News New security measures

I'm very curious to see how Disney implements these. I have mixed feelings as a lot of people seem to, but I'm definitely bummed about the Disney bubble being popped. Metal detectors and myself do not a good match make (I have rods and screws in my back) and I never know if I'm going to set them off and be searched. I wonder if I could get a card or something so I don't have to be pulled out every time :(

COProgressFan

No not at all. They're actually very easy to spot. Most people just aren't looking for them. I see them every time I'm there.

Same here. If you've ever spent more than a couple minutes in front of one the entrance gates (waiting for the rest of your party, etc.), you can often spot the plainclothes security. Their big giveaway is not usually their touristy clothing, but usually their interactions with other security CMs which often blow their cover.

Texas84

Those contractors are going to randomly pick people to go through the detectors? I think I'll get some popcorn and go watch.

On another note, did you know air travelers are randomly picked to go through the TSA Pre-Check line? Hmmm...

s8film40

Once I saw a man straight up choke his wife in front of his kids right outside Pirates of the Caribbean. Security was called, and it took them 20+ minutes to arrive on scene. The security officer was an overweight woman who ran all the way from New Fantasyland (Mickey's Toontown at the time)...the family had stormed off within five minutes of the incident. Not sure what happened from that point. It was pretty sad. I'm sure he went to jail, at least I hope so.
This is really the biggest flaw in Disney's current security set up. Everything is focused up from for these type of "show" reasons that if something ever happens in the back of the park the response would be embarrassingly slow. This is why I believe these type of extra security measures are probably doing more harm than good, but the common guests feels safer and apparently that's more important.

This is really the biggest flaw in Disney's current security set up. Everything is focused up from for these type of "show" reasons that if something ever happens in the back of the park the response would be embarrassingly slow. This is why I believe these type of extra security measures are probably doing more harm than good, but the common guests feels safer and apparently that's more important.

That is not true, at least not anymore. This incident was quite a while ago and I can assure you that Frontierland/Adventureland have security measures in place to tackle most issues swiftly.

bhg469

Is it a myth that Disney has security personnel in civillian clothes roaming the park consistently? I never found our during my time there.
They are definitely there. If you can't spot them, thats a good thing.. All of my clients use plain clothed security, some do it well and some do not. The ones who do not wear form fitting 5.11 polo shirts and kakhi pants with black boots, are doing it right.

thomas998

Anyone claiming discrimination would have to prove that there was a disproportionate screening of certain groups versus others. As long as they are screening randomly and screening enough people, that will be impossible to prove.
You are talking about what it would take to win a case in the courts... the reality is this will be a PR nightmare because the news media won't do anything beyond accept that Disney was profiling and go with the story from there.

SandraAnn

You are talking about what it would take to win a case in the courts... the reality is this will be a PR nightmare because the news media won't do anything beyond accept that Disney was profiling and go with the story from there.

Disney institutes randomized screening because people are gunning each other down in crowded places? How is this a bad PR story for Disney? I'm not disagreeing that there could be complaints, I just don't see the PR risk. Are civil rights groups going to take this one up? And will anyone care? Doubt it.

Jahona

The ones who do not wear form fitting 5.11 polo shirts and kakhi pants with black boots

That's what I wear every day to Disney. Those polos are moisture wicking and are great in the Florida heat. Boots are just practical.

In all seriousness plain clothes security are in use at WDW.

bhg469

That's what I wear every day to Disney. Those polos are moister wicking and are great in the Florida heat. Boots are just practical.

In all seriousness plain clothes security are in use at WDW.
I agree with you on the shirts, but the boots?Sneakers, low top trail runners, breathable hikers all day long.

s8film40

That is not true, at least not anymore. This incident was quite a while ago and I can assure you that Frontierland/Adventureland have security measures in place to tackle most issues swiftly.
Well unless your talking about a very recent change I haven't seen any indication of this. There was the recent issue at Test Track that seems to prove a slow response time, I think this is also the reason they weren't able to catch the guy that climbed the Mexico pyramid.

thomas998

Disney institutes randomized screening because people are gunning each other down in crowded places? How is this a bad PR story for Disney? I'm not disagreeing that there could be complaints, I just don't see the PR risk. Are civil rights groups going to take this one up? And will anyone care? Doubt it.
You've no doubt seen the news stories where muslims are complaining about being treated unfairly on airplanes right? And this was after a group of muslim terrorists crashed into the twin towers, yet it still got the media on the side of the muslims because of islamaphobe or profiling or whatever the word of the week is... Common sense doesn't play into it because common sense doesn't sell news you need a villain to sell the news and who better to play the part than Disney.

matt9112

Disney institutes randomized screening because people are gunning each other down in crowded places? How is this a bad PR story for Disney? I'm not disagreeing that there could be complaints, I just don't see the PR risk. Is CAIR going to take this one up? Doubt it.

Randomized screening would have nothing to do with people "gunning down" others...
I agree with you on the shirts, but the boots?Sneakers, low top trail runners, breathable hikers all day long.

Boots are great....can go into any climate stay dry move quickly and are more robust with climbing and kicking if need be.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The security officer was an overweight woman who ran all the way from New Fantasyland (Mickey's Toontown at the time)...the family had stormed off within five minutes of the incident.
You saw her come from ToonTown from Caribbean Plaza?

Conversely I saw a heated argument start at WEDway load. Within minutes four or five plain clothed males were pulling the parties apart. Said parties were walked down the speedramp with a calm "park security sir" reply from any protests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom