News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

DznyRktekt

Guessing the wedding pavilion will be removed and a new venue designed and built. It has to be around 30 years old now. Seems that not many weddings today take place in a traditional, formal setting.

JoeCamel

Guessing the wedding pavilion will be removed and a new venue designed and built. It has to be around 30 years old now. Seems that not many weddings today take place in a traditional, formal setting.
I don't have recent data but I think the pavilion is fairly booked and makes so much margin it is a sacred cow. As it is they will do a wedding almost anywhere on property for enough cash including castle stage just not during park hours

DCLcruiser

Beacon Joe

Since when has Polynesia lost all its color and become bland beige, the at work looks nice just lacks color.

Maybe it's inspired by the color palatte of Waianae tract homes, specifically the driveways and curbs.

waianae.jpg

John park hopper

That's what modern Polynesian resorts look like. White, beige and natural woods.

Conrad Bora Bora https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/pptbnci-conrad-bora-bora-nui/
Hilton Tahiti https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/ppthihh-hilton-hotel-tahiti/
Sofitel Fiji https://www.sofitel-fiji.com/
All hotels built by major mainland corporations IMO don't reflect the Hawaiian culture

The Official Colors and Flowers of 8 Hawaiian islands​

Hawaii – Red – Lehua flower
Maui – Pink – Lokelani rose
Kahoolawe – Gray – Hinahina plant
Lanai – Orange – Kaunaoa plant
Molokai – Green – Kukui Nut flower
Oahu – Yellow – Ilima flower
Kauai – Purple – Mokihana berry
Niihau – White – White Pupu shell​

Don't see beige any where

DCLcruiser

All hotels built by major mainland corporations IMO don't reflect the Hawaiian culture

The Official Colors and Flowers of 8 Hawaiian islands​

Hawaii – Red – Lehua flower​

Maui – Pink – Lokelani rose​

Kahoolawe – Gray – Hinahina plant​

Lanai – Orange – Kaunaoa plant​

Molokai – Green – Kukui Nut flower​

Oahu – Yellow – Ilima flower​

Kauai – Purple – Mokihana berry​

Niihau – White – White Pupu shell​

Don't see beige any where
None of my examples were Hawaiian.

Here is the Halekulani (Waikiki Beach, Honolulu, Hawaii), which is one of the best hotels in Honolulu. Ranked #1 on TripAdvisor. It was ranked #2 in the world by NY Times (or some newspaper) back in the 1990s when I went as a kid.

Notice, the white, beige and natural wood colors. Color kitsch is not really in luxurious Polynesian hotels.

halekulani-gatehouse.jpeg

MouseEarsMom33

It appears they are keeping that side of the Polynesian tower white to blend in with the Pavilion. Unless there has been an updated paint work that I haven't seen yet.

DisneyHead123

None of my examples were Hawaiian.

Here is the Halekulani (Waikiki Beach, Honolulu, Hawaii), which is one of the best hotels in Honolulu. Ranked #1 on TripAdvisor. It was ranked #2 in the world by NY Times (or some newspaper) back in the 1990s when I went as a kid.

Notice, the white, beige and natural wood colors. Color kitsch is not really in luxurious Polynesian hotels.

The problem is that moderately upscale hotel decor isn’t really location specific. A nice Hilton in Japan isn’t that different from a nice Hilton in the US or Hawaii.

My assumption is that people go to Disney because they want to feel transported. That said, I think Riviera was more on the bland side and also sold really well, so they may be catering to a market who likes that more “generic greige” look. (I laugh about it, but honestly I do like it for home decor. It’s calming, it opens everything up, and it’s practical because you’re not constantly trying to match shades. It’s kind of like string lights - there’s just something about them, it’s hard for me to just say no to that look. It’s not what I go to Disney for, though.)

Disstevefan1

The problem is that moderately upscale hotel decor isn’t really location specific. A nice Hilton in Japan isn’t that different from a nice Hilton in the US or Hawaii.

My assumption is that people go to Disney because they want to feel transported. That said, I think Riviera was more on the bland side and also sold really well, so they may be catering to a market who likes that more “generic greige” look. (I laugh about it, but honestly I do like it for home decor. It’s calming, it opens everything up, and it’s practical because you’re not constantly trying to match shades. It’s kind of like string lights - there’s just something about them, it’s hard for me to just say no to that look. It’s not what I go to Disney for, though.)
Creative theming costs MONEY to create and maintain.

The more generic, the LESS MONEY it costs to build and maintain.

Cheap and generic is a page from the book of Chapek, and Iger goes right along with it.

TWDC wasn't damaged by Chapek, 🎶it was Iger all along🎶
IgerAllAlong.jpg

DisneyHead123

Creative theming costs MONEY to create and maintain.

The more generic, the LESS MONEY it costs to build and maintain.

Cheap and generic is a page from the book of Chapek, and Iger goes right along with it.

TWDC wasn't damaged by Chapek, 🎶it was Iger all along🎶
View attachment 805635
Lol! I know it’s not a popular opinion but I tend to cut Iger some slack as I think he is juggling lots of interests and has had to fend off at least two hostile takeovers that I can think of. I don’t think he’s a person who is just enamored with the parks by nature, but I see him as a reasonable type who can be convinced to invest in the parks when shown the benefit of that investment. And I think with the current dynamic of parks and cruises leading profits, that will probably happen.

I don’t know if the beige look is cheaper, or if it’s easier from a design perspective. I feel like themed hotels has to be an extremely niche thing in the design world, while the minimalist beige look is very popular, pretty forgiving, and there are probably lots of people who have worked with it. If you screw up a hotel that is meant to look like a longhouse the result could be anything from hideous to actually culturally offensive. If you screw up hard-to-make-out beige carvings on a beige wall surrounded by beige ceilings and beige floors and columns, at worst it’s probably a shrug and a snarky comment about beige. (Or, again, maybe that’s just what people want to purchase these days.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom