New Rule: For orders placed after 10/1, guests must be present to meet mobility vendor deliverypersons

Heppenheimer

Just wondering, does this policy change apply to Disneyland as well? That might be the difference to us on an upcoming trip between renting vs. simply biting the bullet and paying the extra baggage fee to bring our own.

asianway

I don't have a horse in this race anymore since both my boys are well past stroller age, but it still irks me because it's not just another way in which Disney is making visiting WDW more of a hassle for guests, but also because they seem to care less and less about maintaining their "family friendly" image and atmosphere.
I think All disney wants is a kickback. Small price to pay for running a business on their property

asianway

Just wondering, does this policy change apply to Disneyland as well? That might be the difference to us on an upcoming trip between renting vs. simply biting the bullet and paying the extra baggage fee to bring our own.
For ECVs there is no extra baggage fees it’s ADA

DisneyDreamer08

I’ve heard part of the problem is that stroller & ECVs are being damaged during the week by the customer and then returned saying, oh it was damaged when we picked it up. So it makes complete sense that the company and the customer view and sign off on the product together.
And while stroller usage is probably higher than 10 years ago, I bet ECV usage is even higher. The hotels don’t have an infinite amount of space to store these things. Makes sense to me 🤷‍♀️

ImperfectPixie

Stroller for us, not an ECV.
No baggage fees for strollers, either - free gate check. You leave it right by the door of the plane as you board (the airline employees will show you where), and it will be waiting in the same spot for you when you land. Or you may check it with your luggage for free as well, but unless you have a stroller bag, I wouldn't advise doing that.

Heppenheimer

No baggage fees for strollers, either - free gate check. You leave it right by the door of the plane as you board (the airline employees will show you where), and it will be waiting in the same spot for you when you land. Or you may check it with your luggage for free as well, but unless you have a stroller bag, I wouldn't advise doing that.
Cool, thanks! In between the complaints about Bob Chapek, IP, loss of Horizons, etc, sometimes I actually learn something useful on this site.

So, no question now, we'll simply bring our own stroller.

Minnie1976

There is no way my husband could rent a scooter at a park and turn it in when we leave the park. He can not walk as far away as the buses are and he couldn’t walk up the incline to the monorail. He has to have a scooter because of his legs. Universal has that policy but they don’t have the hotels Disney has.

ImperfectPixie

There is no way my husband could rent a scooter at a park and turn it in when we leave the park. He can not walk as far away as the buses are and he couldn’t walk up the incline to the monorail. He has to have a scooter because of his legs. Universal has that policy but they don’t have the hotels Disney has.
We wouldn't do that even with a stroller - especially at any of the resorts that are more spread out. Carrying kiddos after a long day in the parks is too exhausting!

MiddKid

The sky-is-falling reaction to this is amazing to me.

First of all this makes all the sense in the world to Disney. The mobility rental business has exploded to ridiculous levels in the past decade or so. If they can't support the logistics of a 3rd party's business then they should get out of it. Cynical people scream that WDW is just trying to save another dollar or doesn't care about the guest...but what if it is about refocusing their cast back on their core job? If my resort isn't dealing with 30 mobility devices maybe it means they can cut down on how long it takes my luggage to get to my room or how quickly the valet parking line gets addressed. While people on here complain about the guest services you get for your "$700 a night" I'd be the first to raise my hand to have them shift logistics of this service so that everyone else can have faster bell services to meet that guest service expectation.

Many would look at my first thought and say "he doesn't have to deal with it" but our last trip we had an elderly family member who is awaiting a knee replacement and could barely walk. She used a wheelchair at the airport and used MDE. Having never rented a mobility device we did our extensive research and landed up using Gold Mobility Scooters. Guess what...they require you (have for years) to meet them at your resort. They made it super easy. A month ahead of our trip she gave the company her flight info and arranged a time. Her flight was a bit delayed and she texted the number she was given and was told no problem. The guy showed at the revised time and took the time to answer all her questions, show her how to use it, and even swapped out an accessory on the fly with a supply in the truck. I talked to her later and she simply loved the in-person experience of the pick-up (and drop-off) experience. This company has been doing it right for years, these other companies will adapt. There are always fringe cases (my flight was delayed 39 hours!) but those mobility companies should be able to deal with that (as ours did with our delayed flight). Having that scooter sit around for 39 hours at bell services doesn't make your resort's bell services any more efficient.

Don't get me started on the strollers. We did multiple trips to WDW and DL with three little ones and ALWAYS brought our own stroller (and we live thousands of miles from WDW). Yes, it was a PITA, but we did it. You may decide to avoid the PITA part and take advantage of the convenience of renting a stroller, but that just means you may actually have to make the effort to pick it up. I'm sorry you missed a hour in the park but that was a decision you made. Decisions have consequences.

WDW makes more concessions for strollers and scooters than any vacation destination I've ever seen. Simply needing to pick up the device that you decided to order hardly seems like a big issue. The service providers will adapt. New solutions will emerge. You know, on a recent trip I decided that MDE wasn't for me so I decided to rent a car. Avis wasn't going to drop it off at the hotel so it's waiting for me. I had to make the effort to get it, carry my own bags, and return it. It was something I had to factor in vs MDE.

There are so many parallels to new businesses in our new economy. The mobility companies were few and far between a decade ago, they have exploded and gotten out of hand, and now Disney needs to react. There were no electric (stand-up) scooter rentals in cities a decade ago, they (Lime, etc) have exploded, and cities are needing to react (they can't have them clogging up the sidewalks). Since I pay taxes for the police and city sanitation should they deal with the scooter clutter? Nope...some cities are outright banning them until they can figure out a way to control (e.g. permit) them and shift the burden to the company and end-user. It's simply part of the evolution of new business models.

#endrant

carolina_yankee

Rumor is Scooter Bug is telling guests they will continue to be able to leave ECVs with bell services. I can't verify that on their page and their FB page has no new posts for several years. Apparently they are the servicer of Disney's ECVs, so that would make sense.

Guests can still get their scooter from any company they like, but the challenge will be to communicate and coordinate a meeting time for pick-up and drop-off. That may be rough for people who need an ECV for more than a few feet. However, most resorts do have loaner wheelchairs which could at least get you to your room or the lobby while you wait for delivery.

The problem comes with delivery windows, which tend to be from around 7 am at the earliest to 7 pm or 8 pm at the latest (varies by company), so no late night arrivals if you need your ECV right away. Most likely option (assuming this is what travelers do when going elsewhere) is to travel with a wheelchair and then switch to the ECV when you can get it.

The vendors being dropped from the preferred list will have to up their game as one non-preferred vendor has been growing like wildfire by offering great customer service, new equipment, and very flexible and well-communicated drop-off/pick-up times.

Dirk

ImperfectPixie

Rumor is Scooter Bug is telling guests they will continue to be able to leave ECVs with bell services. I can't verify that on their page and their FB page has no new posts for several years. Apparently they are the servicer of Disney's ECVs, so that would make sense.

Guests can still get their scooter from any company they like, but the challenge will be to communicate and coordinate a meeting time for pick-up and drop-off. That may be rough for people who need an ECV for more than a few feet. However, most resorts do have loaner wheelchairs which could at least get you to your room or the lobby while you wait for delivery.

The problem comes with delivery windows, which tend to be from around 7 am at the earliest to 7 pm or 8 pm at the latest (varies by company), so no late night arrivals if you need your ECV right away. Most likely option (assuming this is what travelers do when going elsewhere) is to travel with a wheelchair and then switch to the ECV when you can get it.

The vendors being dropped from the preferred list will have to up their game as one non-preferred vendor has been growing like wildfire by offering great customer service, new equipment, and very flexible and well-communicated drop-off/pick-up times.

Dirk
While we don't need a stroller anymore, the timing would absolutely have been a worry for us in the past, as we generally arrive on the earliest flight we can get and depart on the latest.

carolina_yankee

While we don't need a stroller anymore, the timing would absolutely have been a worry for us in the past, as we generally arrive on the earliest flight we can get and depart on the latest.

Scooter companies will just adapt to using radio dispatched deliveries based on short availability requests. It will drive up costs tho.

Most likely. Though I doubt they’ll staff for super early or late night. I’m not sure the cost would go up, though, because they were already more expensive than the existing unapproved vendors.

I wonder how long it will be before we have ecv lanes in the parks...

Heh. The one ECV lane that I’m aware of (exiting The Land Pavilion) is generally filled with people walking up it.

Dirk

PrincessNelly_NJ

The sky-is-falling reaction to this is amazing to me.

First of all this makes all the sense in the world to Disney. The mobility rental business has exploded to ridiculous levels in the past decade or so. If they can't support the logistics of a 3rd party's business then they should get out of it. Cynical people scream that WDW is just trying to save another dollar or doesn't care about the guest...but what if it is about refocusing their cast back on their core job? If my resort isn't dealing with 30 mobility devices maybe it means they can cut down on how long it takes my luggage to get to my room or how quickly the valet parking line gets addressed. While people on here complain about the guest services you get for your "$700 a night" I'd be the first to raise my hand to have them shift logistics of this service so that everyone else can have faster bell services to meet that guest service expectation.

Many would look at my first thought and say "he doesn't have to deal with it" but our last trip we had an elderly family member who is awaiting a knee replacement and could barely walk. She used a wheelchair at the airport and used MDE. Having never rented a mobility device we did our extensive research and landed up using Gold Mobility Scooters. Guess what...they require you (have for years) to meet them at your resort. They made it super easy. A month ahead of our trip she gave the company her flight info and arranged a time. Her flight was a bit delayed and she texted the number she was given and was told no problem. The guy showed at the revised time and took the time to answer all her questions, show her how to use it, and even swapped out an accessory on the fly with a supply in the truck. I talked to her later and she simply loved the in-person experience of the pick-up (and drop-off) experience. This company has been doing it right for years, these other companies will adapt. There are always fringe cases (my flight was delayed 39 hours!) but those mobility companies should be able to deal with that (as ours did with our delayed flight). Having that scooter sit around for 39 hours at bell services doesn't make your resort's bell services any more efficient.

Don't get me started on the strollers. We did multiple trips to WDW and DL with three little ones and ALWAYS brought our own stroller (and we live thousands of miles from WDW). Yes, it was a PITA, but we did it. You may decide to avoid the PITA part and take advantage of the convenience of renting a stroller, but that just means you may actually have to make the effort to pick it up. I'm sorry you missed a hour in the park but that was a decision you made. Decisions have consequences.

WDW makes more concessions for strollers and scooters than any vacation destination I've ever seen. Simply needing to pick up the device that you decided to order hardly seems like a big issue. The service providers will adapt. New solutions will emerge. You know, on a recent trip I decided that MDE wasn't for me so I decided to rent a car. Avis wasn't going to drop it off at the hotel so it's waiting for me. I had to make the effort to get it, carry my own bags, and return it. It was something I had to factor in vs MDE.

There are so many parallels to new businesses in our new economy. The mobility companies were few and far between a decade ago, they have exploded and gotten out of hand, and now Disney needs to react. There were no electric (stand-up) scooter rentals in cities a decade ago, they (Lime, etc) have exploded, and cities are needing to react (they can't have them clogging up the sidewalks). Since I pay taxes for the police and city sanitation should they deal with the scooter clutter? Nope...some cities are outright banning them until they can figure out a way to control (e.g. permit) them and shift the burden to the company and end-user. It's simply part of the evolution of new business models.

#endrant
Gold Mobility was not authorized to leave scooters at Bell services because they were not one of the four companies that paid Disney for that benefit.

When I spoke to GM they made it seem as if they would not deliver outside of their normal business hours unless it was a service complaint, so unless the person I spoke with was giving out false information. Then even they won't always work for guest with mobility problems.

But I won't argue with you. I'm glad the one time you took a guest with mobility problems things worked out for them. It's even nicer when things work out for everyone.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Dirk
Scooterbug also was the vendor who supplied the "test" strollers at AK I believe too.

They actually are who we have always used because they have the cheapest wheelchair rate so I'm interested if this is true. I'd even gladly pay insane Disney prices for a wheelchair if they would offer them for the entire length of our trip

PrincessNelly_NJ

I don't see the problem in this. If you order pizza or uber eats you have to meet the delivery person. Scooters and strollers are very expensive items and I often see them lined up outside for anyone to take or mess with. Disney doesn't want that responsibility and this will hopefully cut down on the number of scooters being rented by people who may not need them as badly if they don't wait.
I've never rented one but scooters are not cheap to rent. I can't imagine why anyone would rent one of they didn't need it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom