News New security measures

note2001

Seems to me there's a lot of confusion here regarding the levels and steps of security. Some are calling this a show for the peace of mind of the masses, and that real security would be more intense, others are stating that this is just too much. It has been ages since I had anything to do with Safety and Security, but the basics of it still migrate over to the IT side. Let me see if I can recall the steps:

- Monitor
- Identify
- Isolate
- Enforce
- Correlate

Too many are asking that all of the above steps be performed at one checkpoint. That's just not possible, well, not unless we all allow ourselves to be tagged in a database Disney can access. As of right now, the simple finger scanner (not a finger print scanner, mind you) has folks still up in arms. The best they can do without scaring off folks is Monitor, and Identify through a light inspection. I'm sure they have all the other aspects in place through cameras and a top-notch security staff (*not our average bag checker). They also take all threats seriously.

Let's not forget Disney has many many points of access outside of the main gates of entry. Suppliers, contractors, employees, all have access, and as someone even added, the entire sky of the parks are open. What we're discussing here is just the tip of the subject matter. I'd love to know what they're doing on other fronts.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
No worries. Once POTC replaces the guns held by the pirates with flowers, there will be no kids wanting to buy guns at the exit store.

Stupid PC/False Sense of Security nonsense...

I'm not on the inside of this particular decision, but I'm guessing, the guns are being banned(for now) to make it easier to ID a potential threat.

Of course, this is assuming there really is a major threat right now.

BoarderPhreak

Maybe not so bad... One report says, "Only some guests, who are randomly selected, will have to go through the metal detectors."

SeaWorld also added them - and Universal is testing it.

stretchsje

With all the lines security causes, why wouldn't someone attack the entry area before the detectors? They're alraefy as densely packed as main street every morning.

I used to admire that Disney didn't do the stupid empty-the-pockets routine of our local Six Flags. So much for the illusion of fantasy.

s8film40

For this day in age, in this political climate...At metal detectors. Quite frankly. Stop some bullied teen from thinking about bringing a gun to MSUSA for revenge because he thinks it might not work. That's enough incentive for me to walk through an archway.

You want my real thoughts on a solution, it has to go to PMs because politics is against forum rules.
There's some out there who think it's mind numbingly stupid to draw the line at just metal detectors, when you could just take one small extra step to X-ray bags for example. Your idea of where that line should be drawn and others are just different, that's all I'm saying.

lazyboy97o

It has been stated repeatedly here that the Federal Government asked theme park operators to do this. It's not a Disney decision and it is mostly meant to deter lone-wolf attacks, not coordinated terrorism. For some, the fear of getting caught is enough of a deterrent. The fact that some will still seek to harm does not mean we should do nothing to improve safety.
Yes, I am aware that this request came from the government. To me that doesn't change anything since this is the very same government that repeatedly fails tests of getting contraband through such measures.

No. Terrorists don't want metal detectors. They want dead Americans. Period. End of story. We aren't giving in, we are trying to do something, anything, to become fractionally safer.
Then they can get dead Americans elsewhere right at the gates of these parks, outside these check points.

Wrong. You are wrong. A metal detector won't protect you from a motor vehicle. No ****. But it might protect you from some animal bringing a weapon into a theme park. FRACTIONALLY safer. Not totally safe, not by a long shot.
Or, as happened at LAX, the gunman could simply shoot the guards and walk right past the check point.

Last edited:

gmajew

So.... If not everyone is going thru metal detectors, exactly what is the point again?

It is about showing that they care and are taking this serious... It is to maybe catch or force one idiot that really does not want to do anything to go put the gun back in the car... It is not going to stop a suicide bomber nothing stops that...

CaptainAmerica

It is about showing that they care and are taking this serious... It is to maybe catch or force one idiot that really does not want to do anything to go put the gun back in the car... It is not going to stop a suicide bomber nothing stops that...
If you concede it's mostly about show (and I agree on that point), then I think it's more important to *show* that we're not afraid. The optics of this are terrible. They say "we're panicking."

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Yes, I am aware that this request came from the government. To me that does;t change anything since this is the very same government that repeatedly fails tests of getting contraband through such measures.

Then they can get dead Americans elsewhere right at the gates of these parks, outside these check points.

Or, as happened at LAX, the gunman could simply shoot the guards and walk right past the check point.

I realize there are many weak spots in our day to day security. That doesn't mean we shouldn't take some basic, unobtrusive steps to shore up some of those.

A metal detector, implemented correctly, is completely passive, non-obstructive security step.

gmajew

If you concede it's mostly about show (and I agree on that point), then I think it's more important to *show* that we're not afraid. The optics of this are terrible. They say "we're panicking."

I also agree with you that it is important to show that we are not afraid and continue to do everything we can to live our lives not being afraid... That lets them win... but if a company in this case or a private arena etc does not step up its game and something actually does happen it will destroy the industry... This is as much about covering their butts as it is anything else but they have no choice.. which suck!!

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
They frisked my 2 1/2 year old at Heathrow the other month..both times through...which really ed me off actually.

So...it could be worse....

CaptainAmerica

I realize there are many weak spots in our day to day security. That doesn't mean we shouldn't take some basic, unobtrusive steps to shore up some of those.
I'd be all for some basic, unobtrusive steps to shore up some of those. The problem is, these rent-a-detectors are obtrusive and they do not shore up anything.

A metal detector, implemented correctly, is completely passive, non-obstructive security step.
1. I've never seen a metal detector implemented correctly.
2. It's not obstructive to your ability to walk into the Magic Kingdom, but it absolutely is obstructive to your ability to leave the world of Today and enter the worlds of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

CaptainAmerica

Yea, bc they didn't commit the mass murder.
That's your official position then? You think there's some would-have-been mass murderer out there who decided not to mass murder people because of the presence of a metal detector. Give me some of what you're smoking. The mental hurdle to DECIDE TO MURDER A BUNCH OF PEOPLE is a much higher threshold than figuring out a way to elude a metal detector.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom