News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

Bocabear

if it sells like hotcakes...much like Riviera, I don't believe the decor is the selling feature but the proximity to the Skyliner or for the Poly, the monorail access to the magic kingdom... Basically just a nice hotel...location is the selling feature so why bother designing something that matches the resort? no one seems to care except us....

BrianLo

but does anyone want to spend $600 a night for a Hampton Inn? It should be more special... The theme was in fact what made the Disney Difference... And theme can be beautifully realized without being "kitschy".

It is themed though, you just don't like the current style trends. You like kitschy for Polynesia and that is not a criticism of you at all, but you are trying to impose your preferences as both more accurate to the location and more of the preferences of current buyers. Neither of which are reality.

I can very clearly tell a difference between these Poly rooms, new VGF Studios and Riviera. As muted as style trends are, they are different. This clearly evokes Polynesia (just not Disney Polynesia), because, again, that's not in style. Nor is it representative of actual Polynesia. DAK and Animal Kingdom Lodge... now those are things that are both themed and actually represent the places they are based on.

The Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn comparisons are a bit silly, particularly when OG Poly is far more evocative of an Inn. Even Marriott is not right, I know Marriott brand standards and this is not it. I'd say this Poly Tower reminds me far more of the Westin Brand, if people still want to lobby complaints again it, but at least be more accurate in their criticisms.

John park hopper

IMO it boils down to there are 2 camps one being people(me included) who remember when Disney resorts were built to evoke a feeling like you were some place special example the old Polynesian Resort and it's original lobby, Contemporary modern (modern for its time), PORFQ etc, The other camp are those people who either never experienced this and these generic DVC are just fine with them. Neither camp is wrong everyone is entitled to there opinion

nickys

Premium Member
If Poly Tower sells like hotcakes I think it's confirmation that there is a strong market for the sad beige look.
It will sell fast.

A lot of those sales will be existing owners, whether at the Poly or elsewhere, because they want the option for larger room types at that resort than just studios.

Some will just want direct Poly points with an incentive to sweeten the deal. They might never book the Tower rooms.

It will sell because it’s the Poly, with all the reasons that the Poly is popular with many guests.

DCLcruiser

IMO it boils down to there are 2 camps one being people(me included) who remember when Disney resorts were built to evoke a feeling like you were some place special example the old Polynesian Resort and it's original lobby, Contemporary modern (modern for its time), PORFQ etc, The other camp are those people who either never experienced this and these generic DVC are just fine with them. Neither camp is wrong everyone is entitled to there opinion
I absolutely prefer the overly themed resorts, but I understand why some aren't. I was originally defending the color pallete.

I think Wilderness Lodge is amazing in it's theming and execution. If it looked like a normal hotel with a few bear paintings, it wouldn't have the same impact. But, if the point was to make it a modern Denver hotel, then I get why it would be less kitschy.

dmw

In the Parks
No
What?!? You mean people can have different opinions and preferences and that is OK? Crazy talk... 😜

nickys

Premium Member
I absolutely prefer the overly themed resorts, but I understand why some aren't. I was originally defending the color pallete.

I think Wilderness Lodge is amazing in it's theming and execution. If it looked like a normal hotel with a few bear paintings, it wouldn't have the same impact. But, if the point was to make it a modern Denver hotel, then I get why it would be less kitschy.
And yet to me the converted Copper Creek rooms look like an IKEA showroom. With a few nods to the WL vibe.

Luckily the lobby hasn’t had that treatment. Yet.

James Alucobond

The exteriors and lobbies did always evoke a specific style and feeling, and I think most here agree that the exterior of this tower as shown in the renderings isn't what we'd have ideally selected. However, the rooms themselves were not originally especially kitschy or themed. They actually became more themed over time and then eased back slightly to their current state, but they ultimately still have more theming than when the resorts opened.

DisneyHead123

It will sell fast.

A lot of those sales will be existing owners, whether at the Poly or elsewhere, because they want the option for larger room types at that resort than just studios.

Some will just want direct Poly points with an incentive to sweeten the deal. They might never book the Tower rooms.

It will sell because it’s the Poly, with all the reasons that the Poly is popular with many guests.

Interesting. Maybe a better measure of popularity would be availability of smaller rooms after about 3 years, when the newness factor is gone.

I guess my thinking is - when you look at clothing, you don't see a lot of Beige Style at Disney. People go to Disney in their Disney shirts with their Disney backpacks with their children adorned in princess dresses and Buzz Lightyear shirts. They tend to flock to themed restaurants and ooh and aah over the latest themed snacks. They want iconic photos in front of the castle, not of them lounging in a white cutout swimsuit by an infinity pool. I'm still not sold on the fact that they want something like 'upscale beach town' decor at Disney. Maybe if they're at an actual upscale beach town, ok. But I don't think that's what people go to Disney for. I have no real dog in this fight, though, so I'll be interested to see what happens.

DCLcruiser

Interesting. Maybe a better measure of popularity would be availability of smaller rooms after about 3 years, when the newness factor is gone.

I guess my thinking is - when you look at clothing, you don't see a lot of Beige Style at Disney. People go to Disney in their Disney shirts with their Disney backpacks with their children adorned in princess dresses and Buzz Lightyear shirts. They tend to flock to themed restaurants and ooh and aah over the latest themed snacks. They want iconic photos in front of the castle, not of them lounging in a white cutout swimsuit by an infinity pool. I'm still not sold on the fact that they want something like 'upscale beach town' decor at Disney. Maybe if they're at an actual upscale beach town, ok. But I don't think that's what people go to Disney for. I have no real dog in this fight, though, so I'll be interested to see what happens.
Again, I love the theming at WDW resorts.

But, maybe some parents, after a day of chaos in an overstimulating park, want a tranquil oasis to return to at the end of the day?

Or, some of the "we go three times a year to eat and tour the hotels" crowd want a more upscale option to relax and not feel like all of their trips are to a kids park.

DisneyHead123

Semantic nitpick with the use of the word 'kitschy' in this thread - obviously very few want to stay at a kitschy hotel, because it's meant as a pejorative. Kitschy is another way of saying tacky. 'Immersive', 'themed', 'turbocharged themed' (in Disney speak), 'playful', 'over the top', sure. Kitschy, no.

DCLcruiser

Semantic nitpick with the use of the word 'kitschy' in this thread - obviously very few want to stay at a kitschy hotel, because it's meant as a pejorative. Kitschy is another way of saying tacky. 'Immersive', 'themed', 'turbocharged themed' (in Disney speak), 'playful', 'over the top', sure. Kitschy, no.
A tiki bar is kitschy.

I love Trader Sam's, etc. I am a rum-geek. Would I want that style in my house? Not really. So, kitschy is good or bad depending on the situation.

Disstevefan1

I agree, kitschy is the wrong world here..
More accurate words are; un-themed, generic, minimalistic, cost effective ;)

DisneyHead123

Again, I love the theming at WDW resorts.

But, maybe some parents, after a day of chaos in an overstimulating park, want a tranquil oasis to return to at the end of the day?

Or, some of the "we go three times a year to eat and tour the hotels" crowd want a more upscale option to relax and not feel like all of their trips are to a kids park.

It's possible, although I think the only evidence of that thus far is the sales at Riviera. Historically Saratoga Springs has been one of the more neutral resorts, and has not been a particularly hot ticket. I still think Riviera might be getting by on being vaguely European, a look many Americans are enamored with. I don't know if they could get away with that low key look anywhere.

DisneyHead123

A tiki bar is kitschy.

I love Trader Sam's, etc. I am a rum-geek. Would I want that style in my house? Not really. So, kitschy is good or bad depending on the situation.

Ok, fair to say in actual use it probably has different associations to different people. It sounds a little negative to me, but I think many mean it as "over the top fun retro" or something along those lines.

Disney Analyst

You know, for the price... I wish the Aulani rooms looked a bit more luxe.

1722630137955.png

I love how the resort looks, but the rooms don't inspire me to book a stay, not at that price.

Of course, I wouldn't pay the price for any of the MK resort loop hotels, but I much prefer the look of the new DVC rooms. They look luxe.

easyrowrdw

It is themed though, you just don't like the current style trends. You like kitschy for Polynesia and that is not a criticism of you at all, but you are trying to impose your preferences as both more accurate to the location and more of the preferences of current buyers. Neither of which are reality.

I can very clearly tell a difference between these Poly rooms, new VGF Studios and Riviera. As muted as style trends are, they are different. This clearly evokes Polynesia (just not Disney Polynesia), because, again, that's not in style. Nor is it representative of actual Polynesia. DAK and Animal Kingdom Lodge... now those are things that are both themed and actually represent the places they are based on.

The Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn comparisons are a bit silly, particularly when OG Poly is far more evocative of an Inn. Even Marriott is not right, I know Marriott brand standards and this is not it. I'd say this Poly Tower reminds me far more of the Westin Brand, if people still want to lobby complaints again it, but at least be more accurate in their criticisms.
I agree. I don’t love the design from what I’ve seen, but some of these comparisons strike me as ridiculous. Compared to the two two resorts I’ve stayed at in Hawaii, this one seems to fall in between in terms of “theming.” It doesn’t look as luxurious as those resorts but is nowhere near a Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn or any other mid-range hotel I’ve ever stayed in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom