New resort in VA? + Other rumors and gossip

Californian Elitist

I just checked out a video of EitA on YouTube -- I was a little amused at how effusively riders were oohing and aahing over every scene change. I don't think I've ever heard riders that excited on Soarin'! (And the ride's name is a misnomer... at one point, Euractually on Top of a Car... :lol:)

Honestly, SOC (Soarin' Over California) is not all that. It's a nice ride and it was addictive when it frst opened but there's only so many times you can fly over California without it getting a little stale. Especially if you live in California and you've been to some of the places in the video.

Bolna

I can't say who, but I do know despite all the PR BS that you've heard for the last two years it won't be Tom Staggs. And I can also say with almost certainty that you're looking at an outsider. There's gonna be a deep cleaning going on. Step 1 was getting Alan Horn to run the WDS. It might surprise you, but the well isn't deep with talented execs at Disney that can handle top positions. And there's no one I see that's gonna get the BoD's OK to take Bob's place.

I am not at all an expert in how American corporations are structured. But it was once explained to me that the reason why American CEOs appear to have so much power (and considerably more than the CEO of a German corporation) is that they are able to have a lot of influence over who is on the Board of Directors. So I find it interesting that Disney's Board of Directors appears to be so unhappy with Iger. Seems like they must be really thinking that things are going very much in the wrong direction?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Really pleased to hear that Loch Ness is in good shape, and also looking forward to riding Apollo's Chariot sometime soon. I have nothing against loops, but love fast, smooth coasters with a ton of airtime.

If I'm going to plan a trip to Virginia, I'll probably also try to get over to Kings Dominion, which isn't too far from BGW -- I305 looks great too.

Only go over if you are a coaster guy... KD is 90% your basic regional amusement park... but big enough to fill most of a day. It still has it's 70's Main Street knock off entrance... but has enough coasters to keep people coming for the most part.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Only go over if you are a coaster guy... KD is 90% your basic regional amusement park... but big enough to fill most of a day. It still has it's 70's Main Street knock off entrance... but has enough coasters to keep people coming for the most part.

It's a place I only go when a friend gets some comp tickets... I refuse to spend money on it. The catch is, they have a ton of coasters but dang near rattle your brain outta your head and fillings outta your teeth. On the note of KD being the regional amusement... pretty big plus for aesthetics (a small but good start) is headed its way soon.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's a place I only go when a friend gets some comp tickets... I refuse to spend money on it. The catch is, they have a ton of coasters but dang near rattle your brain outta your head and fillings outta your teeth. On the note of KD being the regional amusement... pretty big plus for aesthetics (a small but good start) is headed its way soon.

I find it's coasters (except grizzly and hurler.. but they are woodies.. what do you expect) to be on average of what you would expect from coasters in terms of roughness.

Are they DLR space mountain smooth? No... but most coasters aren't. I don't find them to be below the normal expectation. Flight of Fear used to be pretty rough on the head.. but that's in the past anyways.

It's a good value for the region... but I wouldn't travel just to see it.

david10225

I'd suggest saving your money and concentrating on Busch Gardens. It is truly American's most beautiful theme park. It's well work the 2 1/2 hour drive from our house so we go every year...even now that the kids are grown :) Actually heading out down to Williamsburg on Sunday to try out the Verbolten.

Kuhio

Years ago, I was local to both BGW and KD. I think Shockwave at KD was my first coaster with an inversion, and the Loch Ness Monster my second, very shortly afterward. [Edited because an "inverted" coaster is not necessarily the same as a coaster with inversions...]

I still remember when the back of KD was undeveloped -- you'd head all the way out to the turnaround on the Rebel Yell and feel like you were out in the middle of the country, and then get a great view of the lake on the way back (assuming you were on the left side heading out).

And KD's Eiffel Tower always seemed huge to me, and very authentic -- at least until I saw the real thing some years later. :lol:

I haven't been to either KD or BGW since the '90s, but looking at images and maps online, it definitely looks like KD has seen more significant changes to its landscape. It seems like BGW has added more attractions (predominantly coasters) without sacrificing the inherent beauty of its environment. For me, as long as they have the iconic interlocking loops of the Loch Ness Monster looming at the center of the park, it's all good.

And yes, I'm a pretty big coaster guy. I love Disney parks, but sometimes you just want something a bit more intense than California Screamin' or RnRC...

Brian Noble

On the note of KD being the regional amusement... pretty big plus for aesthetics (a small but good start) is headed its way soon.
Well, that's great to hear. Every time something like this happens, I keep thinking that managing to lure Cast Member Matt back into the amusement industry as the new CEO is going to just keep on paying dividends. (As a FUN unit holder: pun intended.)

sweetpee_1993

Years ago, I was local to both BGW and KD. I think Shockwave at KD was my first inverted coaster, and the Loch Ness Monster my second, very shortly afterward.

I still remember when the back of KD was undeveloped -- you'd head all the way out to the turnaround on the Rebel Yell and feel like you were out in the middle of the country, and then get a great view of the lake on the way back (assuming you were on the left side heading out).

And KD's Eiffel Tower always seemed huge to me, and very authentic -- at least until I saw the real thing some years later. :lol:

LOL! I'm soooo with you! The first couple years we went to BGW & KD (when my dad was stationed back in Norfolk) I was still in my coaster-phobia years following the trauma of being forced onto BTMRR as a smaller child. After I was bribed out of my phobia (on BTMRR) I finally found my cahones and started giving big-girl coasters a shot. Loch Ness was like this mythical beast of sorts to conquor. Seriously. That's what it was like for me. Shock Wave was totally mind-blowing for me. And I sooooo remember riding the Rebel Yell (forwards on 1 side, backwards on the other). You described it so well because I remember the park being sparse out where it turned around...and remember it being on the body of water. Yep, got pics of my brother, cousin, me, & an old friend (who was murdered by her ex a few years ago) on top looking out. I remember thinking we were practically in the clouds up there. I have yet to see the real deal but it is funny how it all seemed larger than life back in the day.

A Cabbage Patch collector friend lives up in Fredricksburg (I think it is) and was telling me a few years ago when we roomed together at a big event in Georgia that the company she works for usually rents out KD once a year for a big corporate hub-bub. I forget the company name. Big tobacco company. She said that's the only time she goes to KD or takes her children. She was telling me overall (back in 2009) that the park was pretty ghetto-fab but I haven't been since the late '80s or early '90s so I have no clue. Man, talk about a jog down memory lane, tho! :lol:

flynnibus

Premium Member
forget when behind rebell yell wasn't developed... who remembers when the lake there was used for the water ski shows? :) And the animal preserve up front... The King Cobra coaster..

We had season passes to KD in recent years when the kids were younger, but have not done so for the last 4 years or so.

KD is a park worth it's costs.. but it's not the type of park you want to repeat over and over each season.. especially as an adult. You get repeatability by mixing up who you go with, etc. The waterpark portion has continually expanded over the years and is pretty good especially if you have a tween aged kid.

Alas we haven't been since the 300+ft coaster was being built so haven't ridden that one yet.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Well, that's great to hear. Every time something like this happens, I keep thinking that managing to lure Cast Member Matt back into the amusement industry as the new CEO is going to just keep on paying dividends. (As a FUN unit holder: pun intended.)

Something is headed its way to improve the overall appearance... something that is repairing a huge negative to me. I cannot elaborate just yet as to what it is though.

LOL! I'm soooo with you! The first couple years we went to BGW & KD (when my dad was stationed back in Norfolk)

She was telling me overall (back in 2009) that the park was pretty ghetto-fab

Great area to live in!!! :wave: It is overly ghetto fab but rumblings have it that the ghetto fab styling should be partially headed out. Another poster on here decided not to visit after hearing of its current status.

COProgressFan

I am not at all an expert in how American corporations are structured. But it was once explained to me that the reason why American CEOs appear to have so much power (and considerably more than the CEO of a German corporation) is that they are able to have a lot of influence over who is on the Board of Directors. So I find it interesting that Disney's Board of Directors appears to be so unhappy with Iger. Seems like they must be really thinking that things are going very much in the wrong direction?

Good point...and Iguess this is more of a question for Sprit of 74, but what exactly changed that has made the board so suddenly disapprove of Iger's performance? They selected him in the first place years ago, and seemed to be quite complacent during his tenure. Many of them are also exec's at other large companies, and certainly don't want to be seen as rocking the boat. Why the sudden change of heart?

Kuhio

forget when behind rebell yell wasn't developed... who remembers when the lake there was used for the water ski shows? :) And the animal preserve up front... The King Cobra coaster..

I remember the water ski shows and the animal preserve/safari... the skyride and the singing mushrooms... and when the volcano opened with the three "Lost World" attractions -- the Haunted River, the Land of the Dooz (which later became Smurf Mountain), and the Time Shaft.

Although I remember always thinking that Busch Gardens was the nicer, cleaner, and better themed of the two parks, I also recall liking the fact that the new attractions in the volcano were all really well done (for that time period, and for an ostensibly "local" theme park). The Haunted River had a number of haunted house props and effects, and the Land of the Dooz was a decent dark ride. Even the Time Shaft, which was just a run-of-the-mill rotor, had "time machine" theming and effects. Plus, they were all integrated into a huge volcano, which seemed almost like a Disney-esque touch in the middle of VA.

Of course, a lot of those elements are now gone. Candy Apple Grove, which had "apple" themed rides (the Apple Turnover, the Bad Apple), looks like it's now just the Grove. And the volcano is still there, but it houses just a single coaster. Whereas BGW hasn't lost any of the things that made it stand out, KD seems to have largely decided to stake its reputation on thrill rides over the rest of the little things.

Kuhio

So I was just checking out some more Verbolten POV videos, trying to find one that captures the "dark" elements as clearly as possible, and was just wondering...

In 10 years, are we going to see retro, pre-faded Big Bad Wolf T-shirts for sale at Busch Gardens? :D

flynnibus

Premium Member
I remember the water ski shows and the animal preserve/safari... the skyride and the singing mushrooms... and when the volcano opened with the three "Lost World" attractions -- the Haunted River, the Land of the Dooz (which later became Smurf Mountain), and the Time Shaft.

Although I remember always thinking that Busch Gardens was the nicer, cleaner, and better themed of the two parks, I also recall liking the fact that the new attractions in the volcano were all really well done (for that time period, and for an ostensibly "local" theme park). The Haunted River had a number of haunted house props and effects, and the Land of the Dooz was a decent dark ride. Even the Time Shaft, which was just a run-of-the-mill rotor, had "time machine" theming and effects. Plus, they were all integrated into a huge volcano, which seemed almost like a Disney-esque touch in the middle of VA.

Of course, a lot of those elements are now gone. Candy Apple Grove, which had "apple" themed rides (the Apple Turnover, the Bad Apple), looks like it's now just the Grove. And the volcano is still there, but it houses just a single coaster. Whereas BGW hasn't lost any of the things that made it stand out, KD seems to have largely decided to stake its reputation on thrill rides over the rest of the little things.

The mountain was a great element to the park. It's pretty sad to see the former elements left abandoned in the mountain as they retrofitted it for the Volcano coaster.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
So I was just checking out some more Verbolten POV videos, trying to find one that captures the "dark" elements as clearly as possible, and was just wondering...

In 10 years, are we going to see retro, pre-faded Big Bad Wolf T-shirts for sale at Busch Gardens? :D

There are not any that fully capture it. Unless specialized equipment is used to adjust to the rapid change in lighting then it is not happening. As someone who helps run a fan forum for BGW I have seen nearly all videos and have yet to come across one that captures the magnitude of the building. Imagine props of RnR styling everywhere but on a much grander scale with better lighting effects... No video will fully capture the drop track portion.

WDW1974

Good point...and Iguess this is more of a question for Sprit of 74, but what exactly changed that has made the board so suddenly disapprove of Iger's performance? They selected him in the first place years ago, and seemed to be quite complacent during his tenure. Many of them are also exec's at other large companies, and certainly don't want to be seen as rocking the boat. Why the sudden change of heart?

I don't want to give the impression the entire BoD is down on Bob. I have no idea if that is the case. I do know certain members of the BoD are quite down on him and have been for quite a while. And when they bring their concerns to him, as near as I can figure he does his best 'ESPN, Avengers , Nah-Nah ... I can't hear you, I can't hear you!!!' deal while sticking his fingers in his ears:rolleyes: (hate, hate, hate the new smileys!! where's my Dr. Evil?!?!)

So, I don't view it as the Board is all down on him or that any of this is sudden. He has absolutely damaged the company in many profound ways, all the while being distant, cold and alooof (again, gotta love him walking thru DCA today with his million dollar bodyguards when I know billionaires who own companies and don't have any security at all ... I'm sure a lover of the Maliboomer has made threats on his life and all:rolleyes:),

Bolna

I don't want to give the impression the entire BoD is down on Bob. I have no idea if that is the case. I do know certain members of the BoD are quite down on him and have been for quite a while. And when they bring their concerns to him, as near as I can figure he does his best 'ESPN, Avengers , Nah-Nah ... I can't hear you, I can't hear you!!!' deal while sticking his fingers in his ears:rolleyes: (hate, hate, hate the new smileys!! where's my Dr. Evil?!?!)

So, I don't view it as the Board is all down on him or that any of this is sudden. He has absolutely damaged the company in many profound ways, all the while being distant, cold and alooof (again, gotta love him walking thru DCA today with his million dollar bodyguards when I know billionaires who own companies and don't have any security at all ... I'm sure a lover of the Maliboomer has made threats on his life and all:rolleyes:),

Thanks for the clarification!

I find it very interesting what you say about Iger's personality being something that did not work to its advantage. I always found it strange that a company that was founded by someone so passionate and kind of sells passion and emotion would be lead by someone who comes across so unpassionate and cold.

After all, I think a large part of Disney's success is built on emotion. We might mock the way the company tries to play on that by selling retro t-shirts or bringing back the orange bird. But again and again when discussing Disney in comparison to other parks (especially Universal) the one thing that is mentioned is the nostalgia of Disney and what it means to people. I think they have a powerful tool there, but they don't use it in a way that makes sense. Instead of truly trying to connect and build this relationship for the future I get the feeling that they are just using it for short term goals. It even feels that there is a tendency to make the relationship with the company less personal - just think of the elimination of the use of Walt Disney's first name.

bethymouse

I believe DVC has a designated "resort" somewhere near BG Williamsburg ( I saw it in the presentation package). I live fairly close to BGW, and it would be nice if Disney capitalized on that area. IMHO BGW is the next nicest theme park (food park destination: Food Network) as well as Hersheypark, Pa. (also close to me). So... if Disney brings a DVC resort close to my home, then I'm in!:)

bethymouse

Kings Dominion has changed ownerships from Paramount to Cedar Faire ( same as Cedar Point). So... the coaster factor is amazing! If you are a coaster enthusiast, then KD is for you! I live close to KD, and have been going there since it opened in the 70's. BTW, KD also used to have a sky ride!;) In terms of theming and cleanliness, however, we stopped going to KD when they added metal detectors @ the entrance.:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom