New Rule: For orders placed after 10/1, guests must be present to meet mobility vendor deliverypersons

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
According to this video from Kingdom Strollers, the situation is in flux, but it appears that due to a recent policy change, Bell Services at Disney owned-and-operated resorts (so this does not include the Swan/Dolphin, Shades of Green, or Disney Springs hotels) will not be accepting outside vendor deliveries for items ordered after 10/1. Instead, guests must be present to take delivery.

It's unclear whether this is limited to strollers and scooters, or whether those ordering groceries and sundries will also be affected (the video makes it sound like an across-the-board rule, but it's possible the speaker was referring to stroller and scooter rental agencies, since the target audience is stroller renters), but FWIW, if this has the potential to affect you, you may want to carve out a little extra time at your hotel on your arrival day to meet up with your delivery, just in case...

UPDATE: Per Kenny the Pirate, the above video is misleading, and the new policy applies, at present, solely to mobility vendors. Thanks to @nickys for the link: https://www.kennythepirate.com/2019/09/27/disney-world-eliminates-outside-vendor-drop-off-services/

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
That sounds like a logistical nightmare.

I'm sure it already is, for Bell Services. They're just shifting the logistical burden to the guest, and reaping the financial rewards (since more people might now opt to buy overpriced stuff onsite instead of ordering it, rent their stroller directly from WDW, rent a car to go shop for themselves and pay to park it in Disney's lot, etc.). ;)

drizgirl

I'm sure it already is, for Bell Services. They're just shifting the logistical burden to the guest, and reaping the financial rewards (since more people might now opt to buy overpriced stuff onsite instead of ordering it, rent their stroller directly from WDW, rent a car to go shop for themselves and pay to park it in Disney's lot, etc.). ;)
Disney probably doesn't own enough strollers and ECVs to meet the demand, especially at peak times. For what people pay to stay at those resorts, it's a slap in the face to remove this service.

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
Wasn't there a thread re: a proposed fee for bell services to take deliveries and many cried foul? This may be your answer.

Yes. I thought they did start charging the fee (although there were anecdotal reports of inconsistencies). Maybe it didn't do enough to discourage people from ordering copious amounts of stuff?

I've seen so many people on these boards talk about the scads of items they've had delivered, often from multiple places (an Amazon box of diapers and wipes, stroller from a local vendor, Publix Instacart of groceries for a week, including items that need to be kept refrigerated or frozen, etc.), that I think the practice has become incredibly widespread. (Why wouldn't it, when Disney's on-site prices for those items are so outrageous, and the cost of checking luggage makes local delivery increasingly more attractive for those who travel long distances to WDW?) I can imagine that accepting all those deliveries and storing them appropriately has become a huge burden on Bell Services: rather than charging higher delivery fees or spending more to increase Bell Services "capacity," Disney has instead chosen to make it as inconvenient as possible for people to buy reasonably-priced goods from outside the bubble.

(That being said, I think people will adjust soon enough, and I don't think this will dissuade most people from ordering items for delivery. Many outside vendors already have procedures and apps in place to provide 1 or 2-hour delivery windows and real-time updates to your phone - and those that aren't will catch up quickly. Guests will just have to build a little time into their schedule to meet up with their stuff. A quick walk to the lobby still beats a drive to the store. This could even backfire for Disney, if enough people decide that since they need to be available at the hotel for a couple of hours on arrival day, they should just make it a non-park day and skip TS dining reservations or scheduled special events.)

Last edited:

docdebbi

Yes. I thought they did start charging the fee (although there were anecdotal reports of inconsistencies). Maybe it didn't do enough to discourage people from ordering copious amounts of stuff?

I've seen so many people on these boards talk about the scads of items they've had delivered, often from multiple places (an Amazon box of diapers and wipes, stroller from a local vendor, Publix Instacart of groceries for a week, including items that need to be kept refrigerated or frozen, etc.), that I think the practice has become incredibly widespread. (Why wouldn't it, when Disney's on-site prices for those items are so outrageous, and the cost of checking luggage makes local delivery increasingly more attractive for those who travel long distances to WDW?) I can imagine that accepting all those deliveries and storing them appropriately has become a huge burden on Bell Services, and Disney wants to make it as difficult as possible for people to buy reasonably-priced goods from outside the bubble.

I couldn't agree more. Disney has made EVERYTHING so expensive that people are trying to save money wherever possible. And why wouldn't we?

I myself have finally started staying off site, something I never thought I'd do, but the cost is so much less and parking is free and they accept my deliveries for free, and Bonnet Creek is right in the heart of it all.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It doesn’t surprise me. Some people have so much crap being delivered to the resorts it’s beyond belief. I’m really surprised Disney doesn’t charge more for incoming shipments to discourage this.

Because that would benefit them how? Maybe if their prices were a bit more in the galaxy called "Reasonable" people wouldn't have so much stuff delivered. We just cut out the middle man and go to Target/WalMart/Publix ourselves. :)

BigThunderMatt

Disney probably doesn't own enough strollers and ECVs to meet the demand, especially at peak times. For what people pay to stay at those resorts, it's a slap in the face to remove this service.

Bell Services already have enough on their plates with magical express luggage and regular check-ins. Not just at Disney, but at any resort, making them responsible for deliveries provided by a third party that the guest did not pay the resort for puts an unnecessary liability on them. If you didn't pay Disney for the service, they shouldn't be the ones responsible for safeguarding it as a courtesy until you deign to find the time to come pick it up or call to have them bring it up to your room.

ToTBellHop

Bell Services already have enough on their plates with magical express luggage and regular check-ins. Not just at Disney, but at any resort, making them responsible for deliveries provided by a third party that the guest did not pay the resort for puts an unnecessary liability on them. If you didn't pay Disney for the service, they shouldn't be the ones responsible for safeguarding it as a courtesy until you deign to find the time to come pick it up or call to have them bring it up to your room.
You’re paying very high resort rates for Disney’s “world renowned” service....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom