News New security measures

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I have had a concealed carry permit for 25 years and believe in my rights to carry a gun. I hope that a shooting never happens in any theme park!

Why even do the security bag checks and only check bags and let the other guests walk right in the park who could be concealing something easily in a jacket, cargo pockets or inside their clothing? Believe me when I say that I want to see metal detectors and pat downs happen, but why do half the job?
Is your implication there that the metal detectors complete the other half of the job? I don't believe that to be the case for several reasons that others have stated. But, to summarize.

1. Not every guest will be put through the metal detectors.
2. The main entrance is not the only way into each park. Backstage is much more vulnerable, and that's how any real threat would enter.
3. Lots of things can kill you that don't register on a metal detector.
4. The cluster of people trying to get through security creates a perfect bottleneck for maximum body count.
5. Invisible security measures are far more effective than the ones you put right out in front for the bad guys to plan around.
6. The logistics of navigating to and from a Disney theme park are extremely convoluted, making it an undesirable target.

s8film40

Disney's no fool. They know the ability to stop someone(s) intending upon doing harm to guests is near impossible, but they are also experts at playing with the human mind. The first step in preventing any sort of an attack is to stop the person(s) who are considering such an act from thinking they can actually get away with it.

That's what this is - a visual. If I were Disney though, I'd have a strong word with the screeners - even if this was taken before hours, the glazed look in their eyes shows lack of attention to their job.

This is not targeted at creating an illusion towards someone who is planning to do harm, it's targeted at people who are foolish enough to believe something like this will make you safer. Disney is no fool, but apparently they think their guests are.

Judging from those photos I actually think CSC sent some of their better more friendly looking employees. The type of people that company employs really have no business in any customer service area.

ABQ

I'm at the Hollywood studios now, they had 3 of the CSC event staff run metal detectors and I only saw one person selected to go through. That was around 9:15 this morning. Not sure how random selections may be being made, but not many obviously were. Heading to the VMCP tonight, be more interested in what's taking place there.

rucifee

All three theme park operators in Orlando agreed to implement increased security last night, at least temporarily. My partner and I both operate in the security arena, (I'm IT cyber warfare, he's intel threat analyst) and we both immediately felt there is more than just "something may happen someday" going on. There had to be a credible threat on the table for them to take this seriously. More than likely all three companies did EVERYTHING they could to keep talk of the threat out of the news because it would KILL visitor counts. Yes, security at the airports is theater, and yes there is a level of irrational anxiety that plays into the cycle. But, if we don't take basic steps, we have no one to blame but ourselves when something does go wrong.

I'm skeptical of a foreign terror plot at the parks, but I suppose it's possible. I would be more inclined based on recent trends to see crazies within the US attempting something.

It could be domestic just as easily, the majority of the mass shootings here in the states have been executed by US citizens.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Good idea. Bad execution.

There should be metal detectors at the parks. They should, however, be staffed by professionals.

"Well, these won't stop every type of threat, so why bother"

That attitude is the exact reason we are seeing mass shootings more days then we don't see them in this country.

"Why take any steps to make it harder to commit these crimes, it won't work for everything."

It's just mind numbingly stupid.

wdwgreek

I'm on the "this is security theater" "profiling" and "lip service to security" side of the argument here, but exactly which freedom is it that you will be losing by having to walk through a metal detector before entering a theme park?
I think there I was talking about a more general loss of freedom in society not necessarily , freedom of movement. Not obviously in a theme park

lazyboy97o

There should be metal detectors at the parks. They should, however, be staffed by professionals.

That attitude is the exact reason we are seeing mass shootings more days then we don't see them in this country.

"Why take any steps to make it harder to commit these crimes, it won't work for everything."

The mind numbingly stupid is the thought that a repeatedly shown ineffective measure will magically start working. These types of measures don't make things harder or stop any threats. It's not a matter of them reducing some, they don't prevent anything except anxiety in some.

rael ramone

Just got a Seeking Alpha alert.

According to a SA news editor, it is believed that Six Flags & Cedar Fun (Knotts, Cedar Point) will be doing this as well.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The mind numbingly stupid is the thought that a repeatedly shown ineffective measure will magically start working. These types of measures don't make things harder or stop any threats. It's not a matter of them reducing some, they don't prevent anything except anxiety in some.

My best friend is a PA cop. Works at a major NYC area airport. I promise you, metal detectors and scanners do work.

As for feelings of anxiety, my feelings of anxiety go down when I see security in place.

bhg469

It could be domestic just as easily, the majority of the mass shootings here in the states have been executed by US citizens.

And a huge majority of murders are in high crime areas but no one seems to put those on national news... These steps are not about the shooter with mental issues. These are about terrorists, the president is about to give a press conference about threats over the holidays. Its becoming more and more clear that the changes are because of outside influence.

s8film40

The purpose of terrorism and these type of attacks is to scare people and gain attention. The media is really doing more harm than anything by covering this stuff non stop. What's mind numbingly stupid is giving in to this and putting ourselves through this type of hassle. This is exactly what these people want. If they're going to do something and any of this is actually effective they will simply redirect it somewhere else like a resort or Disney Springs. The suggestion that well it doesn't hurt and it might stop something is true, just like I could justify building a bomb shelter in my backyard. No one can argue that it won't hurt at all and could certainly help if something happened.

Honestly the only thing to really take away from this is that there apparently is a identified threat. We all know the security in place isn't going to stop anything, so if your worried just don't go to theme parks right now at all. That's really the safest approach.

rucifee

And a huge majority of murders are in high crime areas but no one seems to put those on national news... These steps are not about the shooter with mental issues. These are about terrorists, the president is about to give a press conference about threats over the holidays. Its becoming more and more clear that the changes are because of outside influence.

The school system called about an hour ago to notify about a threat in the area. SMH...All changes are due to outside influence. Someone doesn't wake up in the morning and say "you know, I think we'll put metal detectors in at Magic Kingdom tonight."...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom