New Rule: For orders placed after 10/1, guests must be present to meet mobility vendor deliverypersons

PrincessNelly_NJ

Or this is a way to limit people from ordering ECVs, seeing as everyone complains there are too many of them...
This won't stop people from renting them though. It will just change the way they are handled. I can't see anyone spending hundreds to rent an ECV they don't actually need. There's no benefit to having one.. you don't get to skip lines, the wait for a bus could be significantly longer, and navigating the parks with one is a nightmare.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I imagine they wanted to alter the deal, as Disney does
Only 3 of the 4 companies put out statements regarding the matter and all 3 seemed shocked. Sounds like Disney is just looking to extend their relationship with one vendor. We'll see. As long as the option to rent one and have it when you arrive is there, I'm happy. Even if it cost more.

MiddKid

When I spoke to GM they made it seem as if they would not deliver outside of their normal business hours unless it was a service complaint, so unless the person I spoke with was giving out false information. Then even they won't always work for guest with mobility problems.

But I won't argue with you. I'm glad the one time you took a guest with mobility problems things worked out for them. It's even nicer when things work out for everyone.

Every industry has service providers that have competitive advantages. If a company like Gold Mobility feels like their business hours are the right balance between cost/benefit then they go with that. If another company feels like there is a market for 3am deliveries, they will step in and fill that gap. When a customer evaluates their options they will realize that given the time they are arriving, they need to skip Gold and go with the company that does deliver when their flight arrives. Or all providers realize there is not business benefit to providing delivery at 3am and that person needs to use the resort’s complimentary wheelchair until a scooter can be delivered.

I’ve shown up at some mid-sized airports where the car rental Business is closed at my arrival time. Those providers don’t see the value in providing their service at off-hours. I, as the customer, need to work around that. Just like future scooter customers will. Making things work out for everyone is not a realistic goal...and if it is a goal, it should be the goal of the company providing the service, not Disney.

Goofyernmost

I've never rented one but scooters are not cheap to rent. I can't imagine why anyone would rent one of they didn't need it.
Truer words were never spoken. Although they meant the difference between my being able to visit WDW (my favorite place on earth) or staying home staring at the walls, they are without a doubt a colossal pain in the buttocks, hassle wise!

That unreasonable requirement from Disney is just one more reason to not stay in the resorts anymore.

Goofyernmost

Why is it unreasonable?
Customer service violation. Charge some one with a disability $600. a night for a freaking bed and a shower and then make them be available at whatever time the delivery shows up with the vehicle needed for ease of mobility. Yup, great customer service Disney. That is what is unreasonable. The argument that people are damaging them and there is no proof is bogus. There is no reason why anyone in the receiving department cannot inspect it and point out existing problems. But, no, instead charge them exorbitant fees for a room and not provide any other service to help the guests. There is no reliability of a delivery time, like waiting for the cable guy to show up. I had a problem with the delivery, hotels fault, but I wasn't shackled there waiting for it to show up. I was free to leave, go to the park and just rent another one for the day. Additional expense sure, but at least I got to leave the building and have some fun.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Every industry has service providers that have competitive advantages. If a company like Gold Mobility feels like their business hours are the right balance between cost/benefit then they go with that. If another company feels like there is a market for 3am deliveries, they will step in and fill that gap. When a customer evaluates their options they will realize that given the time they are arriving, they need to skip Gold and go with the company that does deliver when their flight arrives. Or all providers realize there is not business benefit to providing delivery at 3am and that person needs to use the resort’s complimentary wheelchair until a scooter can be delivered.

I’ve shown up at some mid-sized airports where the car rental Business is closed at my arrival time. Those providers don’t see the value in providing their service at off-hours. I, as the customer, need to work around that. Just like future scooter customers will. Making things work out for everyone is not a realistic goal...and if it is a goal, it should be the goal of the company providing the service, not Disney.
Guest convenience for resort guest should not be Disney's goal? Having medical equipment delivered isn't generally treated as a luxury like a car rental or groceries. It's not optional for people who need them. The world is hard enough as is for people who aren't abled bodied.

Also, Disney has not ever guaranteed complimentary wheelchairs will be available at resorts which is why on their own website they recommended 3rd party companies. They generally have less than two on hand, if that.

Disney is one of the better companies for disabled people but even they fail at times. For example in August, I went to get a water wheelchair from typhoon lagoon (which Disney states are complimentary for guest) and when we arrived, they told me both had broken months ago and would not be replaced.
At haunted Mansion, out of the 10 attraction provided wheelchairs available, 6 were broken.
The new tower at Coronado Springs doesn't have a single handicap accessible door leading out back to the rest of the resort.

Again, I'm not going to argue. We can respectfully disagree on how it should be handled. I 100% feel like exceptions should be made for mobility/medically necessary devices

unmitigated disaster

Customer service violation. Charge some one with a disability $600. a night for a freaking bed and a shower and then make them be available at whatever time the delivery shows up with the vehicle needed for ease of mobility. Yup, great customer service Disney. That is what is unreasonable. The argument that people are damaging them and there is no proof is bogus. There is no reason why anyone in the receiving department cannot inspect it and point out existing problems.
I don't have a clue what you mean by customer service violation.

carolina_yankee

There is no reason why anyone in the receiving department cannot inspect it and point out existing problems.

disney - or any company - really can’t get in between a guest and an outside vendor. Receiving has no way of knowing what was ordered. It’s not their job to make sure it’s in working order. They can’t decide if dings, scratches, torn seats are unacceptable or a compromise for a cheaper rental.

bottom line - it sounds like there is still an authorized vendors. Guests will have to decide what is more important - delivery to bell services or a different company. In other words, there are still options.

while I’m sure the decision comes down to profit, I’m also betting operational concerns and liability we’re partial factors. And maybe even guest satisfaction if Disney was getting drawn into guest complaints with vendors.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Guest convenience for resort guest should not be Disney's goal? Having medical equipment delivered isn't generally treated as a luxury like a car rental or groceries. It's not optional for people who need them. The world is hard enough as is for people who aren't abled bodied.

Also, Disney has not ever guaranteed complimentary wheelchairs will be available at resorts which is why on their own website they recommended 3rd party companies. They generally have less than two on hand, if that.

Disney is one of the better companies for disabled people but even they fail at times. For example in August, I went to get a water wheelchair from typhoon lagoon (which Disney states are complimentary for guest) and when we arrived, they told me both had broken months ago and would not be replaced.
At haunted Mansion, out of the 10 attraction provided wheelchairs available, 6 were broken.
The new tower at Coronado Springs doesn't have a single handicap accessible door leading out back to the rest of the resort.

Again, I'm not going to argue. We can respectfully disagree on how it should be handled. I 100% feel like exceptions should be made for mobility/medically necessary devices
If the equipment is absolutely required by a mobility impaired person, wouldn't they have their own equipment with them?

Otherwise, we're just talking "convenience" here, and as others have said, there's a trade-off between convenience and cost.

Lilofan

Disney also undoubtedly does not have the manpower to examine 150 strollers, wheelchairs and ECVs a day. You can't bash Disney for underpaying their staff then turn around and expect that same staff to double the work load for the same pay.
Disney may have a third party to maintain/replace the wheelchair, ECVs items in the theme park operations. The staff which are underpaid and undermanned are too busy helping guests in the park.

Bronson55

If the equipment is absolutely required by a mobility impaired person, wouldn't they have their own equipment with them?

Otherwise, we're just talking "convenience" here, and as others have said, there's a trade-off between convenience and cost.
Please explain how a 100% disabled person who must fly to WDW can have that ECV with them? At the airport I am wheeled by wheelchair to the magical express bus. At the resort I step of the bus and am able to walk several hundred feet where I sit down and my wife retrieve my dropped of ECV which allows me to enter resort and check in. I can not stand for more than a few minutes . There are two wooden benches in front of the resort which may or may not be free when I arrive. As others have stated Disney,s current ecv options are useless and frequently unavailable anyway. This disability is my problem and no one else and I am fully aware of all the ECV hatred and ignorance on these sites. We are not talking bananas and beer deliveries nor stroller drop offs. I also am aware of all the unnecessary ecv rentals the last few years but that is they way the world is now. I am not the only one in this situation . I would gladly pay Disney additional money in addition to the 10K plus dollars I drop each visit to allow me to `function . I can't fix the scammers out there but I wish people would try harder to put themselves in other peoples shoes and be a bit more compassionate. I'm not sure what would appease everyone but I am more than happy to comply but right now there are no reasonable options for my situation.

Cousin Huet

We would have our groceries delivered for the week through Prime Now. It gave us quick breakfast food in the morning and few snacks for our child as well as drinks. It’s a decent size order but nothing crazy. You set a delivery window and they deliver it at a time in that window as well as tell you when it is being delivered closer to the actual time. We would have that coincide with our arrival and get it straight from the delivery guy. It was super easy unless you generally struggle with simple things in life.

I did see several orders come in and then have to be taken away by a cast member to be stored somewhere else. One occasion they had just taken an order away when the people showed up, so they ran back and forth. The system is doable but needs some simple planning. I would imagine that since Disney isn’t making money off of it that it will go away hoping for a few bucks from those horrible in shop purchases people make. It’s sucks but we’ll adjust.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Please explain how a 100% disabled person who must fly to WDW can have that ECV with them? At the airport I am wheeled by wheelchair to the magical express bus. At the resort I step of the bus and am able to walk several hundred feet where I sit down and my wife retrieve my dropped of ECV which allows me to enter resort and check in. I can not stand for more than a few minutes . There are two wooden benches in front of the resort which may or may not be free when I arrive. As others have stated Disney,s current ecv options are useless and frequently unavailable anyway. This disability is my problem and no one else and I am fully aware of all the ECV hatred and ignorance on these sites. We are not talking bananas and beer deliveries nor stroller drop offs. I also am aware of all the unnecessary ecv rentals the last few years but that is they way the world is now. I am not the only one in this situation . I would gladly pay Disney additional money in addition to the 10K plus dollars I drop each visit to allow me to `function . I can't fix the scammers out there but I wish people would try harder to put themselves in other peoples shoes and be a bit more compassionate. I'm not sure what would appease everyone but I am more than happy to comply but right now there are no reasonable options for my situation.
Arriving at your resort during normal business hours is not a reasonable option?

carolina_yankee

There are options. Use the one remaining preferred vendor or make arrangements to meet an offsite vendor. It sucks that Disney is eliminating competition (choice of vendors) but it sounds like it will still be possible to order an ECV for bell services pick-up from a specific vendor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom