News New security measures

wdwgreek

I got chewed up on Facebook for posting the letter I posted here. I was told that I obviously don't love my family, that safety is worth the inconvenience, and I am the type of person to blame when a tragedy happens. :/

matt9112

I got chewed up on Facebook for posting the letter I posted here. I was told that I obviously don't love my family, that safety is worth the inconvenience, and I am the type of person to blame when a tragedy happens. :/

You are not alone.....there's just a vast portion of the population that's perfectly okay with selling freedom for safety....a perfect retort would be that don't worry glock knows Iover my family ;)

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Those contractors are going to randomly pick people to go through the detectors? I think I'll get some popcorn and go watch.

On another note, did you know air travelers are randomly picked to go through the TSA Pre-Check line? Hmmm...

The TSA recently put a stop to that, not because it was randomly dumb, but because those who paid for the privilege of going thru Pre-Check were annoyed that people were getting it for free.

I found out yesterday, though, that even those who pay for Pre-Check are subject to randomly not getting cleared for it and having to go through regular security. Because, just in case. ;)

EmilyFrances

I think it's funny that they are discontinuing the sale of plastic guns but light sabers are fine. We were just there and there were kids everywhere swinging them around. I guess promoting the new Star Wars film makes it ok. As far as the new security measures, there is going to be a bottle up of people, even more so now, which would give a determined terrorist ample opportunity. Sadly, this won't solve anything. As many have already said, bad guys aren't going to walk through a security check point.

KrazyKat

Well, here's the way I look at it. Whether we like this or not, Disney IS doing it. If you have nothing to hide, then don't worry about it and just enjoy your day at WDW.

and I don't trust the gov't-my personal opinion.

Kamikaze

I think it's funny that they are discontinuing the sale of plastic guns but light sabers are fine. We were just there and there were kids everywhere swinging them around. I guess promoting the new Star Wars film makes it ok. As far as the new security measures, there is going to be a bottle up of people, even more so now, which would give a determined terrorist ample opportunity. Sadly, this won't solve anything. As many have already said, bad guys aren't going to walk through a security check point.

Well, they don't make real lightsabers. So you can't confuse them with a real weapon.

You saw her come from ToonTown from Caribbean Plaza?

Conversely I saw a heated argument start at WEDway load. Within minutes four or five plain clothed males were pulling the parties apart. Said parties were walked down the speedramp with a calm "park security sir" reply from any protests.

This has been my experience as well. I've witnessed two altercations, one on POTC that involved guests in the boat behind us screaming, standing up, splashing water at people on their boat, and just generally acting crazy. When we got off our boat we told the CM who was doing load out and he said it was already being handled. Sure enough the second their boat pulled up 4 men came and ushered them away. The second was a heated argument on the line at HM about line cutting. Security had broken it up by the time voices were raised.

I'm sure there are instances where it just doesn't happen that smoothly, but I was impressed.

FullSailDan

With all the lines security causes, why wouldn't someone attack the entry area before the detectors? They're alraefy as densely packed as main street every morning.

I used to admire that Disney didn't do the stupid empty-the-pockets routine of our local Six Flags. So much for the illusion of fantasy.

This is exactly why they aren't screening everyone, and doing the appearance of random searches. If they slow it down too much, it becomes it's own target.

FullSailDan

Like I said in my original post. Disney hasnt implemented this very well at all. It's a good idea, bad execution.
I think Disney is reluctant to add them at all. Security has always been taken seriously, but mostly transparent to guests. I can assure you that there are plenty of less visible things being deployed too. I've been on teams that deployed measures at federal buildings and from the outside you're just seeing turnstiles and metal detectors. Internal security had facial recognition, complex algorithms monitoring video feeds for erratic behavior, plain clothes officers monitoring things on the ground, etc. I know that Disney used to receive regular communication and updates from national security intel teams. I assume that has not changed since I left DC.

Disney isn't fooled into thinking a few metal detectors is the answer, it's one tool to help minimize the risk. 100% scanning is not the goal. The very thought of scanning, causes potential threats to assess what other options they have and if the risk of detection is still worth it.

draybook

A couple thoughts:

1. We don't know why these measures have been taken. For all the people criticizing you have no context as to why the decision was made. This could be an overreaction or it could in response to specific threat. If all the major theme parks are doing this at the same time and implementing it very quickly then I would wager a guess that there is a lot more to it than we know. Perhaps we should get all the facts before complaining that it will take a few more minutes to get into the parks.

2. The online tough guys and those critical of this new policy do not have to take any ownership if something does occur. You all can hide in the corner of your online anonymity while Disney takes all the criticism for not doing enough and yes it would hurt their bottom line if an act of violence occurred inside a park. It’s easy to throw rocks from afar when you have no idea why the decision was made or bear no responsibility for your opinion. These were likely tough decisions and things like customer frustration were weighed against customer safety. Obviously Disney and Universal decided the extra expense and complaints they will receive was worth it. If your job and conscience were at stake and the decisions you made directly affected the security of thousands of people every day, then your tune may change.

3. In all certainty this is one of several new security measures and most of them will be unseen by the public.

4. Obviously this and anything else done would not stop everyone. That doesn’t mean steps shouldn’t be taken to make it harder to commit an act.

Number 2 really tickled me. Let's get something straight. I'm much more than an Internet tough guy, but that has nothing to do with me thinking this is ridiculous. I see people saying "good, I was wondering when they were going to do something like this". Oh really, were you wondering it while you risked certain death and danger and entered the parks pre scanners?

Honestly, the scanners don't bother me as much as the possibility of me and my kids not getting to dress up for some MNSSHP fun. If that's the case then you can scratch off at least 12 tickets to the event each year. True, they won't miss our 6-10k we spend there a year, but at least I'll have the cajones to put my foot down about it. Sorry, that's just the "tough guy" in me coming out..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom