News New security measures

rob0519

This attack is still fresh. I agree that 25 min is a long time and I also agree that we need more security. It'll take some time for disney to take a deep breath and form a game plan for how they will implement better and more efficient security. We the parkgoers must also take a deep breath and understand that disney cast members are doing the best they can in such a dire situation.

I agree, it will take time. The cast members will absorb the brunt of customer frustrations until this gets sorted out. Hopefully, the management will remediate the people jam outside the security gates as soon as possible. It's not really more efficient security that is the issue. They have bag checks and metal detectors. It is more efficient crowd control which would just be adding more of what they already have to spread the crowd out on the entrance plaza.

Animaniac93-98

Sorry, but I think 25 minutes to get into the park is really that long. Thousands of people bunched together in 90+ degree heat and sun or drenching rain is not a good situation. If you're worried about safety, a corralled crowd like that, outside the bag check and metal detectors is a easy target for maximum carnage.

Putting aside security concerns for a moment, let's also keep in mind that MK is not like a theatre venue, where once you get past the line to get inside you're good. This is a case of waiting in line to wait in lines (like at the airport) and when most people know that going in it's not a great way to start the day. To say nothing of those with dining or FP+ reservations to get to.

I'm confident Disney will find a way to get its paying customers in sooner, but in the mean time it is annoying, even if you understand the justifications.

Scuttle

Sorry, but I think 25 minutes to get into the park is really that long. Thousands of people bunched together in 90+ degree heat and sun or drenching rain is not a good situation. If you're worried about safety, a corralled crowd like that, outside the bag check and metal detectors is a easy target for maximum carnage.
Exactly right. We are just making easier targets at these bottlenecks. It's just a matter of time. Just like the airport bombing. That's where this is going. We will undoubtedly have attacks at security checkpoints more and more. Then what will everyone say? You've got to get to the source pure and simple. It's the only way to even attempt to defeat these savages. They just go for easier and easier targets. More and more security measures is just pushing these cowards closer and closer to our homes,neighborhoods,bars, Etc.

jloucks

I'm also going to go with WDW security was good enough to make the attacker look for an easier target.

Related to this incident, it is working as intended. I'm not sure more is needed.

...maybe the appearance of more. But what is there seems effective.

...unless of course getting thru the front gate isn't even necessary.

Last edited:

Biff215

Experienced the added screening area most days of our trip when we hit MK in the morning. Still too many people pouring into both sides for security to efficiently handle. Didn't actually find the bag checks to be more thorough, however, just more people concentrated in that area, which IMO creates a dangerous situation. I commend Disney security on the job they're doing and the speaker system they're using to communicate directions, it's just too congested of an area to handle those crowds. I don't have a better alternative to suggest though.

rob0519

Sorry, but I think this is just more security theater. Some guards go through bags thoroughly while others just sort of take a cursory look and move you along. Another possibility is using the same format the NFL does for admittance to a stadium on game day. It really speeds up bag check.

http://www.chicagobears.com/tickets-and-stadium/coming-to-the-game/enhanced-security-procedures.html
Based on recommended NFL public safety best practices, we strongly encourage fans to not bring any bags. One (per person) of the bags listed below will be permitted inside Soldier Field.

• Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12"x6"x12"
  • One-gallon re-sealable clear freezer bag
  • Women's clutch purse no larger than 4.5" x 6.5" along with one of the clear bags
  • Medical bags for accompanying patron
All items subject to search. All other bags will be denied. Prohibited items include, but are not limited to: purses larger than a clutch bag, coolers, briefcases, backpacks, packs, non-clear cinch bags, luggage of any kind, seat cushions with zippered covers, pockets or flaps, computer bags, camera bags, and any bag larger than the permissible size.

THERE WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS!

Ransom

For the last two trips, we used cargo shorts to avoid the bag check nightmare. But heard on the radio this morning that cargo shorts are becoming unpopular now, so I guess I better stock up before the fickle masses make another thing I like disappear!

Back on topic, I'm surprised bag check is so backed up. I'd heard attendance was way down.

Jahona

For the last two trips, we used cargo shorts to avoid the bag check nightmare. But heard on the radio this morning that cargo shorts are becoming unpopular now, so I guess I better stock up before the fickle masses make another thing I like disappear!

Back on topic, I'm surprised bag check is so backed up. I'd heard attendance was way down.

Heard the same article this morning about cargo shorts. So does this also include cargo pants? :p

In honesty I've sat for 10+ minutes in the bag check line waiting to get inspected during the summer peaks. I was tempted a few times to leave the bag back at the room because of this.

5thGenTexan

I buy my shorts at Academy. Never a shortage.

5thGenTexan

For the first time ever, I'm seriously considering not taking a bag into the parks on my next trip next month. I'll forego our cereal bars and refillable mugs for the sake of a quick entry! Anyone thinking the same?

At DLR in June I left my backpack in the room when we returned in the evening. I was able to sail though the bag check, but it seemed like each time I avoided bag check I was "randomly selected" to head through the metal detector.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom