News New security measures

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
That's your official position then? You think there's some would-have-been mass murderer out there who decided not to mass murder people because of the presence of a metal detector. Give me some of what you're smoking. The mental hurdle to DECIDE TO MURDER A BUNCH OF PEOPLE is a much higher threshold than figuring out a way to elude a metal detector.
Not all the time it isn't. Often it's the tiniest tip of the scale that changes someone from a manifesto writer to murderer.

Also, maybe he still murders, but at an easier target. I'd rather be the, even slightly, tougher target.

gmajew

Premium Member
I'd be all for some basic, unobtrusive steps to shore up some of those. The problem is, these rent-a-detectors are obtrusive and they do not shore up anything.

1. I've never seen a metal detector implemented correctly.
2. It's not obstructive to your ability to walk into the Magic Kingdom, but it absolutely is obstructive to your ability to leave the world of Today and enter the worlds of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

Have seen some real cool ones that you just walk through post in the ground similar to the my magic post... It scans you for certain objects etc and then alerts someone in the office if you need more security. Don't know if they are out yet but the tech is in place to help better protect us..

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I also agree with you that it is important to show that we are not afraid and continue to do everything we can to live our lives not being afraid... That lets them win... but if a company in this case or a private arena etc does not step up its game and something actually does happen it will destroy the industry... This is as much about covering their butts as it is anything else but they have no choice.. which suck!!
Like I've argued in other posts, this is not "stepping up their game." This is nonsense. If they were actually stepping up their game with long-range scanners or invisible metal detectors integrated into themed pylons or ballistics-trained canines disguised as aid dogs, etc., then I'd sign on the dotted line.

GrammieBee

No one, company or goverment can protect everyone from everything all of the time.
You could have scanners at all shopping malls, box stores, grocery stores, hotels, resorts, bus and train terminals theaters, sporting venues (including schools), concerts, recitals, banquets, museums, fairs, amusement parks and anywhere else people come together. You could ban all large gatherings such as fairs, fiestas, festivals, parades and other things like Times Square on New Years Eve. Still, those determined to create bloody havoc would find a way, somewhere least expected. This does not mean that the regrettably necessary security measures which are already in place are not a deterrant to at least some of the fruitcakes out there. Any one nut or group stopped is worth spending some time in a line.
Due to the state of the world and the paranoia that is happening, it seems inevtable that Disney will install permanent scanners for everyone. Probably where they already have the bag checks. Logic would dictate that there was a credible reason for all three parks to install at least some temporary scanners in such a short time. Even though they seem to be more for show than doing much actual good.

The problem is finding a balance between not enough security and having too much security taking away much of the freedom we take for granted and will not willingly give up.

brb1006

In case any of you were wondering, this is the same company handling the metal detectors:

Sources are saying that all the theme parks were urged by the government to implement these measures...it seems a bit coincidental that CSC is getting the biggest boost from that advice..

Also...confirmed at Disneyland today as well.

I can't wait to see future cellphone videos of an incident featuring the CSC with guests at Disneyland and WDW especially during the Food And Wine Festival next year.

Nick Pappagiorgio

No. Terrorists don't want metal detectors. They want dead Americans. Period. End of story. We aren't giving in, we are trying to do something, anything, to become fractionally safer.

Dead Wrong. Terrorism is violence in pursuit of a political objective. The target audience is not the people they are killing, those people are just tools to further their objectives of creating fear and hysteria.

s8film40

Like I said in my original post. Disney hasnt implemented this very well at all. It's a good idea, bad execution.
I think that's my biggest issue is there isn't a good way to execute this. Obviously the payoff of something like this is low, as you said it's only fractional. The next step of having metal detectors though comes at a very high price. Either they have to staff this with hundreds of employees and spend a small fortune or they would have hour long waits, which combined with the existing entrance process creates wait to enter the park that really for most would just make it impractical to even go. We understand we need to get to the airport 2 hours before our flight, but I'm not interested in going to a park if I have to do that each time just to get in.

brb1006

I am extremely upset, today at the Magic Kingdom they installed Metal detectors, three units for random screening, let me tell you how infuriating this is.
1. Metal detectors will not stop a terrorist, if they want to do damage they will do damage a metal detector won't stop anything. This is lip service security that doesn't increase safety but makes people think they are doing something. Dinsey has a crack team of former military and police officials monitoring the parks 24 hours, following online traffic and making sure that their guests are safe. In the 14 years since 9/11 they have protected the park, but because of the current hysteria they install metal detectors. Simple lip service.
2. You are being more risky in your car. You are at a higher risk of getting injured in your car today then being affected by terrorism,
3. Metal detectors with random crowd screening will undoubtly lead to to discrimination and racial profiling. White profiling to scan people who are more likely to conceal carry and middle-eastern and black or African American. No doubt.
4. The plaque under the train station says her you leave today and enter a world of fantasy, yesterday and tomorrow. The thematic journey begins at the ticket both, but now a cloud of anxiety will hover over your entire Disney trip. Here you leave nothing, be anxious is the new message. Shame on Disney, a little kid will see the metal detectors and be frightened, a mother or father now will be reminded how dangerous leaving their house can be and have the anxiety hanging over there head.
5. It is a symptom of the fear mongering that is so so prevalent in today's society. Here take my freedoms until I feel safe, give me inconvience if it means i'll feel safe. Tough news people, this doesn't make you safer. Disney putting metal detectors up does not make you in any way safer. To those who say the inconvenience is worth the safety, then why don't they put us through metal detectors at the monorail, of ferry boat or shopping mall or our local schools? or local super Walmart, just as dangerous.

There is risk everywhere, this does nothing to solve the problem and it does everything to escalate fear and anxiety, undermining the guest experience. (actual letter I wrote to Disney)
I always get very paranoid if one of them would go off when I went on and off the airplane to Orlando back in early 2015 and 2006 when I visited WDW.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Dead Wrong. Terrorism is violence in pursuit of a political objective. The target audience is not the people they are killing, those people are just tools to further their objectives of creating fear and hysteria.
The political objective is to wipe us off the earth. Or more specifically to remove ourselves from international affairs. It's not to make us put up security devices.

brb1006

I am very sad to see these measures come to Disney. Sad to see what our country and our world has become.

We're ruled by Paranoia and Fear and that's not a good thing at all.
You don't see Disneyland Paris,Tokyo Disney Resort or Hong Kong Disneyland pulling security to that level.

s8film40

The political objective is to wipe us off the earth.
Lets give this some very conservative numbers. Lets say they manage to kill 100 people every month in an attack like this, how long will it take to wipe us off the earth? I calculate 250,000 years, assuming the US population doesn't fluctuate in that time period. I think they would have a better chance at just hoping our species goes extinct by then.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Every war has a psychological and propaganda component. This is a victory for them in that sphere.

This can be applied to every single security measure we take then. Check points at military bases? Terrorists win. Extra police at the Jet game? Terrorists win. Lock your door at night? Terrorists win.

See what I'm saying?

rucifee

No they probably just decided to carry it out on the masses of people trying to get through the line check.

That's probably where they would strike first anyway, it would open up access into the park...unless the metal detector is a transformer it's not going to stop them from walking in once they've eliminated the people standing at the checkpoint. By the way, have they put a (1) metal detector in at Disney Springs yet? We need to protect the people of Disney Springs as well!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Lets give this some very conservative numbers. Lets say they manage to kill 100 people every month in an attack like this, how long will it take to wipe us off the earth? I calculate 250,000 years, assuming the US population doesn't fluctuate in that time period. I think they would have a better chance at just hoping our species goes extinct by then.

We agree they are insane then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom