New refurbs (Snow/Splash)

jt04

What do the abbreviations DD, DS and DD4 mean?

Examples of "group think" gone horribly horribly wrong. :lol:

I mean if they really are "dear" to you at least take the trouble and spell it out. Otherwise some may assume you mean "dumb" (or worse) Have a nice day!:wave:

jt04

Thanks for posting this, I am in the process of making plans for February and we will make sure that we book after the 15th now (hopefully it will reopen on time) we were already thinking that we would wait until after President's Day like we did this year and this seals the deal!

Depends on your priorities. I agree with others on here that this makes it more likely Space Mountain will be down after Feb 15th. I also wonder if Space Mountain has been delayed because they are hoping to do one big refurb instead of the rumored 2 stage rehab. I hope so anyway. Space mountain needs to be gutted, cleaned throughly and a single track layout installed. :lookaroun

cdunbar

Yeah the logs are in need of some maintence to make them un-nasty! When we rode back in July I touched the handles on my side of the log and I had a nasty slimy surprise...If I remember correctly they also left us sitting out in the rain for 20 min that was fun...neways back on topic the AA's need some help they were making noises like parts were rubbing together on the inside of them....:lookaroun

Silvermist

Every time I ride Snow White, I get frustrated. Why are there still 2D scenes in there? This is one of the most perfect stories the company has to work with. I read it to my class yesterday, and the moment it was done, every one of them begged to hear it again. Even the boys. I think that something as special as the story of Snow White deserves a deluxe treatment. I like some of the scenes, but it goes so fast and so many details get lost. Look at the new Jack Sparrow animatronic. Look how lifelike the Roz in the Monsters Inc ride in California moves. They are capable of so much more. They could do anything they wanted with that space. Splash Mountain is a near-perfect ride, easily one of the best ever even without the drop--it really doesn't need anything more than some routine maintenance. I keep hoping that something is in the works to take some of the older rides to the next level. And I am as nostalgic as anyone--I miss Toad, I love going back and hearing some of the same boarding speils I memorized as a kid, I was happy to hear some of the same jokes on the Jungle Cruise when I first returned after not having been in the park for 15 years. I'm sure there is a way to preserve the memories and experience but still utilize new technology. I don't buy the arguement that WDW doesn't need to update as much because of their attendance demographics. I want more. Fabulous--that is my simple request.

I've thought this many times myself.

the-reason14

Depends on your priorities. I agree with others on here that this makes it more likely Space Mountain will be down after Feb 15th. I also wonder if Space Mountain has been delayed because they are hoping to do one big refurb instead of the rumored 2 stage rehab. I hope so anyway. Space mountain needs to be gutted, cleaned throughly and a single track layout installed. :lookaroun

Hmm, if it matters, there were surveryers outside of Space Mt. the very last day I was there about 2 weeks ago. He asked if I wouldnt mind commenting on the ride, and I told him no not at all. He asked me to give him a rating on the ride experience itself, the staff, the fastpass wait time, and others. I figured it had to do with the rumors of it going down next year and that they wanted some people's opinions of the current state of the ride. So I was honest and said Id give it a 10, and he asked why, I said because it was one of the first roller coasters Ive ever ridden and I like it just the way it is. So hopefully if changes are a coming, its minor. And if it is down during one of my planned trips next year, Ill probably not go and wait and go when it reopens. But thats just me.

the-reason14

Oh, I'm definitely aware that E-tickets would be closed during my stay, I'm just baffled that it's the same ride as last time. I was expecting maybe Space Mountain or Test Track or something. Next thing we'll hear is that Rockin Roller Coaster is gonna be down in January (b/c that was closed last January also). Ugh. :hammer:

I cant really remember, but I think SplMt. was closed in January 05. I remember going down there for the weekend and I dont think it was open. I have that trip on tape, Ima find it and watch it.

If it was then I guess Jan. is the time of year they close SplMt. for repairs, in a way it makes sense, I mean its hardly anyone there that time of year and its alot cooler than it is in the summer.

DisneyGigi

We were leaning towards latter February anyway and as much as I love Space, I would rather go when it was down than Splash. :wave:

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
i hope the improve the audio on Splash M. Last time i was on it i could barely hear the audio...well until we go stuck on the ride for 20 mins...then all i could hear was that song repeating over and over....could've been worse though, could've been on SWorld.

I agree with this. I have always found the audio on this ride to be poor.

wvdisneyfamily

I'm sure this has probably already been discussed and my tired eyes are overlooking it, but wasn't it posted somewhere that Space Mountain was due for a refurb in January? I hope they give it some TLC. I'd love to see some cool effects. However, I hope they don't change the music. I literally have Space Mountain music cravings; I have Space Mountain music on MP3. Is that sad or what?:eek:

*Again*
Forgive me if I missed the answer to my question as I searched and skimmed through posts. I'm just trying to get a big picture of all the exicting work that's going on at WDW.
Refurbs = excuses for more trips!

TestTrack

Keep in mind that water is a very powerful force. Having a water attraction with mechanical and electrical elements in water take more maintanance than a ride like GMR. It's one thing to have animatronics. It's another thing to mix them with water. Look at Pirates and IASW. They both have water but for the most part keep animatronics and other mechanical and electrical components out of the water(except for our beloved mayor).

:wave:

gibson12

Keep in mind that water is a very powerful force.
PHP:
It's one thing to have animatronics. It's another thing to mix them with water. Look at Pirates and IASW. They both have water but for the most part keep animatronics and other mechanical and electrical components out of the water(except for our beloved mayor).

Actually, in the book "Pirates of the Caribbean: From the Magic Kindom to the Movies " they tell a little story about how they knew they couldn't keep submerging that character in real water because it would rot the costume. It says they used mineral oil. When I go, I try to look, but I don't really notice he has liquid on him of any kind. Maybe only WDR?

hansel1

The operational updates for Magic Kingdom January 2008 no longer show splash mountain or snow white. Maybe it's just disney's website or maybe they changed their mind having refurbed last january as well.

UPDATE: The disney site has once again added the splash and snow white closures.

Fantasmic

Whilst I enjoyed Splash Mountain this trip (3 weeks ago) I felt it needed a spruce up. Nothing major, just a good going over.

I think the CBJ could do with it too.

lilclerk

True.. but I would still plan around Splash

Splash is the one ride I would plan around too. I would be beyond bummed if it was down during my trip. I love the other attractions, but I can wait till next time for them. But Splash IS Disney to me. Of course, I am in no way against it going down and made better, but I don't want to be there for it.

Tom Morrow

If I'm not mistaken, this will be the third year in a row Splash gets a refurb. Is it just a really hard ride to maintain?

Magicfinder

There are posts in this thread about needing to expect more refurbs in the off-season (after all tickets are much cheaper). I don't buy into this philosophy.

The reason it is cheaper is to ENCOURAGE people to come during this time (kind of like having a sale when things are slow). The cheaper prices are not because you should expect more rides to be down.

I think having Splash down for refurb at the same time of year each year is a mistake. I agree it should be in Winter, but it shoudn't be the same month each year. Also, can't animatronics be cleaned & fixed while the park is closed at night? (The parks ARE closed for many hours each night in the off-season.) A yearly refurb seems unnecessary if daily preventative maintenance is done.

My thoughts...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If I'm not mistaken, this will be the third year in a row Splash gets a refurb. Is it just a really hard ride to maintain?
lots of water + lots of mechanics= lots of maintenance. It is also my understanding that there are a number of systems that can not be accessed without draining the water. If that is in fact the cast then a periodic shut down, drain and refurb is probably the most efficient way to keep the attraction maintained.

Patsc85

Hasn't SM been down for some sort of rehab almost every year? If not then they should, even if its to drain the water and let everything air out for a week or so. Out of the dozens of times I've been on SM over the past couple of months, I have only been on it once where all the effects were working properly. The worst break I have seen was when I saw brer fox standing on brer bears shoulders leaking what seemed to be hydraulic fluid all over brer bears costume. Other times the audio has stopped, or certain animatronics just didn't work.

Also the random soakings in the begining of the ride aren't all that new, and are timed. So if you are lucky enough to be floating by that spot when a boat is going down the drop, you will get wet. Sometimes the boat in front of you gets soaked, and you are dry as a bone. Its luck of the draw it seems.

But yeah, although I love SM...it really needs some sprucing up!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom