News New security measures

Biff215

For the first time ever, I'm seriously considering not taking a bag into the parks on my next trip next month. I'll forego our cereal bars and refillable mugs for the sake of a quick entry! Anyone thinking the same?
If you can get away with it, especially at MK, I would definitely suggest going without bags. I have younger kids so it's tough, but as much as I think it's necessary to check bags, I didn't feel any safer jammed into those lines for 10-15 minutes.

I'm also wondering whether an NFL policy might be considered. Many would be quite upset, but they need to do something to help security. We have a Swiss Gear backpack with what seems like 10 zippers. I told my wife this is its last trip, going to a sling bag next time.

HurricaneHanna

For the first time ever, I'm seriously considering not taking a bag into the parks on my next trip next month. I'll forego our cereal bars and refillable mugs for the sake of a quick entry! Anyone thinking the same?
I tried going to MK without a bag a few weeks ago. It doesn't totally solve the problem when the congestion all around the bag check lines is really bad because it's actually hard to get through the swarm of people to access the no bag entrance. Also, every time I went into MK, EP, or HS without a bag, I was "randomly" selected to go through the metal detector.

Tom

Beta Return
For the last two trips, we used cargo shorts to avoid the bag check nightmare. But heard on the radio this morning that cargo shorts are becoming unpopular now, so I guess I better stock up before the fickle masses make another thing I like disappear!

Back on topic, I'm surprised bag check is so backed up. I'd heard attendance was way down.

If that's true about cargo shorts, I'm going to be unstylish for a long time to come.

I also use them to avoid bag check. Everything I need for a day in the parks will fit in the assortment of pockets. Disposable poncho in one back pocket, wallet in the other. Cell phone in a front pocket. A few medicines (Tylenol, Benadryl, etc) in another pocket.

bhg469

Its security theater but this is one thing I think will actually prevent a real disaster. Anyone looking to do real harm would do so in the bag check area before opening. Thinning out this crowd will make everyone safer of someone chooses to make MK a target.

Security theater has crossed into actual security.

Last edited:

No Name

What this means is that they're doing a better job checking through bags. That's what's causing longer bad check lines. The previous "lemme poke a stic... alright you're good!" looked kind of lazy and foolish. I support more thorough bag checking if there is the capacity to make the line move and avoid huge crowd buildup.

But even with the expanded bag check, there are still long lines, so I'm not sure the capacity is where it should be. Basically, they need to add even more bag check stations. I don't know how, I'm not sure they have the room, but I really think they need to make it happen. Or do something else to avoud crowd buildup.

Why are long lines before bag check and security a bad thing? Because the shooter won't even need to go through security, he'll just walk up and open fire on the morning crowds outside the gates. That's my biggest fear.

bhg469

What this means is that they're doing a better job checking through bags. That's what's causing longer bad check lines. The previous "lemme poke a stic... alright you're good!" looked kind of lazy and foolish. I support more thorough bag checking if there is the capacity to make the line move and avoid huge crowd buildup.

But even with the expanded bag check, there are still long lines, so I'm not sure the capacity is where it should be. Basically, they need to add even more bag check stations. I don't know how, I'm not sure they have the room, but I really think they need to make it happen. Or do something else to avoud crowd buildup.

Why are long lines before bag check and security a bad thing? Because the shooter won't even need to go through security, he'll just walk up and open fire on the morning crowds outside the gates. That's my biggest fear.
I'm more afraid of a bomb than a person with a gun. At least if there is one person with a gun, you always have a chance to react and get away or hide. A bomb is just instant and doesn't require aiming and you are either in its range or not, there is no reacting to get yourself to a safe spot.

Matt_Black

I'm more afraid of a bomb than a person with a gun. At least if there is one person with a gun, you always have a chance to react and get away or hide. A bomb is just instant and doesn't require aiming and you are either in its range or not, there is no reacting to get yourself to a safe spot.

Eh. The thing with bombs is that they're complex, and most would be terrorists aren't brilliant chemists or engineers. Like, there was this one guy who was setting a bomb in a museum and he PUT THE TIMER ON UPSIDE DOWN before he set it. Seriously, just like in that one episode of Futurama. Needless to say it didn't go well.

DisneyFans4Life

I've noticed longer bag check lines as well and security being much more thorough. I've also noticed more people getting screened through the metal detector. It used to be that either my wife or I would be selected and the other would stay by the stroller. Now we both get selected. As before, I still don't mind the extra little bit of time it takes to get into the parks. I make sure to open all the bags and stroller compartments so it makes it easier on security. And I always try to thank them for doing their job.

trampdog

Me too. I've been park storming with cargo shorts for the past 20 years or so, and I make bigtime use of all them pockets! I've never been on the cutting edge of fashion anyway, so I'm not too worried about it.

THIS! Cargo shorts are the way to go. Also, I have a light weight ripstop nylon backpack that folds small enough to fit in one of the pockets. As soon as I get in, I put it on and my water bottle, camera, and everything else stuffed in the pockets goes in the backpack.

COProgressFan

If that's true about cargo shorts, I'm going to be unstylish for a long time to come.

I also use them to avoid bag check. Everything I need for a day in the parks will fit in the assortment of pockets. Disposable poncho in one back pocket, wallet in the other. Cell phone in a front pocket. A few medicines (Tylenol, Benadryl, etc) in another pocket.

Oh it's true.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nice-cargo-shorts-youre-sleeping-on-the-sofa-1470082856

Funny article to be in the WSJ, if you ask me.

I'm kind of hoping if I hold out long enough they'll come in style.

KikoKea

Can you put pretty much anything in them? If we can fit our small water bottle in a pocket and avoid the bag check, we are good to go. Been wanting to ditch the bag, so this is a good incentive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom