News New security measures

Castle Cake Apologist

Not sure if it's been mentioned within the 59 pages of crazy in here, BUT it seems that they are sweeping the MK ferries with K-9 units before departure and there is also very visible security in front of American Adventure at Epcot. Crazy world we live in.

s8film40

Not sure if it's been mentioned within the 59 pages of crazy in here, BUT it seems that they are sweeping the MK ferries with K-9 units before departure and there is also very visible security in front of American Adventure at Epcot. Crazy world we live in.
Yeah it's been mentioned and it's not new they've been sweeping the transportation and parks with the dogs for many many years.

yepitsandy

Can you tell us exactly what it is about WDW that makes you feel so unsafe as to feel these measures are needed and/or appropriate? What violence you have witnessed or been a victim of? Or is it just general fear of public spaces?

No, I walk outside every day and work in a retail store. I have been robbed at gunpoint years ago, which does still haunt me on occasion. I didn't immediately go to an anti-gun rally or quit working in public places because of it. I'm okay with people - responsible people - having guns. I'm not one of those "TAKE ALL THEIR GUNS!" people, though I'm sure their could be slightly better gun control. Which is not what this is about. It's not a big thing where I think terrorists are plotting to blow up Cinderella Castle by putting a bomb on Tinkerbell.

Not once there in what you quoted did I say anything at Disney scares me (well, Tower of Terror scares me). I feel very safe in Disney and will be there again in July, checkpoints or bomb sniffing dogs or not. I've been many times and never felt at risk. I feel no more at risk today than I did a year and a half ago when we went for our honeymoon or the dozens of times I went before then.

That said, Disney feels there is a reason to do it. They have reasons I don't know of, but if they think it's good, I'm fine with it. Maybe I have gotten used to 2015 America where I have to walk through security checks at other places. Metal detectors don't bother me anymore. If I have to go through one more to head towards the Haunted Mansion, it is what it is. Maybe it should, but it's just kind of a shrug at this point. Disney wants 'em, so be it. At least have a decent security team working them.

Castle Cake Apologist

Yeah it's been mentioned and it's not new they've been sweeping the transportation and parks with the dogs for many many years.

I've never seen them sweep the ferries before every departure. I live here and have worked full time and seasonally off and on since 2007, that is definitely not something that has been going on for "many, many years."

Last edited:

Phroobar

That's scary
What's so scary? Security has been doing things like that in the parks for years. Your just more aware of it now. Besides, your more likely to be pick pocketed or a victim of identity thief than anything else.

Believe it or not, we live in the most peaceful time the human species has ever lived in. A person's chances of dying by homicide is far lower than even hundred years ago yet the media wants to believe we are going die tomorrow. How many times this year has there been a dooms day prophesy or a giant rock that is suppose to wipe us out, yet we are still here.

I guess we are just suppose to lock ourselves in our homes and order stuff from Amazon.

s8film40

I've never seen them sweep the ferries before every departure. I live here and work seasonally, that is definitely not something that has been going on for "many, many years."
They may have just been focusing on the ferry boats at that time. How long did you watch them? If they show up to sweep each of the boats they typically will sweep each boat and then move on so it could appear as if they are sweeping the boats before every departure but they could be just hitting each boat. I've watched them do the same thing with the monorails as well. They go up on the platform and sweep each train on both beams and then move on, to someone just passing though it would appear as though they are sweeping trains, boats, buses, etc. continuously but it's actually just to catch each one before they move onto the next area.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
No, I walk outside every day and work in a retail store. I have been robbed at gunpoint years ago, which does still haunt me on occasion. I didn't immediately go to an anti-gun rally or quit working in public places because of it. I'm okay with people - responsible people - having guns. I'm not one of those "TAKE ALL THEIR GUNS!" people, though I'm sure their could be slightly better gun control. Which is not what this is about. It's not a big thing where I think terrorists are plotting to blow up Cinderella Castle by putting a bomb on Tinkerbell.

Not once there in what you quoted did I say anything at Disney scares me (well, Tower of Terror scares me). I feel very safe in Disney and will be there again in July, checkpoints or bomb sniffing dogs or not. I've been many times and never felt at risk. I feel no more at risk today than I did a year and a half ago when we went for our honeymoon or the dozens of times I went before then.

That said, Disney feels there is a reason to do it. They have reasons I don't know of, but if they think it's good, I'm fine with it. Maybe I have gotten used to 2015 America where I have to walk through security checks at other places. Metal detectors don't bother me anymore. If I have to go through one more to head towards the Haunted Mansion, it is what it is. Maybe it should, but it's just kind of a shrug at this point. Disney wants 'em, so be it. At least have a decent security team working them.

I had a gun stuck in my face and dragged out of bed when three armed men broke into our home when I was 14. It's funny, I didn't feel uneasy after that, unless I was home alone at night at my parent's house. And I lived by myself throughout college and into my 30s. But until both my parents passed away and we sold their house, I felt a little uneasy at night if they went out. And they had moved twice, once across the country, since that night when I was 14.

glvsav37

Exactly - if they truly believe someone is doing something wrong, leave it up to law enforcement - not a bunch of (no pun intended) Mickey Mouse cops.

In general, the more I read about what is going on, the more I just want to shout - WHAT are folks so AFRAID of? Has anyone died of a violent act at WDW? Cripes, that's actually surprising that we don't have even some major domestic violence incident in the parks to point to.

The parks are closed systems. Anyone that goes in with the intention of doing something catastrophic isn't coming out of that park. They know it. And as we know, if someone is willing to trade their life for something, there isn't really tinkers darn we can do about it anyway - and pulling out random families for searches and all this garbage just for the privilege of overpaying for admission and going into a theme park for a day is just the height of ridiculous and and a stellar example of misplaced effort.

Those "Mickey mouse" cops are are very well managed and are very serious about the security of that property. I won't get into all it, but take it from experience when I was a CM, I got wrongly accused of something and got pulled out of work and into WDW Investigations and questioned by a bunch of former, very high ranking law enforcement. Thankfully, it was a case of mistaken identity and I was cleared. And I can assure you that the high level of attention I received would be pretty laughable given the actual issue they were investigating.

Therefore, I actually feel very secure about being in those parks. There is more security there than you can imagine.

That said, it is still a very, very big target. It is as big as an American Icon as you can get and there are countless people there every day. If i was a radical looking to make a dent in the American psyche, I'm sure it would be on my list to at least consider.

Now will that stop me from going? no, just booked our next trip this week. I think the percentages are too low for myself to be affected personally, but that's not to diminish the reality that it could happen at some point. About the same mindset that no one thought that an event could happen like 9/11 before it happened. But that hasn't stopped me from going into a building ever again.

I agree with you that its very difficult to stop someone intent on doing it by random screening, but if the detectors give someone pause and not doing something catastrophic then it was successful.

I dont really have an issue with it. I wish it could be a little less obvious, like something that would detect larger sized metals inside the security awnings or ticket gates that we all go through anyway. Maybe they are moving toward that and this was just a way of quickly showing the world that they were taking notice and everyone should feel secure.

Thelazer

"Those "Mickey mouse" cops are are very well managed and are very serious about the security of that property. I won't get into all it, but take it from experience when I was a CM, I got wrongly accused of something and got pulled out of work and into WDW Investigations and questioned by a bunch of former, very high ranking law enforcement. Thankfully, it was a case of mistaken identity and I was cleared. And I can assure you that the high level of attention I received would be pretty laughable given the actual issue they were investigating."

You do know they treat employee Investigations and "tourists" in VERY DIFFERENT ways..

Employee's = Guilty Till Proven Innocent (god help you with the union bs.....)
(which is why it IS laughable that they spent so much time and effort on you, the guilty (till proven otherwise) CM.)

Let me tell you, point blank.

I've been all over those parks, in many roles and in many backstage areas... both as a CM and as a normal tourist.
I've seen and met some of those "under-covers" people speak about.
I've been on roof tops were those "Snipers" would be stationed, ( that some internet sites rumor about... yes really!)
I've gone thru the bag checks, the scanners, and the wands.
I've known the managers of the hotels and heard the story's from security.

The real cold truth..... LAUGHABLE!

If something does go down in the parks, you'd better hope there is a citizen (perhaps even a CM) who decided to break the no guns on private property rule that day and is concealed carrying, because that's about the only help your going to get for the first 20 mins of whatever situation unfolds.

As far as things going down on property, you can bet it's happened, so far it's just been managed enough that it could be covered up..... but at some point, that won't be possible anymore.

Thelazer

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is still the same. I haven't been through one of those in a while but from everything I've heard I have no reason to think it's changed.

Yea it's STILL just as much as a joke as it ever was.

A glance, maybe.. if your lucky.... lets talk about how many trucks / buses go in / out thru those backstage gates and what amount of "checking" those things get.... ie, next to nothing...

Lets talk about the other areas on property, that are NOT theme-parks (hotels, shops, restaurants) and how little (read, NONE) bag checks go on there...

Better yet, lets just not talk about that.. cause, the truth isn't so nice.

lazyboy97o

I agree with you that its very difficult to stop someone intent on doing it by random screening, but if the detectors give someone pause and not doing something catastrophic then it was successful.
These checks don't give anyone pause. They are known, established and a minor inconvenience to circumvent.

PhotoDave219

That's nothing new. It's happened for many years now....

PhotoDave219

Yea it's STILL just as much as a joke as it ever was.

A glance, maybe.. if your lucky.... lets talk about how many trucks / buses go in / out thru those backstage gates and what amount of "checking" those things get.... ie, next to nothing...

Lets talk about the other areas on property, that are NOT theme-parks (hotels, shops, restaurants) and how little (read, NONE) bag checks go on there...

Better yet, lets just not talk about that.. cause, the truth isn't so nice.

You mean like when they took out the security booths by Campground and by Westclock in 2004? And that anyone can drive a car backstage without being checked?

Edit- by backstage I mean behind MK service areas, not actually within the backstage areas of one of the actual parks.

BringMeTheHoriz

You mean like when they took out the security booths by Campground and by Westclock in 2004? And that anyone can drive a car backstage without being checked?

Edit- by backstage I mean behind MK service areas, not actually within the backstage areas of one of the actual parks.

Yes, anybody can drive around back there, but that doesn't mean they can physically drive into MK from back there. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there's a couple of metal wedge barriers back on the actual driveway into the backstage area behind Fantasy Land that are capable of doing...well...this

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I see assault and battery several times. So hired thugs more or less. I can say they would have an issue after touching me. Namely broken bones and missing teeth. The I would sue them, Disney, and anyone else I could think of. Find out the Exec team in charge of security is and sue each one personally. The sue each person that laid hand on me. Hit them in the wallet.

The CSC thugs are 'Day Labor' they don't HAVE any money. Don't worry though the CSC goons will pull a stunt like this at WDW soon enough and the ensuing lawsuit will be EPIC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom