News New security measures

Matt_Black

I suppose if we were to relegate it to strictly a venue that performed bag checks then it might be a bomb(s) that we should worry about. It would be very easy to sneak in enough components to build a bomb than to sneak in a bunch of firearms/ammunition to do the equal amount of damage. On the other hand, you can do just as much damage as a bomb if you have access to get enough firearms/ammunition into a crowded spot.

But, as I noted above, bombs are complex, guns are simple. And there's a lot that can go wrong with bombs. For instance, the Shoe Bomber. Theoretically, a brilliant scheme. What he failed to take into account however, is that feet get really sweaty, and that sweat is going to ruin your bomb. There's a reason that few, if any, would-be terrorists have tried that tactic again. A gun, on the other hand, has a much better success rate.

With bombs, it's pass/ fail, and that's it. With a gun, if you only get off one, non-fatal shot, people are still going to be freaked out.

G00fyDad

But, as I noted above, bombs are complex, guns are simple. And there's a lot that can go wrong with bombs. For instance, the Shoe Bomber. Theoretically, a brilliant scheme. What he failed to take into account however, is that feet get really sweaty, and that sweat is going to ruin your bomb. There's a reason that few, if any, would-be terrorists have tried that tactic again. A gun, on the other hand, has a much better success rate.

With bombs, it's pass/ fail, and that's it. With a gun, if you only get off one, non-fatal shot, people are still going to be freaked out.

I suppose. I know that a lot of terrorists die while making the bomb because they are not too educated on exactly how to do it. Sort of like attaching the wrong wire to the wrong part of the bomb. You only get one chance to get it right. :)

Also, I imagined the shoe bomber walking onto the plane very softly and sweating a lot. Each step agony for him. LOL Imagine Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop 3 slowly walking into the mansion and setting the fake explosives brown bag down carefully and sweating. LOL Almost orhaned his two daughters, Monique and Unique. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

WelshBatman

Imagine Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop 3 slowly walking into the mansion and setting the fake explosives brown bag down carefully and sweating. LOL Almost orhaned his two daughters, Monique and Unique.

That was Beverly Hills Cop 2 and he was going into the gun club... I didn't want to be that guy but I love the Beverly Hills Cop movies...

fosse76

For instance, the Shoe Bomber. Theoretically, a brilliant scheme. What he failed to take into account however, is that feet get really sweaty, and that sweat is going to ruin your bomb. There's a reason that few, if any, would-be terrorists have tried that tactic again.

Not to discount the sweaty feet theory, but the detonation failure was mostly attributed to the rainy weather that day.

Matt_Black

Not to discount the sweaty feet theory, but the detonation failure was mostly attributed to the rainy weather that day.

Well, for whatever reason, he was unable to light the fuses on his shoes. And then of course, there was the Underwear Bomber, who's explosive device managed to damage all of himself and no one and nothing on the plane. He was on fire briefly, and then the passengers restrained him and continued on with their flight.

Kman101

They were saying that young kids did not have to go through the metal detectors.

To be fair, I think they either make everyone go through them or do away with them. (I've yet to be subjected to a search or going through one at WDW but Universal makes everyone go through them - I didn't but was wanded and emptied my pockets). I sort of get not putting kids through it, but couldn't someone put a gun or a knife or a bomb on a kid? It happens I hate to say.

FerretAfros

During the Marathon on Sunday, I spotted a new fence and gates at the Transportation and Ticket Center. They seem to form the perimeter of the new secure area, for when the MK security checkpoints are moved to enclose the monorails and ferries. Because it was dark and I was running, I didn't have a chance to look around much, but the fence appeared to be about 8' tall, made of welded wire mesh (not chainlink), and painted go-away-green, with rolling gates across both paved areas
P1180288.JPG

P1180289.JPG

Here's a rough outline of the fence's location. Presumably additional fences will be installed (if they haven't been already) to complete the boundary:
TTC.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, the Topiary Lane area was originally constructed as part of the tram route from TTC to MK, though it hasn't been used regularly for many years. By enclosing this area, it seems unlikely it will be used in the near future, though I suppose the setup would allow for transportation for guests who have already passed security clearance at another location, similar to the current upcharge "Express" transportation

Monorail_Red_77

During the Marathon on Sunday, I spotted a new fence and gates at the Transportation and Ticket Center. They seem to form the perimeter of the new secure area, for when the MK security checkpoints are moved to enclose the monorails and ferries. Because it was dark and I was running, I didn't have a chance to look around much, but the fence appeared to be about 8' tall, made of welded wire mesh (not chainlink), and painted go-away-green, with rolling gates across both paved areas
View attachment 184122

View attachment 184123

Here's a rough outline of the fence's location. Presumably additional fences will be installed (if they haven't been already) to complete the boundary:
View attachment 184121

If I'm not mistaken, the Topiary Lane area was originally constructed as part of the tram route from TTC to MK, though it hasn't been used regularly for many years. By enclosing this area, it seems unlikely it will be used in the near future, though I suppose the setup would allow for transportation for guests who have already passed security clearance at another location, similar to the current upcharge "Express" transportation

This fencing is consistent with the perimeter fencing around the Theme Parks, etc as well. one example is when you are at MK Monorail Station on the Express side looking back at MK.

COProgressFan

This fencing is consistent with the perimeter fencing around the Theme Parks, etc as well. one example is when you are at MK Monorail Station on the Express side looking back at MK.

Anyone remember when it was kind of a big deal when those theme park fences went up? Trying to recall if it was late 90's or post 9/11.

Either way, yes, there was a time you could wander through the woods behind Frontierland, for example, and sneak into the Magic Kingdom.

beertiki

This weekend security at MK unwrapped and opened my wife's wallet so that $1000 or so in cash was visible. She told the guard to close it up, then she complained to the nearest "suit".

They need to just put in scanners. Universal has some. There has to be a few horror stories involving dropped phones, cameras, or other breakable items.

HRHPrincessAriel

This weekend security at MK unwrapped and opened my wife's wallet so that $1000 or so in cash was visible. She told the guard to close it up, then she complained to the nearest "suit".

They need to just put in scanners. Universal has some. There has to be a few horror stories involving dropped phones, cameras, or other breakable items.
unwrapped?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom