News New security measures

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
You've been known to flat out lie about things on this board so why should anyone believe your tale? It's likely a gross exaggeration like everything else you say.

As I posted earlier, I've interacted with employees of CSC over the past several years while attending home football games. While none of them exhibited the behavior @ford91exploder says he witnessed, I must say these young adults were not the best selection of employees to provide bag security checks for a college football game. They barely paid attention to what they were doing, constantly talking to each other, which resulted in slowing down some lines and a cursory check of bags (Disney at bag check did a better job than some of these kids..and I mean the guy that look at my unzipped backpack and told me I was okay. Note I said he looked at, not in.). I had one of them tell me I couldn't bring in my backpack because of the straps. Which puzzled me to no end. All backpacks have straps. Telling a college student they cannot carry in a backpack is only exceeded by telling them you are confiscating their iPhone. A backpack is part of the college student uniform. And I wasn't a college student and all that was in my backpack was some ponchos, candy, sunscreen, hand wipes and a few other harmless things. A university police officer overheard our conversation and told the young man I was okay, after giving him one of those "do you know what the **** you're doing" looks. And smiled at me with a "I'm so sorry he's been hassling you for the last five minutes" glance. And backpacks weren't a restricted item. However, if one of the CSC employees conducting the bag search during home football games made the remark @ford91exploder said he overheard, there would be one heck of a fight next. Advice, don't make disrespectful remarks to drunk, excited college students attending a big rival football game. The outcome will not be pleasant. I cannot remember the exact number of fights that broke out during our biggest home game this year with our instate rival, but I believe the paper said there were about 2 dozen. And at least that many arrests.

I'm not familiar with all of @ford91exploder's posts, so I'm going to refrain from questioning his veracity.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Because you do not like something does not make it a lie. Just ask anyone who has ever dealt with CSC at a sporting event about their level of professionalism. Someone else posted the interview questions on this thread. Basically the only qualification for this job was a pulse. But we all know that as far as you are concerned Disney can do no wrong.

Yet Unversal was able to hire professional security who both looked and acted professional in the same timeframe. Hmmm speaks volumes about the management of the respective companies.

I am curious. Do you remember who and by chance which page?

s8film40

You've been known to flat out lie about things on this board so why should anyone believe your tale? It's likely a gross exaggeration like everything else you say.
I think more importantly than believing this exact scenario is wether those of us who have dealt with them find it plausible. After spending a lot of time at HHN and dealing with the employees that this exact company has available in the area and send to the theme park events I would not be surprised at all at what was described. Having been in the situation of having to manage low wage employees in my case ones who actually went through traditions and training and having to still deal with scenarios like that it not only doesn't surprise me but I would absolutely expect it in this situation. So regardless of whether this scenario actually happened to me at least is irrelevant, if it didn't yet it will.

mimitchi33

At least they increased the age limit that you stop wearing costumes at. It used to be nine, but you can now wear them as a middle schooler.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Have you ever attended an event staffed by CSC? I have, every time I attend a college football game. The CSC employees hired to perform bag checks are young. And very bad at doing their job. Not talking about the CSC person scanning my ticket, but the just out of high school looking kid checking the bags of the 82,000 people attending a college football game on a Saturday afternoon.

Well great news... CSC aren't doing the bag checks! So again.. does any of this have to do with anything about whats going on at Disney? Most of those 'event staff' at college games are college students themselves. When you have to staff hundreds of people whose sole job is to stand there and make sure no one gets past you... you don't need to hire former federal agents.

So yes, I'm going to comment on the level of competency exhibited by those employees of CSC manning the metal detectors. And be concerned about their ability to effectively do the jobs they are getting paid for. Because me, as a guest of WDW , is helping to pay their salary. And they are there for my security and ease of mind. And if they are negatively interacting with guests, as someone observed, then Disney needs to rethink who they contracted with, pronto.

And who do you think is more concerned with getting what they paid for? Disney.. or you? And since this is happening on Disney's doorstep, do you think they are oblivious to
- what screening is being done
- by who
- and how the employees present themselves

So again... can anyone sit here and honestly say they think Disney is obviously to what is being presented to customers? If not, then it's on Disney to change it, or make it known they are ok with it.

If you hire a bum to be your doorman... who is at fault.. the bum or the guy who hired him and kept him there?

People are going on and on about how bad CSC is everywhere else... yet you don't hear them complaining about how they are at Disney for the most part.. and certainly not in ways that would be covert or a difference from what they were hired to do. If you don't like the security... the sole target to blame is Disney.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Does WDW have real police officers overseeing the security by CSC? At Disneyland, the Anaheim PD are also just inside the bag check station watching the situation.

overseeing CSC? Doubtful... but on duty there and providing other elements of security? Most definately. They've always had the local police stationed on property.. but now you will find a handful of police in open view, in uniform, at every park entrance and transportation area. There were also other people that were clearly plain clothes people hanging around as well.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Well great news... CSC aren't doing the bag checks! So again.. *** does any of this have to do with anything about whats going on at Disney? Most of those 'event staff' at college games are college students themselves. When you have to staff hundreds of people whose sole job is to stand there and make sure no one gets past you... you don't need to hire former federal agents.

And who do you think is more concerned with getting what they paid for? Disney.. or you? And since this is happening on Disney's doorstep, do you think they are oblivious to
- what screening is being done
- by who
- and how the employees present themselves

So again... can anyone sit here and honestly say they think Disney is obviously to what is being presented to customers? If not, then it's on Disney to change it, or make it known they are ok with it.

If you hire a bum to be your doorman... who is at fault.. the bum or the guy who hired him and kept him there?

People are going on and on about how bad CSC is everywhere else... yet you don't hear them complaining about how they are at Disney for the most part.. and certainly not in ways that would be covert or a difference from what they were hired to do. If you don't like the security... the sole target to blame is Disney.

So the contractor providing the service bears no responsibility if the employees they hire are unwilling or incapable of providing quality, professional service? Sorry, must disagree. And most of us are rightfully questioning the decision by Disney to hire CSC, given what we've seen from CSC employees in other situations.

I just looked at job boards to see the types of jobs CSC is hiring for and the qualifications. Most jobs are temporary, pay little more than minimum wage. Minimum qualifications is 21 and over, high school degree or GED and a clean criminal record. Nothing about prior experience in dealing with the public, especially in large venues, etc. Quiet frankly, if my company got the contract to provide part of the enhanced security measures at the most visited place on the planet, I'd want to tell my client they are getting the best. Not kids hired from an ad in the paper. And Disney should have made damn clear that they expected top notch employees provided that will interact with their guests. There have been plenty of discussions on this board regarding Disney's control of the behavior of their CMs.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I dislike that its not Disney security. CSC are horrible people who ruin the image.

Precisely what Photodave, Ford91exploder, I and others have been saying. CSC must be held accountable for the product - employees manning the metal detectors - they provide to the client.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So the contractor providing the service bears no responsibility if the employees they hire are unwilling or incapable of providing quality, professional service?

No I'm saying if you think this level of service is inadequate for a Disney park... The fault is on Disney for hiring and continuing to use said contractor. The product offering is Disney's standard to offer and enforce. If everything is as bad as you fear... And is clearly known by Disney... It's on Disney to do something about it.

Can I ask have you been to the parks with the new procedures yet? Or have anything of substance to point out where customers have been subjected to subpar experiences at the park gates under this new model yet?

Why do we think Disney is naive to csc' business and past work? Do people here really think they are exposing something Disney didn't already know before making this choice? So who is responsible for the outcome?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Precisely what Photodave, Ford91exploder, I and others have been saying. CSC must be held accountable for the product - employees manning the metal detectors - they provide to the client.

Held accountable by WHO? Oh yeah... The people that hired them and set the standard of the product to be delivered... Disney. Csc fulfills a requirement. The consequences come from Disney if csc doesn't deliver. And yet, no one can point out things done that Disney hasn't shown acceptance of.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Held accountable by WHO? Oh yeah... The people that hired them and set the standard of the product to be delivered... Disney. Csc fulfills a requirement. The consequences come from Disney if csc doesn't deliver. And yet, no one can point out things done that Disney hasn't shown acceptance of.

The people staffing the scanners are NOT Disney employees, they are employees of CSC, whose is responsible for how their employees conduct themselves on the job. Disney doesn't pay the individuals salary and benefits, CSC does. If a CSC employee does something inappropriate, it will be CSC who is liable, not Disney. I will be there in three weeks. I will certainly let you know if I witness any issues with the individuals staffing those scanners

LAKid53

Premium Member
No I'm saying if you think this level of service is inadequate for a Disney park... The fault is on Disney for hiring and continuing to use said contractor. The product offering is Disney's standard to offer and enforce. If everything is as bad as you fear... And is clearly known by Disney... It's on Disney to do something about it.

Can I ask have you been to the parks with the new procedures yet? Or have anything of substance to point out where customers have been subjected to subpar experiences at the park gates under this new model yet?

Why do we think Disney is naive to csc' business and past work? Do people here really think they are exposing something Disney didn't already know before making this choice? So who is responsible for the outcome?

No, I think Disney needed a quick fix and since CSC provides services nationwide, they took them. Go to CSC's website. They have a long list of institutions they provide services to. But I also looked them up through the BBB and there have been complaints And litigation.

I would have taken some of my best security staff members, provided the training necessary for operating a metal detector and have gone with that. You have staff then who are familiar with your operations, have an existing relationship with local law enforcement, and since they ARE your employees, you have complete control and accountability. Why Disney didn't do this, who knows.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The people staffing the scanners are NOT Disney employees, they are employees of CSC, whose is responsible for how their employees conduct themselves on the job. Disney doesn't pay the individuals salary and benefits, CSC does. If a CSC employee does something inappropriate, it will be CSC who is liable, not Disney. I will be there in three weeks. I will certainly let you know if I witness any issues with the individuals staffing those scanners

As I've been there, you can be assured I know who was manning the gates and secondary screening. And you seem to forget that contractors perform jobs based on what they are hired to do. Disney would be named in any suit because they contractor is doing the job on disneys behalf to their standards.

But as we've now established- your more upset about csc - than for Disney choosing them and what that means.

I'm sure a month from now your biggest issue with them will be their ugly out of place uniforms...

Who knows, by then Disney may have staffed up to do it all themselves

Ben_since_1971

FWIW - I just returned yesterday from an 11 night stay. I was there just before and just after the metal detector announcement. I may be rehashing some of what was already said, but if you want to read what another pair of eyes saw....

• Immediately noticed increased security even before any announcement. Increase in Disney security, and always saw an OC car at every bus drop off area. Deduced Paris + Holiday season = increased visible presence to make sure they were 'seen'.
  • If anything, security INCREASED after the announcements. Didn't see them pulling too many people out of line, although walking into AK through the 'without bags' entrance a gentleman who must have been just a few feet behind me was asked aside.
  • No discernible increase of security at resort entrances. Nothing additional (beyond the usual MB scan and/or license check), although occasionally I would see extra Disney security at the entrance booth. Could have been coincidence.
  • Tuesday morning, 7 AM driving to MK toll booth (golfing at Palm), saw 3 OC cruisers spaced out in the median from about 3/4 mile out, lights going. Was really starting to wonder if something was afoot and Disney wanted anyone to know they knew or if they were just being reeeaaallllly cautious.
  • As to the CSC folks, I do know them from event screening, and have not seen any prior negative instances at other places. That said, I did wonder why they were using them and not their own people (unless they do not have metal detector training). I also did take note that the people manning the detectors were young people but they seemed to be acting pretty professional to me.

s8film40

Even if what your saying were true, which it can be to a certain extent it's irrelevant. In a legal sense if an incident arises the situation would have to be looked at and decided whether Disney had any involvement. I know from my experience that Disney is typically very involved with how their subcontracted employees operate. Many take traditions and various other Disney training courses, they work very closely with and often take directions from other Disney employees. More importantly though if something does happen there most certainly will be a lawsuit filed against Disney, whether it has good legal standing really doesn't matter as the PR is the real issue. If you notice the news story from the University of Houston, they refer to CSC but make it well known it was a U of H event, and the person apologizing is the University representative not a CSC representative.

JoeCamel

FWIW - I just returned yesterday from an 11 night stay. I was there just before and just after the metal detector announcement. I may be rehashing some of what was already said, but if you want to read what another pair of eyes saw....

• Immediately noticed increased security even before any announcement. Increase in Disney security, and always saw an OC car at every bus drop off area. Deduced Paris + Holiday season = increased visible presence to make sure they were 'seen'.
  • If anything, security INCREASED after the announcements. Didn't see them pulling too many people out of line, although walking into AK through the 'without bags' entrance a gentleman who must have been just a few feet behind me was asked aside.
  • No discernible increase of security at resort entrances. Nothing additional (beyond the usual MB scan and/or license check), although occasionally I would see extra Disney security at the entrance booth. Could have been coincidence.
  • Tuesday morning, 7 AM driving to MK toll booth (golfing at Palm), saw 3 OC cruisers spaced out in the median from about 3/4 mile out, lights going. Was really starting to wonder if something was afoot and Disney wanted anyone to know they knew or if they were just being reeeaaallllly cautious.
  • As to the CSC folks, I do know them from event screening, and have not seen any prior negative instances at other places. That said, I did wonder why they were using them and not their own people (unless they do not have metal detector training). I also did take note that the people manning the detectors were young people but they seemed to be acting pretty professional to me.

Normal to have squads in the median, it keeps WD from turning into a race track during busy times and they just might catch a couple of CMs speeding to get to work on time

s8film40

Normal to have squads in the median, it keeps WD from turning into a race track during busy times and they just might catch a couple of CMs speeding to get to work on time
Yes agreed, other than the metal detectors I haven't heard anything mentioned that wasn't already present. It's interesting however as people seem to be noticing what was already there as if it's something new. It's funny how we sometimes notice things only when we're thinking of them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom