News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

Inspired Figment

Now if Disney would just make a feature film about Dreamfinder (Starring Chris Pratt), how he discovered Figment and the Dream Port, then maybe we would have a better shot at getting a real complete overhaul to the franchise. The Bobs could be the master villains of the piece trying to drain imagination from the world in favor of corporate greed....
I HATE the idea of imagination being downgraded to the Play! pavilion...
I think the whole idea of the Play! Pavilion is about 12 years too late, and then completely rendered wrong in light of the Pandemic.
Make it a Weather Pavilion, Sky Pavilion, Extension to Mission Space Paviliion as the MarsPort...anything but this ridiculous placeholder of an idea.
They need to put some serious evergy into the Imagination Pavilion... Maybe moving One Man's Dream into the Theater lcocation with an Imagineering tie in...
That’s actually the story in the Figment origin story comics. The Chairman and the academy (aswell as chairman illocrant and the singular control bots) represent the current ugly state of the Disney company & Imagineering.

Inspired Figment

I believe the main culprit of the Imagination issue was Frozen Ever After.
Actually, I believe the main culprit of the Imagination issue is the suppression/lack of allowing any free spirited creativity or non-film IP based ideas from WDI to be greenlit for the parks. Couple that with the fact that the execs somehow believe it was already fixed by shoehorning Figment in there, cause that’s what they genuinely believe was the only problem with it when they changed it. Nope, the problem was they made it a Film-IP based experience that has little to do with imagination or Figment whatsoever.. and then shoehorned him as the interference to the film ip ride as the character that supposedly proves his “upside down” way of thinking right in the end by making a big stink about Channing’s completely flawed concept of what imagination is .. it’s wild what happened to that ride. Absolutely nonsensical. And it’s especially insane just how clueless upper management truly is. They really think the only thing that holds any value to the Disney company is their film & television production facilities and that the entire company should be synergized strictly around that.. when it couldn’t be any further from the truth.

Last edited:

Mickeynerd17

They really think the only thing that holds any value to the Disney company is their film & television production facilities and that the entire company should be synergized strictly around that.. when it couldn’t be any further from the truth.
That's one of the biggest problems. Their core business IS film and tv. The parks were added later and are treated as such.

In regards to figment, the entire pavilion looks like Horizons from 1998. The pyramids are seriously streaking with mold and gunk and the ride system sounds halfway dead with similar clunking to Spaceship Earth. I absolutely love figment and know Disney's done better, they just need to do it again!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
That's one of the biggest problems. Their core business IS film and tv. The parks were added later and are treated as such.

In regards to figment, the entire pavilion looks like Horizons from 1998. The pyramids are seriously streaking with mold and gunk and the ride system sounds halfway dead with similar clunking to Spaceship Earth. I absolutely love figment and know Disney's done better, they just need to do it again!

One would think the pyramids could be cleaned during the night, when it wouldn’t affect foot traffic and wouldn’t affect those sitting in the DVC lounge. Such a radical thought. 🙄

DoleWhipDrea

One would think the pyramids could be cleaned during the night, when it wouldn’t affect foot traffic and wouldn’t affect those sitting in the DVC lounge. Such a radical thought. 🙄
Every time I see how filthy those beautiful pyramids are, my heart sinks. Basic upkeep and cleanliness is so important...far more important than building a brand new festival center. Disney's priorities are so skewed.

And it's these parks that have been the rest of the company's lifeline when the rest of the company was losing money and incapable of entertaining large audiences in theaters. It would really behoove them to remember.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
But... Streaming!!! Iger took a “tremendous risk” with streaming, and now as a result of such visionary leadership, it will bring in tens of billions in profits in the next 12-24 months, according to Grand Poobah Chapek. So, those old theme parks and antiquated ideals from some dead guy are out the door. Who needs those things anyway, they are stupid entertainment for stupid people who like non-descript coasters themed to India or something.

FerretAfros

Your right. I was just referring to how things are running currently.

It's not just how the company operated back in the Walt Disney Productions days; the parks and resorts are still a massive part of The Walt Disney Company as it operates today. According to the 2019 financial report, the DPEP division is responsible for the largest share of the company's revenue (~37.7%) and second largest share of its profit (~45.5%).

capture.jpg

Even in FY2020, when the parks and hotels were all shuttered for varying portions of the year, and running at severely reduced capacity when/if they reopened, and consumers were stuck at home consuming their direct-to-consumer content, DPEP still managed to perform better than DTC. DTC's losses are were nearly 35 times greater than DPEP, which is really impressive when you consider how little overhead that division has.

Capture2.JPG

Parks aren't just a side business for Disney to make a little extra cash. They're the core product that has time and again allowed the company to ride out the fickle nature of the film and television industry. Even during recessions and other periods when tourism has declined, they still remain one of the strongest and most reliable parts of the company.

If the parks weren't printing cash, why else would the company have treated WDW like the company's ATM for all these years?

UNCgolf

It's not just how the company operated back in the Walt Disney Productions days; the parks and resorts are still a massive part of The Walt Disney Company as it operates today. According to the 2019 financial report, the DPEP division is responsible for the largest share of the company's revenue (~37.7%) and second largest share of its profit (~45.5%).

View attachment 553027

Even in FY2020, when the parks and hotels were all shuttered for varying portions of the year, and running at severely reduced capacity when/if they reopened, and consumers were stuck at home consuming their direct-to-consumer content, DPEP still managed to perform better than DTC. DTC's losses are were nearly 35 times greater than DPEP, which is really impressive when you consider how little overhead that division has.

View attachment 553033

Parks aren't just a side business for Disney to make a little extra cash. They're the core product that has time and again allowed the company to ride out the fickle nature of the film and television industry. Even during recessions and other periods when tourism has declined, they still remain one of the strongest and most reliable parts of the company.

If the parks weren't printing cash, why else would the company have treated WDW like the company's ATM for all these years?

I wouldn't be surprised to see the parks surpass media networks in profit relatively soon. Most indications are that ESPN is still the largest driver of profit for the media networks, but it's producing less and less every year. ESPN+ will help, but I'd expect the parks profits to keep going up as they continually raise prices whereas the media network profits are likely to stagnate to some extent.

EDIT: Actually I wasn't thinking about Disney+ as part of the media networks. That will obviously be a nice boost as well, but I still think we might see parks leapfrog ahead of media sometime in the next decade or two.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

Streaming is an expensive line of business because you have to constantly provide new content that a great deal of subscribers want to watch or risk losing subscribers. Plus there’s always a plateau.
Let's not pretend plateaus are bad. The current Wall Street mindset that profits must continue to rise and that no business can be successful with profits remaining flat is simply dumb.

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

The entire concept of the Play Pavilion further shows that the new direction for the park is fundamentally flawed. EPCOT (or more particularly Future World) never needed a kids zone because almost everything there was suitable for all ages, save for a few things that might've been considered too boring for some. Wonders of Life used to be the only thing on that side of the park with a thrill ride, and even it was only one section of a much broader pavilion containing plenty of things for all ages. Flash forward to today, and it's the only thing little kids have to do there. Everything else in Future World East is a thrill ride that the little kids can't do. And is Play going to be that all ages experience that side of the park needs? Nope, exclusively catering to the demographic they conveniently excluded from everything else.
If Wonders was downgraded to Play, it's only a matter of time until Imagination get's downgraded to Social (the Wonders of Social Media).

I can see it now - an homage to the selfie... the neverending role of the social influencer... the Twitterverse of Wonder.

I can't wait!!!

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Honestly, I think a full out Cranium Command pavilion would have been lit. Get the OG show back up (maybe re-record with new live actors)... Get a VR-experience in the center of the pavilion where the three theaters are/were... Interactive stuff here and there, a quick service restaurant, and a big E-Ticket where Body Wars was. Let's do it.

Inspired Figment

Inside Out does not deserve the praise it gets. It was fine but no where near Pixar’s best.
I mean, I really enjoyed Inside Out personally as a film.. but I just don’t think it should come in at the ‘expense’ of park-original concepts.. particularly ones that ‘already’ have memorable, well-loved characters. I think it’d be nice to perhaps have Inside Out as ‘one’ of the attractions in an upgraded Wonders of Life pavilion.. but it shouldn’t have to take over the ‘entire’ pavilion.
One idea I had was if Wonders of Life.. and as a result, ‘Cranium Command’ ever came back.. you could have multiple different shows it’d alternate between at different times (the original we all know & love, an Inside Out/ Riley themed one, and last but not least.. with an Inner Workings one) .. ‘all’ starring Captain Buzzy and General Knowledge who have to work together with either the brain/bodily functions & emotions to get Bobby, Riley, and Paul through their day. It’d totally work.. but sadly it’d seem today’s WDI is not allowed to be as ambitious with doing something like that… hope that changes soon.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom