News New security measures

Andrew_Animatronic

Ok, I see alone of people talking here about the parks, bout wouldn't Downtown still be the highest threat level? No entrance security, tightly packed crowds, it would be too easy. It needs a security checkpoint or something. At least the parks could stop any psycho before they get through the gates.

Bairstow

Ok, I see alone of people talking here about the parks, bout wouldn't Downtown still be the highest threat level? No entrance security, tightly packed crowds, it would be too easy. It needs a security checkpoint or something. At least the parks could stop any psycho before they get through the gates.

According to the killer's wife, Downtown Disney was scouted as a potential target.

http://www.people.com/article/omar-mateen-disney-world-scouted-attacks

Biggen

I have a FL CCL and have carried my conceal carry gun into Disney and Universal for years.

Now, I'm not so sure I even want to go anymore. In the last couple of years, they have made it impossible for me or anyone that can legally carry to do so into the parks. I can't even carry a pocket knife into Disney anymore. At least I can still carry in Disney Springs.

Just not worth the risk to go to the parks since I have no way to defend myself. And I agree with the above insofar as if I'm a terrorist, why risk going through the checkpoint to kill people? There are hundreds just waiting to get in that could easily be slaughtered.

JohnD

I have a FL CCL and have carried my conceal carry gun into Disney and Universal for years.

Now, I'm not so sure I even want to go anymore. In the last couple of years, they have made it impossible for me or anyone that can legally carry to do so into the parks. I can't even carry a pocket knife into Disney anymore. At least I can still carry in Disney Springs.

Just not worth the risk to go to the parks since I have no way to defend myself. And I agree with the above insofar as if I'm a terrorist, why risk going through the checkpoint to kill people. There are hundreds just waiting to get in that could easily be slaughtered.

Here comes then the terrorists have already won argument. I know you have already heard this. But not going fearing for your own safety falls into that argument. I have really nothing more to say other than we should continue to live our lives. If you have the means to protect yourself. Good for you. If you don't, keep living life. Don't live in fear. Just be vigilant.

Biggen

Here comes then the terrorists have already won argument. I know you have already heard this. But not going fearing for your own safety falls into that argument. I have really nothing more to say other than we should continue to live our lives. If you have the means to protect yourself. Good for you. If you don't, keep living life. Don't live in fear. Just be vigilant.

I think wanting and having a way to protect yourself and your family is a good definition of being vigilant. I and everyone else just don't have that ability anymore.

G00fyDad

Just not worth the risk to go to the parks since I have no way to defend myself. And I agree with the above insofar as if I'm a terrorist, why risk going through the checkpoint to kill people? There are hundreds just waiting to get in that could easily be slaughtered.

First, let me preface this by saying this comment is not necessarily directed at you Biggen.

Unfortunately, just because someone has the right to carry a concealed weapon doesn't mean they should. I received formal training (military), as well as have many others who have a license to carry, but it scares me just as bad as a potential terror threat to think that someone can go down and get a firearm and a license to carry it without any training whatsoever. That itself can be just as dangerous as the terrorist shooting. An untrained individual (Yes, I know that some DO get training, but not all do.) can do just as much collateral damage blindly shooting in an attempt to hit the gunman. Training would show that person how, when, and where to return fire. Just because someone is shooting it doesn't mean you whip out your gun and start shooting back. There are other people in the path of your ammunition as well. Having good guy John Q. Public carrying a firearm into Disney in an attempt to stop a bad guy from shooting people doesn't set my mind any more at ease unless that person has had training and we just don't know who has and who has not had that training.

Keep in mind, I am in NO WAY saying that a person should not be allowed to own a firearm. I am completely in favor of the 2nd Amendment. Just that there should be mandatory training everywhere you apply for a license in order to own one.

bugsbunny

I was thinking about this for Disney Springs...Big problem is all the Entryways within the entire shopping district would make this a nightmare...Universal did it right just as you enter the the Skybridge by putting security checks before entering the entire resort...

See, the problem is that choke points work both ways. In a panic situation, it can be used to drive the foxes right to the hound. You choke the ways in to give the illusion of security, you also choke the way out. That's why so many people die in fires. People pile up at the exit, literally. Springs has so many ways in/out, that I don't think you can implement choke points without a serious redesign. So you end up back where you started, a mess trying to corral 10,000 people at a time in an "open air market".

rob0519

25 minutes isn't really that long of a wait all things considered. I think that Disney is doing all they can to make things as safe as they can aside from shutting down the parks entirely. As many others have said, if someone wants to kill a lot of people, they are going to do it anywhere and any time. We can't let these people have control over our peace and happiness.

Sorry, but I think 25 minutes to get into the park is really that long. Thousands of people bunched together in 90+ degree heat and sun or drenching rain is not a good situation. If you're worried about safety, a corralled crowd like that, outside the bag check and metal detectors is a easy target for maximum carnage.

oceanbreeze77

Sorry, but I think 25 minutes to get into the park is really that long. Thousands of people bunched together in 90+ degree heat and sun or drenching rain is not a good situation. If you're worried about safety, a corralled crowd like that, outside the bag check and metal detectors is a easy target for maximum carnage.
This attack is still fresh. I agree that 25 min is a long time and I also agree that we need more security. It'll take some time for disney to take a deep breath and form a game plan for how they will implement better and more efficient security. We the parkgoers must also take a deep breath and understand that disney cast members are doing the best they can in such a dire situation.

csmat99

Springs has so many ways in/out, that I don't think you can implement choke points without a serious redesign. So you end up back where you started, a mess trying to corral 10,000 people at a time in an "open air market".
Yes, but that is also reason a person or persons wouldn't target it. If it's open aired and some many spots to escape from you wouldn't be able to inflict as much damage as a club that only has 2 ways in and out. A place like Disney the concern is a strategic planning to plant bombs in multiple locations to cause chaos and people not knowing where to go and than having gunmen. A lone wolf like the club shooting isn't going to be able to pull off that at Disney. The security Disney needs which I'm sure they already have in place is under cover that are highly trained and can look out for things. But they also need to make sure it's harder for employees and vendors to get in the parks because like it's been mentioned before that is the way they would get in. Not through front gate.

drew81

When new park entry security changes become apparent, will we see longer lines to get in? Magic Kingdom entry point will become a bigger bottleneck and waits could become even longer.

Will we see tourists ditching the park hopper option in favor of the single day ticket and not wanting to waste time in security lines? I could see many doing that. Again, all of this speculative until we see the changes Disney brings forth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom