News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

ChrisFL

Premium Member
if I'm reading Martin's cryptic messages correctly (and I could be WAAAY off), it sounds like the Imagination pavilion may get some kind of extension, possibly tearing down the theater and adding something else....maybe for an extended ride experience? I'm not expecting Martin to spill anything, just saying how I'm reading into it.

CinematicFusion

I have no problem with the "play pavilion"....except one. These type of places usually get dated pretty fast. Maybe this one won't.
It's a good spot for it. That pavilion has been off the radar for years and it was my least favorite back when the park opened.
I'm sure it will be a solid place for young families to explore with awesome air conditioning to get you out of the July heat.

DreamfinderGuy

There was a post a few years ago that there was demolition in WoL but, from looking at the building you couldn't tell what they did...Imagineers set to demo part of WOL pavilion.. It was however for removal of the body wars vehicles and displays around the pavilion..
That pretty much ended up being nothing. They partially knocked out some walls that are still half standing today, nothing to do with the simulators which were previously removed. 2016 saw them bring the building up to code, and cement off the old pits

Cmdr_Crimson

if I'm reading Martin's cryptic messages correctly (and I could be WAAAY off), it sounds like the Imagination pavilion may get some kind of extension, possibly tearing down the theater and adding something else....maybe for an extended ride experience? I'm not expecting Martin to spill anything, just saying how I'm reading into it.
Well, the old track is still under the floor..Wishful thinking!

trainplane3

I've been thinking the same. Demo the theater, build a third glass pyramid to compliment the others, reroute the outdoor ramp that led to the theater to lead into the now center pyramid for a Imageworks style area (thus making it ada compliant), and make the entire first floor the ride (like it once was).

DocAlan02

As a former cast member who worked in Wonders in the early 90s and as someone who has always loved EPCOT, I will say that I am thrilled that something, at least, is happening in this building. I liked old EPCOT better than new Epcot, but I still love the park (even if my love is mostly based on nostalgia) and I am excited to see what this ends up being. It has made me sad to see the building sitting and basically rotting for all these years.

DanielBB8

Let’s endlessly debate the past Epcot because it was so good. Not really, but people sure love the nostalgia. This new Play Pavilion is more about the past than the future. It has no rides just like Innoventions. So we complain about something that’s more past Epcot than future Epcot. I’m already bored about it. That means it’s working.

jt04

Let’s endlessly debate the past Epcot because it was so good. Not really, but people sure love the nostalgia. This new Play Pavilion is more about the past than the future. It has no rides just like Innoventions. So we complain about something that’s more past Epcot than future Epcot. I’m already bored about it. That means it’s working.

Agreed. Definitely a middle ground placeholder. More convinced than ever Marvel content is the long term goal.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I won’t.

I don’t believe so.
Good. This is one of my favorite views of the park. I know Innoventions is likely a goner, but I'm hopeful that some of this will be retained.

(Taken on Wednesday of this week)

KingOfEpicocity

I don't think we will see these tracks return. The only reason I say that is when I listen to these tracks and other Wonders BGM, it screams late 80s/early 90s to me. With Disney building a "new" pavilion they will certainly want to avoid playing "old" music that you would have heard walking around the mall in the 90s. Truthfully, I hope I'm completely off the mark here but I don't think that will be the case.
That’s a shame. I find a lot of the tracks in that loop to be really timeless and beautiful. It would be a relatively inexpensive and easy process, and a nice nod to WOL fans. I guess I better lower my expectations... at least Epcot could get a new amazing music loop!

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I wish the first thing Disney had announced as part of this roll-out was the new, grand organizing principle for EPCOT. Maybe the plans for Imagination and the Spine will compensate for this start. But this opening salvo raises doubts that such a unifying vision exists.

Methinks they no longer care about this type of thing. My guess is that they feel the whole vision thing holds them back. I concur that a unifying vision actually helps flesh out a park, I just think they've decided to hell with that.

Spash007

I am really starting to find amusing the people so beyond prejudiced they can't take something as it is, and they pretty much fall into two camps: 1) Never change, only the original Epcot will do (and as such any new addition will be bad) and 2) you NEED rides, and only rides.

Is this idea original Epcot? Not at all. But it is the closest thing to an actual pavilion that incorporates some activity and exploration that we have seen in a long time. If they can come up with something close to the original idea of Epcot that incorporates IPs (because lets face it, they won't do otherwise), I'll take it. I'm not going to complain about things that are never going to happen again, I'd rather just be happy that at least they're trying to find a middle ground.

DanielBB8

Methinks they no longer care about this type of thing. My guess is that they feel the whole vision thing holds them back. I concur that a unifying vision actually helps flesh out a park, I just think they've decided to hell with that.
Let’s not assume Imagineering doesn’t use principals and backstories. They do. It’s just that it’s no longer accessible to guests. They are complicated and detailed. When I heard about the Big Thunder backstory complete with a portrait that looks very much like Tony Baxter, well, I just decided to ignore it.

Future World has an overarching theme: technology innovation.

So we will pretend it is represented in Epcot. (Not really) And it will be fun although largely boring.

Raineman

I am really starting to find amusing the people so beyond prejudiced they can't take something as it is, and they pretty much fall into two camps: 1) Never change, only the original Epcot will do (and as such any new addition will be bad) and 2) you NEED rides, and only rides.

Is this idea original Epcot? Not at all. But it is the closest thing to an actual pavilion that incorporates some activity and exploration that we have seen in a long time. If they can come up with something close to the original idea of Epcot that incorporates IPs (because lets face it, they won't do otherwise), I'll take it. I'm not going to complain about things that are never going to happen again, I'd rather just be happy that at least they're trying to find a middle ground.
There are way too many people on this forum who already have a preconceived mindset when it comes to any additions/changes at WDW. If it's not an IP-free E ticket, then they hate it. Along the same vein, some of these people see one piece of concept art and start dumping all over it-I wish I could see into the future like they do. I couldn't count how many posts were decrying Pandora and TSL before they even started building those lands. Do I miss the original Epcot? Absolutely. But that is gone, and never coming back, so pining and complaining about it will not bring it back, it will just make you miserable. For myself, there is still enough of the old Epcot left, along with alot of the newer stuff, that I can enjoy a day there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom