment simply due to stories from others. Have we seen any reported incidents worthy of a law suit on Disney property yet?

Last edited:

AEfx

So many folk here are biased against these folk who deserve employment simply due to stories from others. Have we seen any reported incidents worthy of a law suit on Disney property yet?

Have we had any incidents on WDW property that demand this type of paranoid activity? You are putting the cart before the horse.

In any case, as those with thinking caps have stated - this type of security theater is not going to actually stop any type of attack. It's some middle-management solution to appease folks who simply are too ignorant to know any better.

s8film40

I disagree. Every new policy and procedural has a testing phase out in the public. While I have to agree questioning a person wearing any kind of brace or prosthetic was a very ignorant thing to do, obviously they had no idea how to handle the situation other than sticking to their script. They need to teach these folk how to assess and respond appropriately.

I think we have, regardless of that though it seems very apparent that CSC's approach on Disney property is in no way different than the way they operate elsewhere and there are certainly many instances of lawsuits resulting from their actions.

The only scenario here that can somewhat paint Disney in a positive or at least neutral light is if this is only a temporary measure. This is why it's somewhat accepted at HHN. If however this is Disney's permanent solution to adding metal detectors as part of their regular security measures than it represents a blatant disregard for the guest experience and customer service on the most basic level.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Are they supposed to be psychic and know his legs are his only area that is surgically altered? Are they not supposed to ask what other areas may need special screening?

donsullivan

Premium Member
when I arrived at Epcot tonight, roughly 50% of those coming thru security check were being routed thru the scanners. The line was relatively short and after they checked my camera backpack I was not routed to the scanners. It was not clear in that brief period what the selection criteria for the scanner was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom