News New security measures

bhg469

The school system called about an hour ago to notify about a threat in the area. LMAO...All changes are due to outside influence. Someone doesn't wake up in the morning and say "you know, I think we'll put metal detectors in at Magic Kingdom tonight.". LOL
Outside influence meaning Disney would not do this if they weren't being strongly urged or threatened by some form of Government.

ToTBellHop

The mind numbingly stupid is the thought that a repeatedly shown ineffective measure will magically start working. These types of measures don't make things harder or stop any threats. It's not a matter of them reducing some, they don't prevent anything except anxiety in some.
It has been stated repeatedly here that the Federal Government asked theme park operators to do this. It's not a Disney decision and it is mostly meant to deter lone-wolf attacks, not coordinated terrorism. For some, the fear of getting caught is enough of a deterrent. The fact that some will still seek to harm does not mean we should do nothing to improve safety.

While I agree the execution is sloppy here, it is obviously a test. The bag checks were sloppy back when they first arrived before the permanent structures appeared. If this test works, they will keep it and make it more park-appropriate. For now, most of us will just deal with seeing scanners that we don't have to walk through.

There is presently TREMENDOUS concern over some sort of attack occurring over the holidays. Just this past weekend when I was in NYC I noticed a MARKED increase in security at Grand Central Terminal and on the streets. More than I've ever seen in the City. All heavily-visited areas are receiving requests to increase security.

rucifee

Outside influence meaning Disney would not do this if they weren't being strongly urged or threatened by some form of Government.

That, or they were given credible information that justified the action. I think it's security theater personally, but that doesn't mean they don't have information that justifies the action because they have information that we don't. Assuming the government is twisting their arm doesn't mean they are.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The purpose of terrorism and these type of attacks is to scare people and gain attention. The media is really doing more harm than anything by covering this stuff non stop. What's mind numbingly stupid is giving in to this and putting ourselves through this type of hassle. This is exactly what these people want. If they're going to do something and any of this is actually effective they will simply redirect it somewhere else like a resort or Disney Springs. The suggestion that well it doesn't hurt and it might stop something is true, just like I could justify building a bomb shelter in my backyard. No one can argue that it won't hurt at all and could certainly help if something happened.

Honestly the only thing to really take away from this is that there apparently is a identified threat. We all know the security in place isn't going to stop anything, so if your worried just don't go to theme parks right now at all. That's really the safest approach.

No. Terrorists don't want metal detectors. They want dead Americans. Period. End of story. We aren't giving in, we are trying to do something, anything, to become fractionally safer.

rucifee

No. Terrorists don't want metal detectors. They want dead Americans. Period. End of story. We aren't giving in, we are trying to do something, anything, to become fractionally safer.

You know, if they wanted, they could just use their car to mow down the tram line. They don't need to get into a park to create terror. Adding a metal detector doesn't make anything fractionally safer, it just makes you feel fractionally safer because you can see it.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
You know, if they wanted, they could just use their car to mow down the tram line. They don't need to get into a park to create terror. Adding a metal detector doesn't make anything fractionally safer, it just makes you feel fractionally safer because you can see it.

Wrong. You are wrong. A metal detector won't protect you from a motor vehicle. No . But it might protect you from some animal bringing a weapon into a theme park. FRACTIONALLY safer. Not totally safe, not by a long shot.

rucifee

Wrong. You are wrong. A metal detector won't protect you from a motor vehicle. No ****. But it might protect you from some animal bringing a weapon into a theme park. FRACTIONALLY safer. Not totally safe, not by a long shot.

Unless that bad actor isn't randomly selected...

I would agree with you that they could help protect you if everyone went through it.

CarlFredricksen

Anyone that thinks this is stupid or ineffective is simply dumb.

You cannot reasonably argue the addition of a metal dector won't at least act as a deterrent, and reduce the chances of something catastrophic, intentional or accidental, happening inside the park.

If someone really wants to do some damage, they still can. Without a doubt. It's impossible to be 100% safe. But the increase in security AT A MINIMUM prevents a violent act of happening inside the park gates, where more innocent people are gathered and damage could be done.

In addition, how would you like to crowd into a boat on pirates and a "normal" person sitting next to you who has a concealed carry permit has snuck a gun in his jacket? Welp, they accidentally forgot to put the safety on. Oops. You crowded in, bumped into them and just got shot in the leg.

s8film40

We have to decide where we draw the line at security. There is always another fraction that you can go to. Personally I think this is a little too far. They are certainly not doing anything and everything they could do. They could require background checks, more thorough screening, vehicle inspections, etc. There is always a next step, the question is where do you draw the line. Apparently Disney decided to participate with this but drew that line at only doing random screenings. There's always more that could be done and always less that could be done, the key is finding the right balance. I think most feel this isn't the right balance. Where would you draw the line if you had to decide?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Unless that bad actor isn't randomly selected...

I would agree with you that they could help protect you if everyone went through it.

Dude. Fractionally ****ing safer. I know there's a million ways around a metal detector. You don't need to point them all out. But it's indisputable that it makes the parks fractionally safer.

wdwgreek

It has been stated repeatedly here that the Federal Government asked theme park operators to do this. It's not a Disney decision and it is mostly meant to deter lone-wolf attacks, not coordinated terrorism. For some, the fear of getting caught is enough of a deterrent. The fact that some will still seek to harm does not mean we should do nothing to improve safety.

While I agree the execution is sloppy here, it is obviously a test. The bag checks were sloppy back when they first arrived before the permanent structures appeared. If this test works, they will keep it and make it more park-appropriate. For now, most of us will just deal with seeing scanners that we don't have to walk through.

There is presently TREMENDOUS concern over some sort of attack occurring over the holidays. Just this past weekend when I was in NYC I noticed a MARKED increase in security at Grand Central Terminal and on the streets. More than I've ever seen in the City. All heavily-visited areas are receiving requests to increase security.
I see Broadway shows every few weeks and for the first time ever they asked me to check my bag in the coat check room! Never has that happened before, I also was sitting on the stage which may be way they don't want any clutter up on stage. View from the Bridge was amazing!

peter11435

I agree, they should have quietly heightened security. This can't be the first time this has ever happened in park history.

Shouting it for everyone to hear is asking for something to happen..

Disney has not shouted anything. Disney did not announce this. They quietly changed park rules over night and implimented enhanced security measures. It's people on here and the media that are shouting about it.

rucifee

Dude. Fractionally ****ing safer. I know there's a million ways around a metal detector. You don't need to point them all out. But it's indisputable that it makes the parks fractionally safer.

One single metal detector does not make anything safer, it's theater and nothing more. Avoiding the swear filter doesn't make it any more believable that it would or could. It's probably best that we agree to disagree on this. :)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
We have to decide where we draw the line at security. There is always another fraction that you can go to. Personally I think this is a little too far. They are certainly not doing anything and everything they could do. They could require background checks, more thorough screening, vehicle inspections, etc. There is always a next step, the question is where do you draw the line. Apparently Disney decided to participate with this but drew that line at only doing random screenings. There's always more that could be done and always less that could be done, the key is finding the right balance. I think most feel this isn't the right balance. Where would you draw the line if you had to decide?

For this day in age, in this political climate...At metal detectors. Quite frankly. Stop some bullied teen from thinking about bringing a gun to MSUSA for revenge because he thinks it might not work. That's enough incentive for me to walk through an archway.

You want my real thoughts on a solution, it has to go to PMs because politics is against forum rules.

PhilharMagician

Is your implication there that the metal detectors complete the other half of the job? I don't believe that to be the case for several reasons that others have stated. But, to summarize.

1. Not every guest will be put through the metal detectors.
2. The main entrance is not the only way into each park. Backstage is much more vulnerable, and that's how any real threat would enter.
3. Lots of things can kill you that don't register on a metal detector.
4. The cluster of people trying to get through security creates a perfect bottleneck for maximum body count.
5. Invisible security measures are far more effective than the ones you put right out in front for the bad guys to plan around.
6. The logistics of navigating to and from a Disney theme park are extremely convoluted, making it an undesirable target.

At no point did I mean the metal detectors alone would be the solution. Like you stated there are many other loop holes to the security.

My point is why only check some and not all? @PhotoDave219 just posted that currently guest selection is random @ DHS with the 3 detectors at that gate. Either put in a system to check all incoming guests and staff or why bother at all? The current bag check IMHO is a PITA. If we do carry in a backpack it can be insane waiting to get through on occasion for someone to check my water bottles, ponchos and spare shirt.

s8film40

Anyone that thinks this is stupid or ineffective is simply dumb.

You cannot reasonably argue the addition of a metal dector won't at least act as a deterrent, and reduce the chances of something catastrophic, intentional or accidental, happening inside the park.

If someone really wants to do some damage, they still can. Without a doubt. It's impossible to be 100% safe. But the increase in security AT A MINIMUM prevents a violent act of happening inside the park gates, where more innocent people are gathered and damage could be done.

In addition, how would you like to crowd into a boat on pirates and a "normal" person sitting next to you who has a concealed carry permit has snuck a gun in his jacket? Welp, they accidentally forgot to put the safety on. Oops. You crowded in, bumped into them and just got shot in the leg.
If I wanted to put myself in the mindset of a terrorist my thought is a PoC boat only has a few people. I would be HEAVILY armed get on a ferry boat and wait till it's in the middle of the lake. Knowing that no one on that boat is armed because they all know they are about to go through the bag check and metal detectors would make me more inclined to choose that target.

Rob562

The news has been saying that President Obama will be speaking to the press from the National Counterterrorism Center at any moment (was supposed to be 12:15 Eastern). It'll be interesting to see if it ties to any of these roll-outs at the various parks.

This morning I had to park briefly in a garage here at Logan airport and they made everyone pop the trunk to have a look inside. (Since 9/11 signs have always said all cars entering the airport could be searched, but this was the first time I've ever seen it actually happen)

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom