News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

DCLcruiser

The problem is that moderately upscale hotel decor isn’t really location specific. A nice Hilton in Japan isn’t that different from a nice Hilton in the US or Hawaii.

My assumption is that people go to Disney because they want to feel transported. That said, I think Riviera was more on the bland side and also sold really well, so they may be catering to a market who likes that more “generic greige” look. (I laugh about it, but honestly I do like it for home decor. It’s calming, it opens everything up, and it’s practical because you’re not constantly trying to match shades. It’s kind of like string lights - there’s just something about them, it’s hard for me to just say no to that look. It’s not what I go to Disney for, though.)
I get it, people want a stereotype, kitsch, romanticism (not necessarily bad, but not necessarily current).

White/Beige/Woods is the trend in high-end interior design. Hell, I remember staying at the Westin in Grand Cayman in 2013 and the decor was white, beige, wood and pops of teal pillows.

John park hopper

I get it, people want a stereotype, kitsch, romanticism (not necessarily bad, but not necessarily current).

White/Beige/Woods is the trend in high-end interior design. Hell, I remember staying at the Westin in Grand Cayman in 2013 and the decor was white, beige, wood and pops of teal pillows.
Grand Cayman is not Polynesia

Bocabear

The resorts were never supposed to be a copy of another resort found in Polynesia, but evoke the atmosphere and feeling of Polynesia.... If the resort evokes the feeling of any Marriott hotel, then thematically it is a failure. If you can find a hotel in Polynesia that has a similar aesthetic that also does not evoke it's location, it is also a design failure... The theme resorts were supposed to be transportive...not just nice... I think the design of the rooms is very pretty... but does not feel particularly transportive or evocative of the theme.

Epcot81Fan

The resorts were never supposed to be a copy of another resort found in Polynesia, but evoke the atmosphere and feeling of Polynesia.... If the resort evokes the feeling of any Marriott hotel, then thematically it is a failure. If you can find a hotel in Polynesia that has a similar aesthetic that also does not evoke it's location, it is also a design failure... The theme resorts were supposed to be transportive...not just nice... I think the design of the rooms is very pretty... but does not feel particularly transportive or evocative of the theme.
But, but, one of the walls is the same color as one at the Halekulani so…um…something!!!!

Last edited:

John park hopper

You stated my exactly feelings and that is what the original Poly did

DCLcruiser

Then you don't want a modern hotel. The white/beige/wood represents sand and driftwood, etc.

Polynesian Village offers an idealized vision of what Polynesia was.

Perhaps the DVC resort will use enough lush vegetation and flowers to transport you to Polynesia of 2024.

DisneyHead123

I'm on the fence regarding whether or not it's still the trend.

On the one hand, there's a lot of snark online about "sad beige". Indicating the pendulum might be about to swing on styles. I hear that in some areas, big, bold, wallpaper prints are even back in. Never thought I'd see wallpaper again!

On the other, I think the faux minimalist (faux because it really just means people can afford storage space), open concept, natural pale colors palate got popular for a reason. I don't think it was a kind of random trend. If you think about what the word "stuffy" means, in the most literal sense, it means "full of stuff". There's a reason people associate cluttered rooms with "stuffiness" and minimalist rooms with a feeling of openness and relaxation. Probably especially true for those of use who grew up during the "collectibles era" of the 80s and 90s where the trend was literal stuff, like, everywhere. You bought cabinets and shelves and more shelves to showcase it. Marie Kondo was just waiting to happen. So again, I don't know if this is a "trend", or likely going to be people's preference moving forward in the era of bigger buildings with more storage space.

Either way, however, I think it's a mistake (I think... again, Riviera DVC sold really well so what do I know) to assume that people want to look at their living room or even their favorite beachside Hilton while at Disney. I think that look is more for where people go to just "be" - to sit around and relax. Home and beach lines up with that, Disney parks do not. As much as I try (mostly in vain,) to declutter my house at home, there are some places in the world I would love to see or visit again specifically because they are full of interesting things. Tokyo definitely comes to mind... Vegas... anything Disney related... Dubai... heck even just Great Wolf Lodge. All of those places strike me as having a vibrant, playful, endless exploration type element. Like imagine taking your kid to Great Wolf lodge and suddenly everything is beige, lol! There's a time and a place. I just don't think Disney is it - but again, maybe they know something I don't. Maybe people want playful parks but bougie themed hotels, who knows?

DCLcruiser

I'm on the fence regarding whether or not it's still the trend.

On the one hand, there's a lot of snark online about "sad beige". Indicating the pendulum might be about to swing on styles. I hear that in some areas, big, bold, wallpaper prints are even back in. Never thought I'd see wallpaper again!

On the other, I think the faux minimalist (faux because it really just means people can afford storage space), open concept, natural pale colors palate got popular for a reason. I don't think it was a kind of random trend. If you think about what the word "stuffy" means, in the most literal sense, it means "full of stuff". There's a reason people associate cluttered rooms with "stuffiness" and minimalist rooms with a feeling of openness and relaxation. Probably especially true for those of use who grew up during the "collectibles era" of the 80s and 90s where the trend was literal stuff, like, everywhere. You bought cabinets and shelves and more shelves to showcase it. Marie Kondo was just waiting to happen. So again, I don't know if this is a "trend", or likely going to be people's preference moving forward in the era of bigger buildings with more storage space.

Either way, however, I think it's a mistake (I think... again, Riviera DVC sold really well so what do I know) to assume that people want to look at their living room or even their favorite beachside Hilton while at Disney. I think that look is more for where people go to just "be" - to sit around and relax. Home and beach lines up with that, Disney parks do not. As much as I try (mostly in vain,) to declutter my house at home, there are some places in the world I would love to see or visit again specifically because they are full of interesting things. Tokyo definitely comes to mind... Vegas... anything Disney related... Dubai... heck even just Great Wolf Lodge. All of those places strike me as having a vibrant, playful, endless exploration type element. Like imagine taking your kid to Great Wolf lodge and suddenly everything is beige, lol! There's a time and a place. I just don't think Disney is it - but again, maybe they know something I don't. Maybe people want playful parks but bougie themed hotels, who knows?
There could be a need to offer both. Some, want clean and modern, others want a tiki hut. Disney is offering two sides of the Polynesian coin.

It is like in DL Paris having a Cowboy/Western hotel and a modern City hotel. Both are American, one is Americana.

Beacon Joe

I guess this may be a move by Disney Co to gain customer share from all the current "Sad Beige Baby" parents who may start taking their tykes to WDW within the next couple of years.

BrianLo

I think from the remarks I am seeing across the board, Beige de-themed Marriott interiors are not what people want to purchase...but what they want to produce....

Whether we like it or not, this is not, in fact, true. Riviera rooms have proven incredibly preferential to purchasing members.

I think there is conflict between older membership/older members and newer, but this is what the majority of purchasers prefer these days.

Kitschy theming is not in style. Which everyone is open to preferring here on their own terms. But it’s not in style, which means it is not in fact the preference.

DisneyHead123

Whether we like it or not, this is not, in fact, true. Riviera rooms have proven incredibly preferential to purchasing members.

I think there is conflict between older membership/older members and newer, but this is what the majority of purchasers prefer these days.

Kitschy theming is not in style. Which everyone is open to preferring here on their own terms. But it’s not in style, which means it is not in fact the preference.

I'll be curious to see how this plays out. Riviera does have a couple of things that keep it from being totally in the "sad beige" category. It is slightly more colorful. It evokes that "vaguely European grey scheme hey maybe this is Harry Potter stuff?" feel that people go crazy for. And it's self-contained, so it is it's own little universe, as opposed to the Poly Tower, attached to the iconic Poly, with a very distinct and beloved look.

If Poly Tower sells like hotcakes I think it's confirmation that there is a strong market for the sad beige look. But even if it doesn't, I can understand their thinking in building it. Just because fashion is fickle and changes on a dime doesn't mean that wasn't a predominant look until quite recently (and again, I still like a very natural palate at home, just not what I'm looking for at Disney).

I will also say that "over the top theming" doesn't have to mean "kitschy". As I type this, my son is watching a video of Roma and Diana exploring theme parks in Abu Dhabi. Between them and Vlad and Niki I've also seen lots of Dubai destinations. They are over the top luxe but also over the top themed (honestly to a degree that might not be realistic for Disney in places, but just saying the two aren't mutually exclusive).

Beacon Joe

higgins.jpg

Found the room palatte inspiration.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom