New refurbs (Snow/Splash)

ToTBellHop

That's a little longer than normal for Splash, but it always goes down for a month in January. They do an annual renewal of it every year in January. At least they have for the past 3 or 4 years.
which makes sense...it's the coolest month of the year. It would make little sense to close Splash now--yes, it's the off season, but it's also ungodly hot, and they would prefer to keep it open during the hot months, so January is pretty much the only option (they wouldn't dare touch Spring Break and while I suppose they could try October, it's still much warmer then than January). It's just the most logical option. If you want to be guaranteed water rides, go in the summer when all of the water rides and both water parks are open. Perhaps the fact that Splash so often has effects broken should tell us that it DOES need yearly maintenance?

LizziePooh

That's a little longer than normal for Splash, but it always goes down for a month in January. They do an annual renewal of it every year in January. At least they have for the past 3 or 4 years.

Ok, well now it makes a little more sense to me. But still, the ride is closed for at least one month each year? Am I the only one who thinks that's a bit much? Something is seriously wrong if it needs to be refurbed that much each year.

Timmay

We will see if they are smart and keep Space Mountain open until Splash Mountain is back in service...bet they don't, though.:rolleyes:

I understand they need to take rides out of service for up keep, but it is obvioulsy a conspiracy that Spalsh is closed every single time we make our trip...:ROFLOL:

Thiger

i hope the improve the audio on Splash M. Last time i was on it i could barely hear the audio...well until we go stuck on the ride for 20 mins...then all i could hear was that song repeating over and over....could've been worse though, could've been on SWorld.

Buried20KLeague

Has anyone else noticed how the water on SM always smells soured? I try to talk my DS into riding it towards the end of our park visit so we don't smell the rest of the day. We haven't been on it since last November. Has the water improved?

I feel at least partly responsible for the water issue. We went with friends our last trip down, and a buddy of mine wasn't feeling well at all. But he was being a trooper and was riding everything with us. We got to splash, and he didn't want to try it because of how he felt. I talked him into it. Then... Right after the laughing place... BLECH!!! All over the side of the log, and into the water. You've never seen a group of people try so hard not to get wet on the drop right after that! Funny, but completely gross at the same time. He couldn't help it.

But the worst part of the story is that when we got back to the loading station, he got out of the log and told the manager. He asked if any got in the log... We said no... And he shrugged his shoulders and loaded the log.

:lol::lol:

Since then, we've always viewed getting wet on Splash a little differently.

Sorry for the drift, but thought I'd share a funny story. :wave:

Jerm

I think splash was down for 4 weeks last January. Six weeks this January means that in a 56 week period it's down for 10 weeks. That seems excessive.

This attraction opened in 1992 and has been going for almost 12 months out of the year since....I think giving it a few weeks off is not that excessive. Everyone has to remember there is something very different about this attraction then almost every other one....it is full of water. They have to do inspections on every attraction every day, water can make things change at the drop of a hat. I know we all hope they will shut down an attraction and do something like they did with Mansion again, but I doubt it. That long of a time I am guessing changing out lift belts and photoeye sensors along with the normal cleaning and small touch ups.

J

P.S.--RnRc opens on Oct 5th

GymLeaderPhil

With Splash down in January I assume they're still working on finalizing Space Mountain's refurbishment. For several years now Space has usually had down time in January.

phenom1307

i was so disappointed(sp?) last january when it was closed because me and my dad where finally about to get my mom to go on it but i think she was only saying she would go on it because she knew it was closed:p

mousefan1972

I feel at least partly responsible for the water issue. We went with friends our last trip down, and a buddy of mine wasn't feeling well at all. But he was being a trooper and was riding everything with us. We got to splash, and he didn't want to try it because of how he felt. I talked him into it. Then... Right after the laughing place... BLECH!!! All over the side of the log, and into the water. You've never seen a group of people try so hard not to get wet on the drop right after that! Funny, but completely gross at the same time. He couldn't help it.

But the worst part of the story is that when we got back to the loading station, he got out of the log and told the manager. He asked if any got in the log... We said no... And he shrugged his shoulders and loaded the log.

:eek:

I'm bringing my poncho next time!!

DisneyWood

Refurbs completed earlier than scheduled?

We will be finishing up our vacation on Feb. 15, 2008. My DD has never gotten to ride Splash, due to height restrictions. She is really wanting to go on the ride during this trip. Do they typically open earlier than expected or take the full time to complete the job?

KingStefan

Has anyone else noticed how the water on SM always smells soured? I try to talk my DS into riding it towards the end of our park visit so we don't smell the rest of the day. We haven't been on it since last November. Has the water improved?

I was there last month, and I don't know if "soured" is the word I would use, but it sure STANK! Also every ride vehicle I was on last trip was slimy on the front (if you reached your hand over past the front of the passenger compartment just a little). I did this by accident the first time :ewww: and then made a point of checking it out after that. I was a bit surprised.

Upidstay

Ok, that was gross. I wish I would have known this BEFORE I went on it...:)

gibson12

Every time I ride Snow White, I get frustrated. Why are there still 2D scenes in there? This is one of the most perfect stories the company has to work with. I read it to my class yesterday, and the moment it was done, every one of them begged to hear it again. Even the boys. I think that something as special as the story of Snow White deserves a deluxe treatment. I like some of the scenes, but it goes so fast and so many details get lost. Look at the new Jack Sparrow animatronic. Look how lifelike the Roz in the Monsters Inc ride in California moves. They are capable of so much more. They could do anything they wanted with that space. Splash Mountain is a near-perfect ride, easily one of the best ever even without the drop--it really doesn't need anything more than some routine maintenance. I keep hoping that something is in the works to take some of the older rides to the next level. And I am as nostalgic as anyone--I miss Toad, I love going back and hearing some of the same boarding speils I memorized as a kid, I was happy to hear some of the same jokes on the Jungle Cruise when I first returned after not having been in the park for 15 years. I'm sure there is a way to preserve the memories and experience but still utilize new technology. I don't buy the arguement that WDW doesn't need to update as much because of their attendance demographics. I want more. Fabulous--that is my simple request.

NewfieFan

You just can't keep us happy can you!?! If the rides are outdated or not working properly we complain! If they go down for refurb we complain! What's a theme park to do?:rolleyes:

DisneyGigi

Thanks for posting this, I am in the process of making plans for February and we will make sure that we book after the 15th now (hopefully it will reopen on time) we were already thinking that we would wait until after President's Day like we did this year and this seals the deal! Glad they gave more notice than the RnRC refurb. :)

BTW :hurl: on the puke story, now I have more of reason to wear my sunglasses and make sure my mouth is closed during the drop ..:hurl: :ROFLOL:

DisneyDellsDude

The last time Splash was down, didn't all they really do was repaint the outside and work on the main drop?

Maybe this time they will work a bit on the inside portion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom