News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

doctornick

I absolutely agree! This space is so needed. Basically a centralized kids area with meet and greets. Current m&g are kinda squeezed everywhere right now. I feel like the budget should be somewhat minimal and would just be surprised to see this canceled.

I would be surprised to see it cancelled especially if a lot of the fabrication and instillation were already done. I feel like pre-pandemic people were talking about how they were working on the inside so I've wondered how much was completed.

This is definitely something that would help that side of the park as an indoor area that would be useful for all age (as all the rides on that side of old FW have certain thrill level/height restrictions now). I've hoped that they would at least open Play and then from there later add a new ride or show into the existing spaces of the building (which are apparently just being left empty with Play).

J4546

the new communicore plaza has a couple stages and dedicated character meet n greets...maybe after considering what the new plaza would bring and what the play pavilion was supposed to be they decided to change the concept of what that pavilion should be? I guess we will find out in time

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
the new communicore plaza has a couple stages and dedicated character meet n greets...maybe after considering what the new plaza would bring and what the play pavilion was supposed to be they decided to change the concept of what that pavilion should be? I guess we will find out in time
The new Communicore Plaza building will seem to hold the same Mickey & Friends M&Gs that the old building in the SW quadrant also had.

This will pull Mickey & friends out of the Imagination building and random M&Gs.

PLAY! should theoretically be the home for Inside Out, Big Hero 6, Wreck-it Ralph and other misc. M&Gs.

mattpeto

The new Communicore Plaza building will seem to hold the same Mickey & Friends M&Gs that the old building in the SW quadrant also had.

This will pull Mickey & friends out of the Imagination building and random M&Gs.

PLAY! should theoretically be the home for Inside Out, Big Hero 6, Wreck-it Ralph and other misc. M&Gs.
cough cough WALL-E.

I'm not an IP hater, but how in the world is that perfect IP not in Epcot at all?

TwilightZone

I still think the concept of play could've been great if it focused more on the tech side than the IP side (or integrated the two in a natural way). Kinda like a modern innoventions, but instead of showcasing sponsor tech, it showcases how technology can be incorporated with entertainment.

The "art academy" could show how tablets and other technology influence modern animation and art, for example.

CJR

It could easily be that their source's desire is shielding the reality. This isn't their first speculation piece about Play! being canceled.

Agree that a simple push down the project list makes sense for many reasons. It will not take a lot of money to get the building ready to open at this point, it's definitely more about staffing.

Brer Panther

They have a perfect IP to restore Wonders Of Life staring them in the face. (Inside Out) I am shocked they don't use it.
That's the IP they want to shove into the Imagination pavilion. Even though having it in Wonders of Life would make far more sense.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Remember: The cancelation of PLAY! is still a rumor. And consider the source.
It's also transparently nonsense.

The executive retreat during which this "decision" was allegedly made is not a "parks managers sit around and make operational decisions" type of event. I'd wager that the majority of attendees weren't even Parks people to begin with. The types of topics they talk about at these things are like... overarching company strategy, media narratives, how Bob wants to handle controversial social issues going forward, what the research teams are saying about the ad sales and pay TV landscape in the coming years, whether we're about to enter a recession, how the midterm elections could affect the company, major new HR news or initiatives, etc.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
If the Board actually canceled it this week, why release that exclusively to the bad site? They hate him.

Also, I doubt the Board would make a decision like that. Might they have decided to pull its FY23 funding and shuttle it elsewhere? Sure. That would delay the project by a year (if it then was added to the FY24 budget). But a cancellation from that group seems unlikely.
The Board wasn't even there. This was a management retreat, not a Board retreat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom