News New security measures

PhotoDave219

I don't see any evidence of that (beyond the Patriot Act, which is not what we're talking about here.) I see metal detectors at a crowded place as a precautionary measure. It's not any less "American" at WDW than it is at the airport, the courthouses, the ballparks...

Paranoia is all the people buying guns because they've talked themselves into a tizzy because an imaginary somebody is going to take their hunting rifles away, which is only happening in their minds.

Disney is in touch with FBI/CIA and other government agencies in regards to daily Threat assessments…

I don't feel this is necessary

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Try a mass shooting with a hunting rifle. You know what that will be? A single shooting.

I can reload a bolt action rifle in under 10 seconds as can most hunters and target shooters, It's not like loading a musket.

Mossberg 500 - between 5-12 rounds in a tube magazine even birdshot at close range does a lot of damage,

Tony the Tigger

Disney is in touch with FBI/CIA and other government agencies in regards to daily Threat assessments…

I don't feel this is necessary

Somebody who apparently matters does. It's no coincidence that it came up at WDW, Uni and SW at the same time. Considering you're not privy to all the info, with all due respect, I'll take the opinion of whomever is erring on the side of caution here. Whether it's "necessary" or not seems irrelevant to me. It's potentially helpful, and minimally inconveniencing.

What some people with guns don't get is that they are the "bad guy with a gun" to those of us who just want to have a nice Disney vacation, regardless of their intentions. What was the intention of the guy from last week? Do we even know yet? Did he tell the authorities that more people are going to try to flaunt their right to carry by waltzing through WDW with guns? I don't know. So I'm willing to accept that other people closer to the situation know more than I. What do they have to gain by putting up metal detectors for no reason?

And if the wacko from last week got in without getting noticed, and even just pulled out their gun and pointed it somewhere, the first thing a lot of people would ask is, "Why don't they have metal detectors? Can't WDW afford it? Don't they care? Are they negligent? And probably most importantly, can we sue them?"

note2001

Somebody who apparently matters does. It's no coincidence that it came up at WDW, Uni and SW at the same time. Considering you're not privy to all the info, with all due respect, I'll take the opinion of whomever is erring on the side of caution here. Whether it's "necessary" or not seems irrelevant to me. It's potentially helpful, and minimally inconveniencing.

What some people with guns don't get is that they are the "bad guy with a gun" to those of us who just want to have a nice Disney vacation, regardless of their intentions. What was the intention of the guy from last week? Do we even know yet? Did he tell the authorities that more people are going to try to flaunt their right to carry by waltzing through WDW with guns? I don't know. So I'm willing to accept that other people closer to the situation know more than I. What do they have to gain by putting up metal detectors for no reason?

And if the wacko from last week got in without getting noticed, and even just pulled out their gun and pointed it somewhere, the first thing a lot of people would ask is, "Why don't they have metal detectors? Can't WDW afford it? Don't they care? Are they negligent? And probably most importantly, can we sue them?"

I know too many police officers who are just paranoid and carry a gun at all times. I classify them as good people, however when it comes down to "do they feel safe" verses "is the public safe" they should know not to carry a weapon in a venue such as a theme park unless being paid to do so on a work detail.

I'm sure there are some lawyers and other professions that the paranoid effect has taken a toll on, and they feel the need to have a security blanket with them. Not saying it's right, but I can't call them bad guys.

righttrack

Take care of all of this stuff at the gate and do it well so we can be inside and worry-free. The main issue is gun-free zones are a target. They must be an armed presence outside. That is key.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
What some people with guns don't get is that they are the "bad guy with a gun" to those of us who just want to have a nice Disney vacation, regardless of their intentions.

I'd be interested to see what your opinion would be if a "bad" guy with a gun with intention of putting a bullet in your head was stopped by a "bad" guy that is concealed carrying in case such an event were to happen.

Have you ever considered that those of us that do carry consider those of that don't carry as the bad guy because you don't have enough concern for your own personal safety to do so?

Tony the Tigger

I'd be interested to see what your opinion would be if a "bad" guy with a gun with intention of putting a bullet in your head was stopped by a "bad" guy that is concealed carrying in case such an event were to happen.

Have you ever considered that those of us that do carry consider those of that don't carry as the bad guy because you don't have enough concern for your own personal safety to do so?

Oh, that fantasy again. Very likely. Happens all the time. What. Ev.

rucifee

What if they don't carry because they know they'll use it and would have to live with the outcome of what they have done? Neither are bad guys, people who want to carry carry, and people who don't want to carry, don't. People who question the choices of others, those are the bad people.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
They should have made these changes more discretely. The fact that this is now all over the media is probably not a good thing.
1. WDW and etc, become a bigger target.
2. Any TSA style screw ups on the part of Disney Security will become fodder for the media.
3. It may not be effective.
4. Even though it's a positive move by WDW, It's still negative PR.

lazyboy97o

they just need to ban the assault guns and weapons
Try a mass shooting with a hunting rifle. You know what that will be? A single shooting.
Very few instances of shootings invoke assault rifles. Being semiautomatic is not what makes an assault rifle. Assault rifles like those whose ban lapsed at the federal level were still illegal in California, the guns used in San Bernadino were purchased legally and were not assault rifles.

s8film40

I can reload a bolt action rifle in under 10 seconds as can most hunters and target shooters, It's not like loading a musket.

Mossberg 500 - between 5-12 rounds in a tube magazine even birdshot at close range does a lot of damage,
I don't remember what was used in the campus shooting at UT but I recall it went on for a very long time with the gunman continuously reloading.

s8film40

I know too many police officers who are just paranoid and carry a gun at all times. I classify them as good people, however when it comes down to "do they feel safe" verses "is the public safe" they should know not to carry a weapon in a venue such as a theme park unless being paid to do so on a work detail.

I'm sure there are some lawyers and other professions that the paranoid effect has taken a toll on, and they feel the need to have a security blanket with them. Not saying it's right, but I can't call them bad guys.
The Six Flags park where I grew up had a real interesting issue with this. The police officers were required to carry their gun at ALL TIMES. Six Flags told them they couldn't come in with guns this effectively banned police from the park wether on or off duty.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom