News New security measures

note2001

Local media is complaining about not being allowed near the entrances to report on this. :D
Thanks for the laugh. Those guys think they should be allowed everywhere with their cameras & mics. Can you imagine them interviewing one of those contracted scanner folk? I don't think Disney would be portrayed very well.

stretchsje

Is Disney's in-park undercover security armed? I've never read of a shot fired in a Disney park, ever, but I think it'd be reckless for there to not be at least some armed guards within the parks. First-responders to a shooting should be armed. It's why gun rights of ordinary citizens are so important as they are nearly always the first-responders when police start miles away. In the parks, I suspect the security force is never more than a hundred yards or so away, so they legitimately could be considered first-responders.

Frankly, I think the most vulnerable areas on Disney property are the monorails. Why would an opportunistic terrorist attack inside the park where there is a security presence when the monorails are more accessible and less escapable? The second most opportunistic targets would be a bag check, resort, restaurant, or store. The point being that everything is a potential target and it's not realistic to try and guarantee safety everywhere. This point is especially important at Disney World as their brand is predicated on leaving the problematic, everyday world behind and metal detectors utterly destroy that imagery.

The concept of a police state, paranoia, trading in civil liberties for the illusion of security from a far away threat? Sounds very Un-American to me...
Agreed.

Disneyhead'71

Let me say, I've ever carried a weapon at any park, Disney, uni, or six flags. I do carry one in the car. I don't live in the best neighbourhood, I work late at night in a seedy area, and I've been robbed on more than one occasion. Orlando isn't all sunshine and citrus smells outside the confines of the theme parks. And we stay with family in Apopka when not in grounds, so we are traveling through areas of the city I don't know, but some I've been warned about by said family (i.e. pine hills as one example). I'm trained in firearm saftey, operator deployment, and situation diffusion. I'm not a weekend commando. I don't "pull it out" at the first sign of an out of the ordinary situation. If you met me on the street you wouldn't know I was holstersed.
Its not about being tough, it's about protecting my wife and myself. I've been stabbed while being robbed, and I don't want it to happen again. I'm not tough, I'm aware.
I go into the worst parts of Orlando at 3:30am and get in people's faces. I don't own a firearm.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I'm beginning to think that maybe if we weren't trying to sanitize these images and actually show the raw carnage these things leave, maybe as a populous we'd take more action....
I agree. The media never shows the carnage that drinking and driving, texting and driving and ******* and driving cause.

Tony the Tigger

Let me say, I've ever carried a weapon at any park, Disney, uni, or six flags. I do carry one in the car. I don't live in the best neighbourhood, I work late at night in a seedy area, and I've been robbed on more than one occasion. Orlando isn't all sunshine and citrus smells outside the confines of the theme parks. And we stay with family in Apopka when not in grounds, so we are traveling through areas of the city I don't know, but some I've been warned about by said family (i.e. pine hills as one example). I'm trained in firearm saftey, operator deployment, and situation diffusion. I'm not a weekend commando. I don't "pull it out" at the first sign of an out of the ordinary situation. If you met me on the street you wouldn't know I was holstersed.
Its not about being tough, it's about protecting my wife and myself. I've been stabbed while being robbed, and I don't want it to happen again. I'm not tough, I'm aware.

You didn't owe me any explanation, but I appreciate it.

I've been all over the area, and I know it is definitely shady in spots. My work used to take me to a lot of pawn shops, which are often not in the best parts of town.

Apologies for taking you for a "weekend commando." A lot of people are spouting off about this lately who don't know what they're talking about or think they're always going to win if we end up in a "Wild West" scenario where the average person is carrying. Or they just substitute it for some form of being macho or whatever.

The average person is not smart, IMO. I don't trust them with guns all over the place. Having a gun doesn't make someone a good guy or a bad guy, or trustworthy, reliable, a hero, a cop, or a judge/jury/executioner.

If there's a country I don't want to live in, it's where more people on the street have guns, nevermind worrying about how "sad" it is to have metal detectors at WDW.

Tony the Tigger

The concept of a police state, paranoia, trading in civil liberties for the illusion of security from a far away threat? Sounds very Un-American to me...

I don't see any evidence of that (beyond the Patriot Act, which is not what we're talking about here.) I see metal detectors at a crowded place as a precautionary measure. It's not any less "American" at WDW than it is at the airport, the courthouses, the ballparks...

Paranoia is all the people buying guns because they've talked themselves into a tizzy because an imaginary somebody is going to take their hunting rifles away, which is only happening in their minds.

Tony the Tigger

As to the rise of mass shootings - has anyone ELSE noticed that these began when the State Psychiatric hospitals were closed, What's needed is 'Nut Control' not 'Gun Control'. Every freaking one of these 'mass shooters' everyone around them said was crazy and they all had 'manifestos' In the US we threw out the baby with the bathwater when we closed the state hospitals were some patients at some hospitals abused yes they were. But now we have NO PROVISION for those needing psychiatric care so we toss the mentally ill into ER's and Jails or they hurt people and are jailed but NOWHERE can they get the help they need.

When I was in high school during hunting season there were literally HUNDREDS of guns in the school parking lot. (and I was at a private day school) same thing at the local public schools. Yet there were no 'mass shootings' and the school taught Hunter Safety along with every other high school in the state.

Once again we demonize the tool for the bad choices of the tool user.

Try a mass shooting with a hunting rifle. You know what that will be? A single shooting.

Tony the Tigger

Is Disney's in-park undercover security armed? I've never read of a shot fired in a Disney park, ever, but I think it'd be reckless for there to not be at least some armed guards within the parks. First-responders to a shooting should be armed. It's why gun rights of ordinary citizens are so important as they are nearly always the first-responders when police start miles away. In the parks, I suspect the security force is never more than a hundred yards or so away, so they legitimately could be considered first-responders.

Frankly, I think the most vulnerable areas on Disney property are the monorails. Why would an opportunistic terrorist attack inside the park where there is a security presence when the monorails are more accessible and less escapable? The second most opportunistic targets would be a bag check, resort, restaurant, or store. The point being that everything is a potential target and it's not realistic to try and guarantee safety everywhere. This point is especially important at Disney World as their brand is predicated on leaving the problematic, everyday world behind and metal detectors utterly destroy that imagery.

Agreed.

They don't destroy the imagery more than an actual shooting, which could have happened just a few days ago.

I don't trust the good sense of my fellow citizens with guns. So if the metal detectors pick those up, without eliminating every imaginable threat, I'm happy with that.

Cmdr_Crimson

So... I guess you also are in favor of banning video games with guns, tv shows with gun violence, eliminating the guns in POTC, Star Tours, etc...? How far is too far in keeping our children in a fantasy bubble?

Like this.....The Speilberg Method
9684444_3b0c_625x1000.jpg

BringMeTheHoriz

So... I guess you also are in favor of banning video games with guns, tv shows with gun violence, eliminating the guns in POTC, Star Tours, etc...? How far is too far in keeping our children in a fantasy bubble?

Straw man argument. Take a step back and consider what happened at Sandy Hook. Then you have a bunch of kids running around with toy guns pretending to shoot each other at the Magic Kingdom. This isn't an MA rated video game, this isn't a Star Wars battle with lasers that don't exist, this isn't happening inside your own home. All I'm saying is think about the context: selling toy guns to kids in the Magic Kingdom. Think about what happened to the kids at Sandy Hook. It all seems a bit too insensitive to me, thats all.

maxime29

Premium Member
I'm hoping that there is more than just one detector as shown in the picture? I am going to guess they will be sending more than a "random sampling"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom